• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
There is a lot of legalese being thrown around right now over this. I can't say what the true reason for Kameha Con re-inviting Vic is, but I have heard that the contract with inviting Vic was broken and put Vic in a position of suing the con if so desired, so re-inviting him was an attempt to avoid such a scenario.

Naturally, Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, et. al. are breaching their contracts with Kameha Con and this is going to make everything significantly uglier. I've also heard that Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, and Chris Rager all threatened Kameha Con via emails and text messages and this is going to be a massive pile of evidence in court down the line one way or another.

This is just really ugly and I don't think anyone is coming out of this unscathed at the end. What should have been a quiet blacklisting of Vic has turned into a Pyrrhic Victory, where Vic is out of the industry but everyone else will be suffering permanent blows to their reputations and possibly lose a pile of money to Vic. Not to mention the re-ignition of the sub vs dub wars and permanent schisms in the anime fandom.

This could have all been avoided. Does no one follow legal advice anymore?
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Shame on the organizers of Kameha Con. What an underhanded, disgusting move. If they want Vic there so bad, then I hope every other guest and every panelist backs out. It would serve them right.

If a convention I went to invited that creep, I would swear that event off for good, even if it were a marquee thing like Ota or Acen.

Maybe the poster above is right and maybe there was a contract involved, but I’d argue there’s even greater liability for an event that *does* let him attend. They should’ve stuck to their guns and sided with their attendees.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
There is a lot of legalese being thrown around right now over this. I can't say what the true reason for Kameha Con re-inviting Vic is, but I have heard that the contract with inviting Vic was broken and put Vic in a position of suing the con if so desired, so re-inviting him was an attempt to avoid such a scenario.

Naturally, Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, et. al. are breaching their contracts with Kameha Con and this is going to make everything significantly uglier. I've also heard that Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, and Chris Rager all threatened Kameha Con via emails and text messages and this is going to be a massive pile of evidence in court down the line one way or another.

This is just really ugly and I don't think anyone is coming out of this unscathed at the end. What should have been a quiet blacklisting of Vic has turned into a Pyrrhic Victory, where Vic is out of the industry but everyone else will be suffering permanent blows to their reputations and possibly lose a pile of money to Vic. Not to mention the re-ignition of the sub vs dub wars and permanent schisms in the anime fandom.

This could have all been avoided. Does no one follow legal advice anymore?

Kameha Con announcing Vic as a guest in such an unexpected manner backtracks their stance of not having Vic as a guest. Whether or not this could be seen as "lying" or "just changing their mind", I think such an action justifies these guests canceling their appearances. I don't know much about contract laws, but I think if Party A acts in a way that contradicts what they agreed to or results in something like a conflict of interest for Party B, Party B (those 4 VA) might be justified in backing out.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Shame on the organizers of Kameha Con. What an underhanded, disgusting move. If they want Vic there so bad, then I hope every other guest and every panelist backs out. It would serve them right.

If a convention I went to invited that creep, I would swear that event off for good, even if it were a marquee thing like Ota or Acen.

Same here. Bringing Vic in at the last minute so panelists and guests were put in a damning position is cowardly, scummy, and selfish. Seriously, screw them and screw Vic
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Some will some won't it swings and roundabouts. From there website it looks like 5 out of 28 have pulled out (at the moment). I'm sure they'll survive.

Last edited by Escaflowne2001 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Some will some won't it swings and roundabouts. From there website it looks like 3 out of 27 have pulled out (at the moment). I'm sure they'll survive.

And I’m sure Anime Matsuri will survive, too. But neither should.
Junko666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Kameha con changed their mind and invited Vic back to the con. He was originally under contract to do so and Kameha con was founded from DB. It wouldn't be right not to have Broly's VA present at this convention.

Well originally Kameha con pulled Vic out because its been confirmed by Vic's lawyer that Chris Sabat sent text messages to the organiser of Kameha con, threatening not to go if they invited Vic. Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Vic's sexual allegations is now being taken to court and under US law its "innocent until proven guilty". So until Vic is found guilty he has every right to attend this convention in particular. If other VAs want to boycott this event that's down to them Kameha is a big convention and they could have easily ensured Vic never had to meet with the other VAs who have an issue with him.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
I'm glad Kameha con changed their mind and invited Vic back to the con. He was originally under contract to do so and Kameha con was founded from DB. It wouldn't be right not to have Broly's VA present at this convention.

Well originally Kameha con pulled Vic out because its been confirmed by Vic's lawyer that Chris Sabat sent text messages to the organiser of Kameha con, threatening not to go if they invited Vic. Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Vic's sexual allegations is now being taken to court and under US law its "innocent until proven guilty". So until Vic is found guilty he has every right to attend this convention in particular. If other VAs want to boycott this event that's down to them Kameha is a big convention and they could have easily ensured Vic never had to meet with the other VAs who have an issue with him.

It’s absolutely right not to have Vic Mignogna at a convention. It doesn’t matter who he voiced. Some things are more important. And this stuff about “innocent until proven guilty,” in many cases there will never be a trial because the things being alleged are outside the statutes of limitations. Michael Jackson will never stand trial, that doesn’t mean reasonable people shouldn’t conclude he was a sick puppy.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Maybe the poster above is right and maybe there was a contract involved, but I’d argue there’s even greater liability for an event that *does* let him attend. They should’ve stuck to their guns and sided with their attendees.

Judging by the amounts of likes/retweets, their attendees are all for Vic being at the con. 19K isnt anything to sneeze at. I'm definitely looking forward to going.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Boy,this is getting more entertaining than I expected.
Also,pretty funny attitude from someone who was friendly and taking pictures with him just one month before this whole thing exploded
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Judging by the amounts of likes/retweets, their attendees are all for Vic being at the con. 19K isnt anything to sneeze at. I'm definitely looking forward to going.

Is that what it is or is it something else? By the looks, Vic's followers are all for Vic, the one not connected to him or by him directly is decidedly less popular.

And we've known "Vic's followers are for Vic, no matter what" is the case already.
And just what is the Con going to do with him, put him in a seperate room, just have one meet and greet just with him alone? There is no good outcome here, Vic saw to that himself.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
probably his last con appearances for awhile, assuming Funi truly did sever ties and would never ever cast him in anything.

Then again in other tv shows, and other media, people who were in his situation were seemingly in timeout for a bit before they were invited back and resumed their shows just as if nothing happened.
Tandy299

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
As usual, recently, ANN offers a 1 sided view of the issue. There have been numerous con attendees come forward to say that the negative publicity surrounding their pics with Vic was false, and that he did NOTHING WRONG.
Post all the truth ANN, or you will continue to lose revenue. Knowing how ANN works recently, this will probably get blocked, but here's goes anyway
God bless everyone, regardless.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I had to look this up and I saw mocking regarding Rial stating concern for her safety but you know, I'll hate to see the kind of nasty things any of the vocal anti-Vic people will suffer from con attendees at this one or any of the others. I'm sure with Vic back, it'd be even worse as they adapt a "We won" attitude.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

Naturally, Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, et. al. are breaching their contracts with Kameha Con and this is going to make everything significantly uglier.

Is there some publicly available resource for these contracts? Because I've never heard of a convention makings guests sign contracts that legally require them to attend and won't allow them to cancel. I've seen guests cancel con appearances for any number of reasons - medical emergency, schedule conflict, travel issues, just not wanting to go to the state the con is in because they hate Idaho - and to my knowledge none of them have been sued. They just didn't get paid.

Unless there's some official word from Kamehacon or the VAs involved, or like I said a their contracts were somehow made public, I think whoever told you this stuff about contracts is blowing smoke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10