• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ENDRO!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be an odd sort of auto-correct with the seiyuu's name that resulted in M.A.O being used throughout the article.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Anybody else not seeing a voting tool for episode 11?
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wish I knew how seriously the production team expects us, the audience, to take Endro! I am really a fan of multi-layered shows, the kind where you find new details every time you watch.

Endro! has some of that going on. For example, Mei calling out Mao-sensei on doing magic without Cartado was foreshadowed in Episode 8, when Mei noticed that Mao-sensei used a tranformation Cartado to take her Maou form (and neatly sidestepping the crucial reveal). (Mei missed that Maou used the bobble spell (which also shows up in Ep. 11) and summons her staff (which is the same as Ep. 1) also without visible Cartado, but at the time she thought she was facing the real Maou.) I also appreciate the call-back of the Jashin from Ep. 4, along with the mackerel-men (and a sly homage to Slayers) and Seira's quick amnesia trope subversion. Number-checking each episode in the eye-catch (count the fingers) is a cute touch, too.

The heroes regaining their memory was the best gag in Ep. 11. Their reaction shot was laugh-out-loud funny, in large part for being entirely untelegraphed. Seira blaming Yusha for flubbing the forbidden spell was another great bit, with call-backs for Mao-sensei's memories in Episode 6 and Yusha's "strangely realistic" dream in Ep. 10 -- except it never happened.

Go back and watch Episode 1: Yusha completes the spell without a flub, Maou is dragged away to extra-dimensional imprisonment in chains (that never show up in any subsequent recollection), and the end credits roll. The scenes of their journey that are shown over the credits in Ep. 1 re-appear in their memories, however.

Since there are clearly only one set of heroes, one Maou, etc., and Mao-sensei initially received memories from past incarnations of the Maou, I suspect that what was carried into this iteration were the memories of the past loop, albeit suppressed up to this point. Mao-sensei, as the focus of the spell and as a more mysterious existence, was physically moved around as well, but not duplicated (despite the overlap in time).

I'm looking forward to finding out why the later versions of the climactic scene are different, what happens with Maid Golem, and what the heck Chibi-chan is and where s/he came from. Here's hoping, then, that the staff is serious and Endro! will wrap all this up with a bow in the finale.
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Farris said:
Quote:
The last-minute world-building details seem to be adding complexity for its own sake or setting up broader concepts as the production hopes for another season.

I know I've been the one to consistently over-analyze this show, but I don't think most of these issues were last-minute additions at all. Certainly, I have wondered aloud about them here:
Quote:
Meigo drop in to info-dump several extra details about a magical destiny conspiracy keeping the Hero/Demon Lord reincarnation cycle going, not to mention the contrivance that Yusha's iteration is the last one in the chain, just feels like too much.

but
Quote:
Now I am curious about Maid Golem. She seems to have been the demons' institutional memory from one Maou/Hero cycle to the next. Even more, there is the whole "999th incarnation" flag: it seems likely that something important was going to happen on the next go-'round.

Quote:
There is some funny acknowledgement of how random the [deus ex machina] moment feels, specifically that none of the party can even remember how Chibi-chan came to be with them, but then the lack of explanation feels like another bit of setup the show is socking away for future adventures.

but
Quote:
I'm looking forward to finding out why the later versions of the climactic scene are different, what happens with Maid Golem, and what the heck Chibi-chan is and where s/he came from.

All in all, I think they did a pretty good job of setting this ending up well in advance -- and then not tipping their hand. In hindsight, Chibi-chan's apparently bottomless stomach was more important than it seemed, but something had to be. The red herrings were also part of the fun: the Princess didn't know about Mao-sensei after all, and it appears that Mao-sensei couldn't remember Maid Golem's name because she didn't have one until Yusha gave her "Meigo."

The only glaring loose end that wasn't wrapped up was the one I pointed out last time: the battle in the first episode doesn't match any of the characters' subsequent recollections. I don't think that's enough to build a second season on, but I have to admit I'd be interested to see this production team give it a try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2