• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Morose Mononokean II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe there's only one episode left! It seems like there's too much to be covered, though I'm sure they'll pull it off somehow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Charlotte's Web reference in episode 12. Anime smallmouth
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we learn later that the "Sakae" that Hanae saw as a child was really Aoi in disguise.

Are we entirely sure of that, or was that just the explanation Abeno came up with for how Hanae could have met his father when he was three, if he'd died right after he was born? It's certainly plausible, but doesn't explain the flashback where little Hanae seemed to be trying to stop his father from killing a youkai. What was that all about? I'm also a little skeptical that Aoi could so easily fool Hanae's sister and Sakae's wife, as they both knew him better.

I never expected to get a second season of this and was fine with that, but now that we have, there damned well better be a third! Anything less would just be cruel and unfair.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
WTF?!
I was not expecting this show to have a tense "action" scene (the main setpiece involved the main characters pressing their superpowered hands together while standing very still, but the tense tone was definitely "action"), and expecting even less a bombshell that Sakae turned into his son Hanae. At least, that's how I interpreted Abeno's statement, and now I'm *very* confused. Didn't he just possess Hanae temporarily because Hanae disrupted his seal? Or has he always been hiding in Hanae psyche? It's not a reincarnation thing, is it? Or, perhaps, a transformation thing? That would make things way awkward with Hanae's mom! And how did those two end up having two kids together, anyway? Before this episode, I felt really bad for Hanae's mom for being abandoned by a guy and left hanging, not even finding out that he died so she could move on. But if she's attracted to such bad boys, maybe it's better that she kept off the dating scene! I mean, it's hard to imagine a sweet florist falling for a guy who'd torture and kill "lesser beings" to try out his own strength, but here we are. I. Have. So. Many Questions!!!

And I shouldn't have expected it, but why couldn't Abeno tell Hanae what really happened? Keeping such secrets never ends well, Istsuki!

And they ended the season (perhaps the series!) like that?! That's a cruel ploy to get viewers to read the manga! Luckily, Crunchyroll publishes it in English...

Please tell us what chapter this episode corresponds to in the manga! Thanks!
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Please tell us what chapter this episode corresponds to in the manga! Thanks!

The last two episodes start out in chapter 54, I believe. I would highly recommend reading them if you plan to continue with the manga as the changes made in this last episode are pretty huge.

Personally I was really disappointed to see this arc handled the way it was. It was the most impactful one so far in the manga for me, and the anime didn't capture the feel or ideas behind it at all. Which is a shame as I really enjoyed the rest of the season! Normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me too much, and I do understand why they wouldn't want to end the season how the manga would have done it, but if there is a third season, the changes are gonna cause some problems...

Well, overall I enjoyed season 2 a lot. I'm just sad it ended on a bit of a sour note for me. Probably would have enjoyed it more had I seen the end first and then read the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2