• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Sam, I think this is your best review to date. You touched upon the twisted themes of this arc and even brought up new perspectives that I didn't realize before
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, we know Jimbei's not in the new movie and he's not in the new game as a Straw Hat so One Piece just lost a lot of street cred for me Evil or Very Mad I've been waiting literally YEARS for Jimbei to join the crew for real!
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't put into words the rage I felt when Jimbei jumped off that ship. We've been waiting years for this moment. He BETTER show up in the Wano ark! If he doesn't....I'll keep watching anyway. But I'll be really mad while watching!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
rest assured, he will be back. he said he will after all. or at least have the impression that he did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
Screw Jinbei. That is all
Sports_Medicine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow that just might be the best review I've read about any series ever, it really goes well beyond the realm of just being an episode review.

I have a lot of opinions of Whole Cake Island but it will take some time to get my thoughts together so I'll save that for another post. For now I can only hope the anime does the Reverie justice, it might be too short to call it an arc but it's probably my favorite stretch of chapters since the time skip. Also it would be nice to have a real filler arc before Wano so we can get some decently paced episodes.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the most genuinely thoughtful One Piece essay I've ever seen. Well done, Sam. One Piece's prestige as a Shonen series has waned a fair bit over the 2010s (though not to the level of fellow "Big 3" members, Naruto and Bleach) partly due to a general feeling that that post Marineford Arc arcs arcs haven't been as good as the ones who've come before the time-skip, partly due to Toei Animation's increasingly uneven handling of the anime and partly because series like Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and even a resurrected Dragon Ball have stole the spotlight away from it. So getting an in-depth article even in the form of review thoughtful extolling it's virtues is a nice surprise.

Quote:
Long-form storytelling offers a chance to reflect a side of life that's otherwise impossible to portray. In a series like One Piece, the most important event of your life can just come and go. The sun rises and sets, and a new most important thing is always on the horizon. You can sense the ways in which the cyclical nature of this series is taking its toll, and One Piece's never-ending gusto shouldn't be mistaken for immortality. This isn't Dragon Ball, which can be revived repeatedly over generations without its "soul" feeling betrayed on some level. One Piece is meaningful because it will someday end, in the same way the sun will eventually expand and consume the earth. The greatest testament to this series' unyielding resilience is how fearlessly it can look into that abyss and still desire to keep moving, to experience every drop of life it can squeeze from the remainder of its withering body. I envy that strength.

It's been nearly 22 years since the manga began and the anime adaptation will hit 20 in October and we still don't even see the beginnings of an end game in sight. It may someday end but that end is as far off in the distance as saying traveling to Mars if not Pluto.
laddy-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
good review..! especially enjoyed this part:

Quote:
The Straw Hats are anarchic spirits, standing precariously between just doing whatever they want and doing good things for other people—whatever keeps them likable while still being roguish and self-centered—but any talk of morality will always draw back to the impact that their role models and parental figures (rarely blood-related parents) had on them. Your values get coded into you at a young age, and whether you've got a good role model or a bad one seems to be a matter of dumb luck. You don't get to choose where love comes from, but when you find it, it's up to you to nurture it and keep on surviving.

the bold part is what really hit me- It nails the reason heroes are necessary and important. it's the choices they make, and few series justify their characters and choices as well as one piece.
..I think I'll go read the manga now, since you speak so highly of this ark
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:33 am Reply with quote
A masterpiece of a review (and an overview of the whole arc at that) for a masterful conclusion of one of the best arcs in One Piece.

Nice going, I'm bookmarking this as a reference to future discussions regarding WCI.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 am Reply with quote
unfortunately the fans who like to do those annoying shippings have more or less screaming for koby and rebecca to be the next it couple!

definitely dont do the series good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adv193

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well despite the obvious fact that they are extending the Reverie Arc abit with clip shows to both deal to reacquaint older viewers with these characters and newer viewers that never seen those previous story arcs before, along with making sure the manga stays ahead, I am glad all the primary clip show stuff is done, because once the rest of the material is used then it is on to Wano Country.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Question – Why did Luffy bounty go up after beating Big Mommy. Big Mommy was a pirate so why should the government care?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Azumi14 wrote:
Question – Why did Luffy bounty go up after beating Big Mommy. Big Mommy was a pirate so why should the government care?

Because beating someone powerful means that you're even more powerful, and therefore even more of a threat to the world at large. Directly confronting a Yonkou is enough to get you serious street cred. Never mind that Luffy never stood a chance against Big Mom in a one-on-one fight, it's the perception that matters, and as was shown several episodes ago, Luffy is now publicly perceived as being on the same level as the Yonkou.

Anyways, while the recaps have been predictably wreaking havoc with the Reverie's pacing, it's honestly been nice to look back to iconic moments like Alabasta and Drum Island and get a serious nostalgia kick. And as Sam noted, the last week or two has really started to ratchet up the new content. Most importantly, though, the Straw Hat Princess Fanclub is everything I ever wanted it to be.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Azumi14 wrote:

Because beating someone powerful means that you're even more powerful, and therefore even more of a threat to the world at large. Directly confronting a Yonkou is enough to get you serious street cred. Never mind that Luffy never stood a chance against Big Mom in a one-on-one fight, it's the perception that matters, and as was shown several episodes ago, Luffy is now publicly perceived as being on the same level as the Yonkou.

Which we know does not fit into the desires of the Five Elders.

They want there to be a balance maintained between the Marine Headquarters, the Seven Warlords and Four Emperors, so when Morgans declares Luffy the Fifth Emperor the balance is thrown off.

Presumably Fujitora disobeying orders to show up at the reverie to convince countries to abandon the Seven Warlord programme is also probably going to cause problems on that front.

I always like the little glimpses we get of Sakazuki in the role of Fleet Admiral, a role he seems frustrated by now he's got it, as presumably he'd like to push to destroy piracy rather than maintain a balance that involves allowing certain pirates a degree of power.
SuperRed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Before the time-skip was introduced, you could have imagined the Straw Hats' adventures already took place over several years. Was Zoro still a fresh-faced nineteen-year old? He could have been thirty by that point for all we knew.

Pretty sure that any attentive watcher/reader would have known that all their adventures took place in only a few months.

It's kinda funny how Vivre card supplemental material kinda basically implies that all of Whiskey Peak to when they finally depart from Water 7 spanned the months of February to late March.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 48