• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kameha Con Responds to Recent Guest Cancellations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Omegaplib wrote:
They're sacrificing the main cast of the series just for the guy who voiced Broly? As far as I know it was supposed to be a convention to celebrate Dragon Ball and not meet up for fans who love Vic just because he played Edward Elric.

Clearly they have they're own set of priorities. Victims of sexual assault are apparently less important than Vic's fans. Frankly I wouldn't attend any of these panels either. I've never been a fan of Dragon Ball's English dub and frankly, I won't attend a panel featuring a guy who likes to grope and kiss people against their will on camera.
bones2039

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Vic attending this con makes me a little disappointed. I had hoped he was serious about getting help, but honestly him going to this con and the aftermath of the announcement of him attending seems to prove Vic still doesn't fully understand the harm his actions have caused.

I don't blame other VAs for deciding they don't want to deal with him. Maybe the con felt they had to let Vic come for whatever reasons. Ultimately this whole thing makes no one look good.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't envy the Kameha Con staff at this point. They effectively had no choice but to bring Vic back, despite knowing what the fall out would be. As expected, a large number of other prominent guests dropped out. Meanwhile, you have half the angry twits online further poisoning the waters, bragging about how the Dragon Ball con will surely sue and extract bloody revenge against half the cast of Dragon Ball. (Which is of course nonsense, they'd have NEVER done that cause it'd just worsen guest relations much farther in the future).

While some people will say 'Oh they should just be adults and all attend'. So what was the option then? Put this group of VA's all in the same room together? And all their FANS in the same room together? No amount of security in teh world makes that end well. How about the unprecedented; Guest segregation? Keeping your guests, and their fans, from bumping into each other like how Disney World keeps you from seeing two Mickey Mouses at the same time? Imagine the security logistics of managing that? 'Adults' wouldn't set foot into that mess to begin with.

Some will say 'Oh but they doubled security, nothing can go wrong!'. They doubled security BECAUSE they fear something could go wrong and no amount of security in the world makes something impossible. We should be unsettled just that a convention has to double it's security in response to the alignment of the guests fans at this point. This is some next level shit.

And ya know what? A lot of these people don't care. They'll argue that they're on some imagined side of 'justice' or what's 'right' but they're just burning EVERYTHING and they want to see it burn just to find out what interesting snaps and pops come from the ashes. We've probably seen the end, or a severe reduction of, open Q&A at industry and talent panels for the next season or maybe longer.

Last edited by Ashley Hakker on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well let's look at it this way, it's not like this is the first time he's been a guest of honor since being accused of sexual assault. He's clearly use to it.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of wondering where Funimation's stance is on this. The reason I say this is that this is a Dragon Ball themed con, to which they have the NA distribution rights to (and by defacto most of the English world) which means Kameha Con probably would have had to do a deal with them to promote it, am I correct? They may be locked in this year, but it does make me wonder if they may pull support from future Kameha Cons because of it.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
If Chris Sabat were to drop out a lot of people would want their money back for sure.

Sabat's in a hard position. He sold premium VIP passes for a nice chunk of money that include a private tour of his own studio. If he cancels he'll either have to give back all that money or find some way to still let them come to his studio, which may or may not even be legally possible since he sold the tickets through KamehaCon and replicating that could be see as breaking his anti-competition contract. I guess it'll come down to if he cares enough about Monica Rial or the nice chunk of money he stands to make by going.

Last year the biggest draw was Ryo Horikawa, so as long as he's there I'm sure not many people would cancel. Schemmel has yet to be announced, and frankly I wonder if he's even invited after the drama last year, but if he does come I'm sure he, Horikawa, and Vic would more than make up for one major voice actor dropping.

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
I'm kind of wondering where Funimation's stance is on this. The reason I say this is that this is a Dragon Ball themed con, to which they have the NA distribution rights to (and by defacto most of the English world) which means Kameha Con probably would have had to do a deal with them to promote it, am I correct? They may be locked in this year, but it does make me wonder if they may pull support from future Kameha Cons because of it.

The owner previously mentioned he might not do it again next year because of all this drama. But that was before he invited Vic back and got a lot of positive feedback so maybe he'll changed his mind depending how well the con goes. It would suck if it got canned. It's pretty close to me and an easy enough drive. Besides it would look pretty bad on Funimation's part to kill a Dragonball convention over this. Another factor to consider is Toei. I wonder how Toei feels about all this drama stinking up the Dragonball name in America.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
But that was before he invited Vic back and got a lot of positive feedback so maybe he'll changed his mind depending how well the con goes. It would suck if it got canned.

I dunno if the situation would really be called 'Positive Feedback'. From a con-operations perspective, things got FAR more complicated this week. Guest relations are now a mess.
It's bad that the con itself had to formally announce that it had made amicable separations with it's exiting guests because far to many people were screaming about how the con would surely punish those voice actors. Increased security costs. A mad dash for replacement guests to fill in content holes. Reworking the schedule that was probably nearly complete. You see 'Positive Feedback' and I see the makings of an ulcer.
beefcheeks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
[[

Last edited by beefcheeks on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
supersqueak wrote:
If Chris Sabat were to drop out a lot of people would want their money back for sure.

Sabat's in a hard position. He sold premium VIP passes for a nice chunk of money that include a private tour of his own studio. If he cancels he'll either have to give back all that money or find some way to still let them come to his studio, which may or may not even be legally possible since he sold the tickets through KamehaCon and replicating that could be see as breaking his anti-competition contract. I guess it'll come down to if he cares enough about Monica Rial or the nice chunk of money he stands to make by going.

Last year the biggest draw was Ryo Horikawa, so as long as he's there I'm sure not many people would cancel. Schemmel has yet to be announced, and frankly I wonder if he's even invited after the drama last year, but if he does come I'm sure he, Horikawa, and Vic would more than make up for one major voice actor dropping.

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

The owner previously mentioned he might not do it again next year because of all this drama. But that was before he invited Vic back and got a lot of positive feedback so maybe he'll changed his mind depending how well the con goes. It would suck if it got canned. It's pretty close to me and an easy enough drive. Besides it would look pretty bad on Funimation's part to kill a Dragonball convention over this. Another factor to consider is Toei. I wonder how Toei feels about all this drama stinking up the Dragonball name in America.

Yeah I think the tours and other obligations are probably the main thing that is tying him down to it. I mean I guess regardless I definitely don't see the point in punishing the fans who sacrificed a lot of time and money to be there and specifically to see him. I noticed though they made their Brian Drummond banner advertising his appearance way huger than it was before. I dunno if that was meant to be some kind of FU to Chris or not.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
beefcheeks wrote:
You can GoFundMe your legal fees from here until forever, but you can't sue people to have you at your con if they never invite you in the first place.

Yeah. What a lot of people don't see is that that this current cluster fudge is a security and logistical NIGHTMARE. It makes everything more complicated. While a minority of cons will dive in like Hawaii-con has, the majority of cons right now are surely thinking 'How do we just not touch this mess at all?'. Most cons just wanna run the con, they don't want to engage in some ideological nerd war that doesn't net them any gains and this makes those cons conflict adverse.
beefcheeks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
[[

Last edited by beefcheeks on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:55 am Reply with quote
LegitSnivy wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

Under United States law, an individual is "innocent until proven guilty". If the situation is that important to Monica, then she should have no problem in court proving that what he did actually happened to her.

Except that's not even how that works.
If enough people are testifying against you, and have had enough companies do an internal investigation on you to where they deemed you unfit to be employed under them, then they have some ground to stand on that you're not fit to be in the working environment as everyone else.
Especially considering the greater reality is most victims aren't able to come out immediately as something happens, whether that be defending their attacker to protect themselves, or even going through some traumatic turmoil internally. This isn't something you can easily prove, but doubting the hundreds of victims that testify him (Yes, I'm aware some have been false.), is still a lot to hold onto.
Especially considering this has dated back since mid 2000's.

You tell him that's not how that works, and then go on to describe how it works in the workplace. But he was talking about the law. Not denying that he could fired without absolute proof of his wrongdoing. In a court of law, "innocent till proven guilty" is exactly how it works.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
You tell him that's not how that works, and then go on to describe how it works in the workplace. But he was talking about the law. Not denying that he could fired without absolute proof of his wrongdoing. In a court of law, "innocent till proven guilty" is exactly how it works.

I don't see the point in discussing his innocence or guilt strictly within the context of the law until a criminal trial actually happens.
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm curious what the proponents of these lawsuits thing Vic is going to accomplish. Even in the weird alternate dimension where he does walk away with some cash it still won't help him. He can't make people cast him in roles. And being someone with a history of suing your employer is a great way to make sure that no company wants to deal with you.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
Alright folks let's get off the lawsuit bandwagon please. We've made it clear at this point since there are no actual lawsuits filed that discussion is offtopic and just theories. So let's keep it on topic, and if/when any actual lawsuits appear then people can discuss that topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8