• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kameha Con Responds to Recent Guest Cancellations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n1nn1nn1n

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
Here we go again. Everyone is going to get heated up in the comments. I am just going stay neutral of the whole situation until this is taken to court and get the truth from the judge verdict.

That's not being neutral. It's shoving your head straight down into the sand to ignore the fact an professional investigation was made by TWO companies that employed him, several professional and fan testimonies (which, by law, counts as evidence), and the fact his bad behavior was an open secret for decades.

Being neutral means acknowledging fact, not denial of fact to try and pretend there's two sides when it's a blantantly one-sided affair.

EDIT: Also, the fact that Kamaha Con feels the need to say authorities will be around and that they supposedly have a zero tolerance policy doesn't say great things either, if they feels they HAVE to prepared for the possibility of him being a creepy.

Last edited by n1nn1nn1n on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
I predict marketing death for the con if it sues the guests who withdrew.

I doubt that. People have been attacking Anime Matsuri for years and saying it has a horrible reputation, yet it's still the 2nd biggest anime convention in the US. Twitter reputation doesn't count for as much as people like to think it does. Most con goers don't pay attention to online drama.

Omegaplub wrote:
They're sacrificing the main cast of the series just for the guy who voiced Broly? As far as I know it was supposed to be a convention to celebrate Dragon Ball and not meet up for fans who love Vic just because he played Edward Elric.

No, they're sacrificing a few actors who voice increidbly small roles for Vic Mignogna. Who do you think is going to attract more guests. The guy who voices Grand Priest, the guy who voices Monaka, or Vic Mignogna? No offense to the other voice actors, but they're hardly big names or have big roles.

Last edited by El Hermano on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial gave her story in a very public way, and the fallout was Vic lost his job. Now the convention organizers want to not just have Monica Rial on their guest roster, but they want to bring in the man she publicly said abused her? They want to bring in a guest known to have a legion of obnoxious and possibly dangerous fans who could/would, and probably will try to troll Monica's panel.

How tone deaf, stupid, ignorant, dumb, callous, insensitive, and any other words I might have left out, are these people? It's not tacky, it's disgusting, I don't know what other adjective I can use to describe it.

unready wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
"We became aware of multiple reports of sexual harassment by Mr. Mignogna, including against minors, and decided we had to place the safety of our guests first and foremost" is a mighty strong argument.

It would also be a strong argument in favor of Mignogna, since he hasn't even been arrested, much less convicted, of any criminal charge.

Not really.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Playing into the 'what if' scenario...if protestors or supporters for either side decide to attend the con, this could get messy, and I understand why they felt the need to emphasize their security protocols. Hopefully they can keep everyone safe, but if this doesn't turn into a huge dumpster fire, I'll honestly be surprised.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Omegaplib wrote:
They're sacrificing the main cast of the series just for the guy who voiced Broly? As far as I know it was supposed to be a convention to celebrate Dragon Ball and not meet up for fans who love Vic just because he played Edward Elric.

Broly is a character he's been playing for about 15 years in an almost yearly basis thanks to the games and one of the most popular characters despite being non-canon and the original creator being barely involved in his creation. For better or for worse,bringing the guy who voices such character(the reaction when fans hear Broly Super with a different voice in FighterZ will be a sight to behold. I would hate to wear the #KickVic badge when that happens...) is important,even if he is no longer voicing him.
That reminds me, they are even bringing Tiffany Volmer and Stephanie Nadolny. I know Tiffany was replaced because she quit acting and moved,but I recall hearing Stephanie wanted to return for Kai but Funi didn't even bother to call her. Has it ever been explained why she no longer voices Gohan and Goku?
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

Has it ever been explained why she no longer voices Gohan and Goku?

I looked into this once. Only thing I could really find was some posts on other sites that said it was at least partly due to her getting a lot of DUI's and Funimation not wanting to deal with the drama it was causing.
It's supposedly also why she no longer voices K.O. on OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes
Phraze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Interesting! So this means, theoretically, negotiation for Mignogna's reappearance involved talk of an impending lawsuit. Lawsuits are likely going to conventions, not the "defamers". Salvaging his career, of course.

But still, looks more like an agreement to me. Contracts are more obligatory for law enforcement (like criminal activity), whereas agreements require lawsuits for the law to bother.

Last edited by Phraze on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Omegaplub wrote:

No, they're sacrificing a few actors who voice increidbly small roles for Vic Mignogna. Who do you think is going to attract more guests. The guy who voices Grand Priest, the guy who voices Monaka, or Vic Mignogna? No offense to the other voice actors, but they're hardly big names or have big roles.
Ha... Haha... Damn, I don't even follow Dragon Ball and even I know Bulma isn't exactly an "incredibly small role"...
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I doubt that. People have been attacking Anime Matsuri for years and saying it has a horrible reputation, yet it's still the 2nd biggest anime convention in the US. Twitter reputation doesn't count for as much as people like to think it does. Most con goers don't pay attention to online drama.

No, con goers pay attention to the guest list. Who do you think is going to accept an invitation to a con that has a rep for suing guests -- especially when almost everyone the con wants as guests work with each other.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Ya'll can point fingers at him all you want but Vic is innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. Just saiyan.
n1nn1nn1n

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Ya'll can point fingers at him all you want but Vic is innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. Just saiyan.

If you get fired from your job for misconduct but haven't been tried in court, you've still performed a misconduct and get punished. You don't go "Hey you can't punish me or say I'm guilty of this thing unless you take it to court!".
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Omegaplib wrote:

Having attended US conventions in the past where Vic was invited with several other US dub actors from the same show, the line that Vic alone will have in front of him is always much, much longer than the line that the rest of the guests will have in front of them when they sign in a combined session.

It's not so much as "sacrificing the main cast for the guy that voiced Broly" as it is sacrificing those that bring in less cash for the one cash cow that does. And, as indicated by the contract specifics, it's avoiding a possible lawsuit. Until Vic is tried and convicted in a court of law, he's still considered innocent in the eyes of our justice system.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:

We aren't in a court of law.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
n1nn1nn1n wrote:
several professional and fan testimonies (which, by law, counts as evidence), and the fact his bad behavior was an open secret for decades.

That is actually incorrect. What makes a statement a testimony is the sworn oath in court that you are telling the truth. Statements by themselves which are not under oath have no weight. It's the consequences of lying which gives a statement the right to become admissible as evidence, as committing perjury is a felony and results in prison time.

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Ha... Haha... Damn, I don't even follow Dragon Ball and even I know Bulma isn't exactly an "incredibly small role"...

Tiffany Vollmer who originally voiced Bulma all throughout Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball Z Kai is still attending KamehaCon. Monica Rial replaced Vollmer for Final Chapters and for Super after Vollmer retired. So while Rial is the current voice of Bulma, she's not the actress who most fans probably grew up with.

I would say the only notable voice who dropped was Jason Douglas, who voices Beeru. What I found interesting is all the voice actors who dropped were Super voice actors. So far, none of the original Dragonball, Dragonball Z, or Dragonball GT actors have dropped.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
n1nn1nn1n wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

If you get fired from your job for misconduct but haven't been tried in court, you've still performed a misconduct and get punished. You don't go "Hey you can't punish me or say I'm guilty of this thing unless you take it to court!".

Under United States law, an individual is "innocent until proven guilty". If the situation is that important to Monica, then she should have no problem in court proving that what he did actually happened to her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8