• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Intrusive ads on site!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Meaning no offense, but turning your own site into an ad-infested mess (and nigh-unusable on older mobile hardware...do you have any idea how much memory those ads chew up?) and then asking for money to disable them is not a great look. The modern Internet has evolved into a horrific mess of broken UX thanks to ad explosions, but interstitials that break up forum posts or article paragraphs are right near the top of my most hated.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Meaning no offense, but turning your own site into an ad-infested mess (and nigh-unusable on older mobile hardware...do you have any idea how much memory those ads chew up?) and then asking for money to disable them is not a great look. The modern Internet has evolved into a horrific mess of broken UX thanks to ad explosions, but interstitials that break up forum posts or article paragraphs are right near the top of my most hated.

When he said the point about doing the donation... i was 50/50 on what he said because I had a feeling people would jump on that in a negative way. I really do hope the issue is fixed.. but I also understand that it costs money to keep the site up and pay the Journalist who post for the site. and Ads don't always pay for everything.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I mean I fully understand that the site needs revenue to continue to function and produce content, and the staff should promote subscriptions as a means of doing so. But please, don't do the whole "well we ruined your browsing experience, but you can pay us to un-ruin it!" It doesn't play. I've seen far too many sites I enjoy turned into insufferable messes due to intrusive advertising, and I think the only reason I stick with some of them is out of some sort of Stockholm syndrome. I don't want this site to join that list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2