• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhisa Nakata's Levius Sci-fi Boxing Manga Gets Anime Series This Winter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Man Polygon has been getting a lot of projects! Not that I mind since they are doing a pretty great job at delivering great shows. And this looks pretty cool.

Now I'm hoping Blame! 2 and Sidonia 3 aren't too far!
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that Megalobox was conceptualized around 2016-2017, this looks like the kind of situation Isekai Izakaya faced, where that manga came out before the source manga of Restaurant to Another World, yet the latter made it to anime first. People inevitably called the older Isekai Izakaya a "ripoff," and it didn't help that its anime was considered lower in quality by general consensus.

(Megalobox of course has far older roots in Ashita no Joe, but there were no robot arms there.)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Even if this manga came out before Megalobox, the timing of this adaptation still makes it seem like Netflix is trying to capitalize on Megalobox's success, especially after it got so many nominations in the Crunchyroll awards.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I forgot that some would see it as a negative thing for Netflix to make decisions on that basis. I try to support the shows I like partly because I want the industry to cash in. When there's a distinct gimmick I like, I want more of it to come out.

People say moe military is oversaturated, but to me there's still not nearly enough. I'm not familiar with Azur Lane aside from seeing pictures of its characters, but I'm looking forward to its anime more than to KanColle 2, simply because Azur Lane is a new thing.

Before the first Pacific Rim came out, some were hoping that if it became a hit, it might spurn western media to make more mecha movies and shows.

I think Netflix's decision was based on the general popularity of Megalobox, though. The CR award nominations are decided by a selected group of judges, who do not represent audiences in general. Megalobox was nominated in eight categories and didn't win the popular vote in any of them. https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/02/16/winners-of-the-2019-anime-awardsupdated-live But anyone who follows anime community talk online knows that it was a popular show, regardless of awards.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Man Polygon has been getting a lot of projects! Not that I mind since they are doing a pretty great job at delivering great shows. And this looks pretty cool.

I know, been waiting for Sidonia 3 for a whole now. I'm a big fan of Polygon's work and I hope this one is good too.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
Weirdly enough Megalo Box has been added to Netflix's catalogue a few weeks ago in the region I live, so they producing a series that has the same concept seems weird. This reminds me how Netflix got the rights for Baki and Kengan Ashura, which I heard are kind of similar in concept.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Having just watched and loved Megalobox on Toonami, despite not usually watching sports anime, I'm IN for giving this a shot.

RealMTL wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

I know, been waiting for Sidonia 3 for a whole now. I'm a big fan of Polygon's work and I hope this one is good too.

This. I need it! Also Blame! 2 as well.

I wonder if we'll ever see Biomega get animated?

The start to Aposimz has been really cool as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1