• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ancient Magus' Bride Part 1 BD/DVD LE

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series (the highs in part 2 even more so), and especially liked the limited edition set it was given. I'm all for more companies doing a Part 1 box set with room to add part 2 later (instead of two giant boxes). I'm really glad the OVAs are included as well, even if there is no dub. I assume it couldn't be helped. It could be due to anything from license restrictions, release schedule, or the CR/Funi split (CR not wanting to delay it/produce more dubbed material from Funi).

Speaking of the dub, I really enjoyed it upon my re-watch of the show. I think the actress who played Chise was fairly new to major leading roles like this, and I thought she did a great job sounding a bit disassociated and depressed without sounding too flat, which I can imagine is a challenge. Also, just given the setting/names, I think English just fits it better anyway.

Also, considering Jamie Marchi was (one of) the ADR scriptwriters for the dub, I don't think its that odd at all that she would forget the name of her minor character that doesn't appear until part 2 anyway. There's a lot of names to keep track of.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed The Ancient Magus' Bride and seeing Chise's growth in the story and how she learns to cope with her tragic past and the circumstances she finds herself in and learning more about Elias and his world as the story progresses. It's the world of Magus' Bride that really draws me into the story and how much detail is put into it's mythos. I appreciated the show was not a supernatural action story which I think would not be appropriate for the subject material of the series but felt more like a slice of life in a fantasy setting. The animation and art style was always beautiful though I somewhat prefer the manga art over the anime at times. I only ever watched the series subbed the first time through so I need to revisit the series with the English dub sometime. With the announcement of the new OVA, hopefully season two won't be too far away and I also hope we can get a stream of the second OVA.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Dropped this after 1 cour. Some episodes were better than others but overall given the hype around this was expecting so much more.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I really enjoyed this series (the highs in part 2 even more so), and especially liked the limited edition set it was given. I'm all for more companies doing a Part 1 box set with room to add part 2 later (instead of two giant boxes). I'm really glad the OVAs are included as well, even if there is no dub. I assume it couldn't be helped. It could be due to anything from license restrictions, release schedule, or the CR/Funi split (CR not wanting to delay it/produce more dubbed material from Funi).

Speaking of the dub, I really enjoyed it upon my re-watch of the show. I think the actress who played Chise was fairly new to major leading roles like this, and I thought she did a great job sounding a bit disassociated and depressed without sounding too flat, which I can imagine is a challenge. Also, just given the setting/names, I think English just fits it better anyway.

Also, considering Jamie Marchi was (one of) the ADR scriptwriters for the dub, I don't think its that odd at all that she would forget the name of her minor character that doesn't appear until part 2 anyway. There's a lot of names to keep track of.

It has happened before where a release schedule didn't allow time for a dub. The OVA for Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was acquired not long before the home video release, whereas the dubbed OVA for Interviews with Monster Girls was acquired right away. I do have to think the split up probably limited how much CR wanted to delay or spend on a dub. Considering this series left Funimation's site, this is one that was controlled by CR.

You are right that Dani Chambers is new. I think the commentary mentioned that she maybe did one bit part before this, and Kyle Philips likes to cast new/seldom used actors in bigger roles. I think the commentary even discusses that they had to figure out how to have Chise sound emotionally stunted, but not entirely flat at the same time.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
What wasn't mentioned about those OVA episodes is how mesmerizing and beautifully animated they are mimicking the feels I get when I read the manga, an aching melancholy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Greed1914"]
KitKat1721 wrote:
Considering this series left Funimation's site, this is one that was controlled by CR.

I was confused because I remembered the English dub used to be on FunimationNow but it wasn't there anymore and I recall Crunchyroll was going to add it at some point but they still don't have it up on their site either. So it looks like there's no place to stream the English dub at. And while Funimation never made an English dub of the OVAs, I did notice that Crunchyroll had a few international dubs of them streaming.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
So the OVA's are not dubbed? What a joke. It is unacceptable to not have all the content dubbed. I kind of get not dubbing Kobayashi's OVA for timing reasons, but CR had the AMB OVA's licensed long before the tv season aired.

With this, long delays in Konosuba's assumed home video release, Re:Zero botched discs and no current plans to release A Place Further than the Universe and Laid-Back Camp (and a bunch of other shows) on disc, Crunchyroll is showing that disc releases for the anime they license are not a big priority.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Can't comment on a dub, don't watch them.

IMO the first half of this series is the strongest. The 2nd half loses abit of the spark that made the first half so good. Overall this series is worth picking up, I know some people that picked up just this first part, because they really didn't care for the latter half.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I think I actually liked the OVAs more than the actual show.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Why bring it up, then? Neutral Did you just want to say that, or...?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
This show was really beautiful and what not, but it is also flawed. For one, the episodes quickly become formulaic (Elias takes Chise somewhere, they meet some fantastical person or creature, the person/creature seemingly tries to kill Chise, but it turns out they were good all along and were just testing Chise's skills, Chise solves a small problem, and everyone bids each other goodbye), and that really drags the show down prior to the final episodes. Also, beyond the obvious creep factor behind the main romance, it's almost unnecessary. The show could have been the relationship between a master and a student instead of the romance of a centuries-old deer-skulled creature and his suicidal teenage slave human girl, and literally nothing about the series would change.

angelmcazares wrote:
So the OVA's are not dubbed? What a joke. It is unacceptable to not have all the content dubbed.

They've already announced that the OVAs will be getting dubbed. They just aren't dubbed at the moment since the dub was a simuldub, and Funimation licensed the show well after the OVAs got onto Crunchyroll.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
I've been watching this show off and on for about a year. The first 4-6 episodes really grabbed me a lot and then I just fell off of it for some reason. I think the more actual combat and fights come in to play, the less I'm grabbed by it (although I do like other flowery romance and action shows like Otome Yōkai Zakuro).

Anyways, one thing about the show always made me curious as to how the internet was reacting to it: the basic concept is an underage girl is has a troubled past so she sells herself as a slave to a magician. The magician buys her for intention of making her his wife, moves her into his house, and then starts training her to be an ideal mate. Romance is immediately in the air.

I'm only like 8 episodes deep, but up to this point it's not like Koi Kaze where there's a questionable relationship and a major part of the show plays into pretty much everyone being like "This isn't right...". Most of the characters here are like "cool beans" and it's presented as like a-ok, fine and dandy.

Raebo101 wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Why bring it up, then? Neutral Did you just want to say that, or...?

If you read the post, the person made a series of comments on various aspects of the show. Almost a mini opinion piece. They brought up that there mini piece wouldn't include comments on the dub.

Why you took this to heart so much...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
The biggest example of the latter is the fact that a “sleigh beggy” does not appear to be an actual thing in mythology; it isn't in any of my folklore texts or online outside of the context of the series, at any rate.

Actually, back when the OVAs were the only thing yet available, I did find online reference to "sleigh beggy" as a type of fairy peculiar to the Isle of Man. It's quite an obscure reference, and IIRC the way the series uses it bears little to no resemblance to its original form, but the name, at least, isn't made up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Actually, back when the OVAs were the only thing yet available, I did find online reference to "sleigh beggy" as a type of fairy peculiar to the Isle of Man. It's quite an obscure reference, and IIRC the way the series uses it bears little to no resemblance to its original form, but the name, at least, isn't made up.

!!! The one place in Britain I forgot to check! Possibly because I don't have any Isle of Man-specific texts. Thanks, Theron! Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I think I actually liked the OVAs more than the actual show.

The three-episode OVA that Crunchy carries was absolutely gorgeous with a powerful story. I may have liked it more than the series as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1