• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest Anime's Video Reveals More Cast, Staff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDragonking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:43 am Reply with quote
Darn was hoping Tio would be played by Chiwa Saito or Eri Kitamura, but Yōko Hikasa is just as good.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
The character designs just keep getting better.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ Wonder how they’ll handle it when they do the sexing. ]
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 am Reply with quote
Ugh! another isekai of these who believe themselves superior just for having tortured the protagonist in the first arc so that later he becomes a badass OP anyway just because, they made him suffer or he was bullied obliges us to put ourselves on the side of the protagonist through mercy, but unlike the salty shield hero this is more honest, is a harem from the beginning and do not pretend to pretend they are his daughters and do not have idiots bothering the protagonist who do not even serve as villains since they are useless, Hajime instead faces terrible monsters and gods.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
Ugh! another isekai of these who believe themselves superior just for having tortured the protagonist in the first arc so that later he becomes a badass OP anyway just because, they made him suffer or he was bullied obliges us to put ourselves on the side of the protagonist through mercy, but unlike the salty shield hero this is more honest, is a harem from the beginning and do not pretend to pretend they are his daughters and do not have idiots bothering the protagonist who do not even serve as villains since they are useless, Hajime instead faces terrible monsters and gods.

I don't understand. Are you trying to mock it or praise it?
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:

I meditated for a while and concluded that Arifureta is decent.
Amuris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:

it really isn't. It will be fun at the beginning for most of the people who'll watch it but after awhile it will start to undermine itself. It's jokes will get repetative and mostly revolve around the mc beating up guys who hit on his harem and he'll start cringing when people call him out on being chuuni. I mean, at first it's suppose to be like he's undergoing a transformation in his character but later you find out he was just acting out this character he made up. The shield hero is much better overall. The story is about him growing out of that angst and learning to coup with his anger. He also meets people who serve as his equals and change his views on the world. Hajime, the mc of Arifureta, is just acting out a character and everyone around him either bows to how great he is or is blindingly stupid (do people still use "Kouki" as an insult?) all the way to the end of the story. If you give both equal time, I can't see why you would like this over shield hero and if you've just seen the earlier parts of both I would think you would hate or like them both.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
Amuris wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:

it really isn't. It will be fun at the beginning for most of the people who'll watch it but after awhile it will start to undermine itself. It's jokes will get repetative and mostly revolve around the mc beating up guys who hit on his harem and he'll start cringing when people call him out on being chuuni. I mean, at first it's suppose to be like he's undergoing a transformation in his character but later you find out he was just acting out this character he made up. The shield hero is much better overall. The story is about him growing out of that angst and learning to coup with his anger. He also meets people who serve as his equals and change his views on the world. Hajime, the mc of Arifureta, is just acting out a character and everyone around him either bows to how great he is or is blindingly stupid (do people still use "Kouki" as an insult?) all the way to the end of the story. If you give both equal time, I can't see why you would like this over shield hero and if you've just seen the earlier parts of both I would think you would hate or like them both.

The protagonist is only a beta that is only defined by his traumatic experience this commits the same mistake as many stories where he does not know how to define his character with something other than his anguish and bitterness, whose first response to being given super powers and noble status is to throw a tantrum that other people are getting more than him. It does create a nice parallel when he's accused of rape though, since those two scenes of him stomping his foot petulantly and complaining that things aren't fair are the only times in the entire of the first episode where he does anything but sit patiently through a tutorial. I get that it's supposed to be pretty similar to the origin story of a supervillain, but he's both petty and a bore; outrage over imagined entitlement personified as his only acts of anything approaching agency. He might at least be a little sympathetic if he showed any heroism at any point, or at least interesting if he, well, did a damn thing or had the barest trace of ambition or even excitement about the situation. Even reluctance would have been a facet to his character, albeit I doubt one that would have improved it. The undeserved punishment is why we're supposed to feel for him (Although it is totally forced and artificial), but if you were to rewrite his 'fall' to instead be "We gave you a chance to be a hero, and you showed yourself to be lacking in every way," but no, the only thing that plot does is bastardize the rest of the heroes, so that MC this is better in comparison, then the lesson here is: "is that all the others are fools I am the only one who is right".
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
Amuris wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:
Norm the genius wrote:

The protagonist is only a beta that is only defined by his traumatic experience this commits the same mistake as many stories where he does not know how to define his character with something other than his anguish and bitterness, whose first response to being given super powers and noble status is to throw a tantrum that other people are getting more than him. It does create a nice parallel when he's accused of rape though, since those two scenes of him stomping his foot petulantly and complaining that things aren't fair are the only times in the entire of the first episode where he does anything but sit patiently through a tutorial. I get that it's supposed to be pretty similar to the origin story of a supervillain, but he's both petty and a bore; outrage over imagined entitlement personified as his only acts of anything approaching agency. He might at least be a little sympathetic if he showed any heroism at any point, or at least interesting if he, well, did a damn thing or had the barest trace of ambition or even excitement about the situation. Even reluctance would have been a facet to his character, albeit I doubt one that would have improved it. The undeserved punishment is why we're supposed to feel for him (Although it is totally forced and artificial), but if you were to rewrite his 'fall' to instead be "We gave you a chance to be a hero, and you showed yourself to be lacking in every way," but no, the only thing that plot does is bastardize the rest of the heroes, so that MC this is better in comparison, then the lesson here is: "is that all the others are fools I am the only one who is right".

Well, rather than a story where the protagonist get wrecked from the start out of nowhere (or how they need a long long time before they can explain why), I like a straightforward story more. Of course Arifureta have that kinda 'mistery as to why something happen they can only tell later' too, but they didn't use it as the reason to make the protagonist the only one who is special like most isekai story. Rather, Arifureta's protagonist is just someone with a personal problem, get a power to resolve his and only his own problem, but coincidentally his power is something that can also be used to resolve someone else bigger problem. It doesn't have to be him who get the power, but because it's him is the thing that make this story interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1