• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy Tail: Final Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
What I really love about Fairy Tail is that the female cast members are allowed to kick just as much butt as the male characters unlike most shonen series especially when it's a young girl character like Wendy. Never will get old seeing her kick Dimaria in the face lol. I just wish she fought in her Dragon Force form more but for some reason she's always portrayed as really reserved in using it despite it seemingly not draining much energy. Next episode is going to be great seeing certain scenes animated!

Yup, I love this so much!
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
What I really love about Fairy Tail is that the female cast members are allowed to kick just as much butt as the male characters unlike most shonen series especially when it's a young girl character like Wendy. Never will get old seeing her kick Dimaria in the face lol. I just wish she fought in her Dragon Force form more but for some reason she's always portrayed as really reserved in using it despite it seemingly not draining much energy. Next episode is going to be great seeing certain scenes animated!

Yup, I love this so much!

Except until we meet Erza, there really isn't much to the females in FT. Lucy is pretty much turned into a fan service ploy almost right away. She remains next to useless for quite awhile. Wendy is similar, just the cute loli factor, and is just a healing battery that can't really scratch anything until dragon force. Juvia showed some good potential but is quickly turned into a Gray fangirl. Then pretty much languished for ages in jealous yandere mode.

Gildart's daughter spends much of the entire series drunk and then suddenly its like, oh btw, she's actually pretty powerful. Mira is set up as a postergirl that doesn't do much till she finally shows her power.

Then there is the female guild which is pretty comical outside of their one fighter that is strong.

Generally non villain female characters in FT aren't typically shown as powerful right away. They tend to be used as fan service or plot devices that only get powerful later. There are exceptions but it's been more common to see them first in weak mode.

Female villains are another thing. They tend to be shown as super power right from the start.

So yeah, female characters kick more butt in FT than other shounen, but generally unless they are a villain, they don't always start strong. Course it's a lot better than Naruto where all the women become housewives and all the men become salarymen. Besides it taking until Shippuden for there to be any female supporting cast member that could be of any value in a fight. Then finally they started forcing them to become medical ninjas. Giving them an excuse to avoid the battles instead of just always being written out of scenes to guard someone.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Quote:
"Effort"? Laughing None of that was involved in this arc...like at all.

I disagree.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
It;s nostalgia that keeps me watching this, but damn, the animation is almost non existent. For the battles it's just stills and their not even well drawn! On a more positive notespoiler[giant Happy and Brandish's reaction was kind of amusing] I hope Revy doesn't become the writer's "we mean business" character and get killed off she was always one of my favorites. And Mirajean! what the hell! We never see her and she's supposed to be one of the strongest X-Men there (sorry they just never really seemed like magicians and sorcerers to me). This show is full of giant boobed, white haired women, have them form a brigade or platoon or something and give 'em more screen time.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Sandy wrote:
It;s nostalgia that keeps me watching this, but damn, the animation is almost non existent. For the battles it's just stills and their not even well drawn! On a more positive notespoiler[giant Happy and Brandish's reaction was kind of amusing] I hope Revy doesn't become the writer's "we mean business" character and get killed off she was always one of my favorites. And Mirajean! what the hell! We never see her and she's supposed to be one of the strongest X-Men there (sorry they just never really seemed like magicians and sorcerers to me). This show is full of giant boobed, white haired women, have them form a brigade or platoon or something and give 'em more screen time.

And this episode has the best animation the show has had since the season started.
ShadowAssailantX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
At this point you have to wonder how the 2nd series got such production boost in retrospect. It looked leagues better than the 1st series, and stayed that way for most of its run. The 3rd series on the other hand is like watching a bunch of stills. The writing this arc is pretty terrible, even for Fairy Tail, but it could have been saved by having some bombastic high production fights. Unfortunately, from the first episode of "Final Season" we've gotten every animation corner cutting technique in the book. At least the characters have stayed consistently on model, which wasn't always true of the 1st series. But for a story that is essentially just a long string of fights, this kind of low budget production makes it that much more painful to sit through.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I think today's review sold us a spoiler. spoiler[We ain't supposed to know exactly what Universe One does to the people caught in it until next week.]

Also, it was around this point in the manga that Mashima did a clever little countdown with the chapter titles that can also be found in the episodes:

• Jellal's seven stars
  • Fairy Tail's six monsters
  • Sabertooth's first meal in five days
  • The war's fourth guest
  • Bloodman's third seal
  • Gajeel and Levy together make two
  • Universe One
  • Next week: Fairy Tail Zero

It's just a shame the anime couldn't achieve the same effect with its titles, seeing how this week's episode already took the chapter labeled "one". The studios were clearly rushing to get to this point so the second half could handle what is unfortunately the weaker part of the arc in the manga, and some of the most cobbled-together material Mashima has ever given. He's made it quite clear how burnt out he was on the manga by the end, so I'm praying with all my heart that the slower pacing and looser vicegrip on the budget to come will allow for more TLC with this ending, at least enough so that people will want an adaptation of the sequel.

And for those who want impressions on the sequel, spoiler[I am convinced it is the official apology to fans who wanted more END-esque action mixed with a good Acnologia-tier fight.]
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's odd that these reviews are calling Irene the strongest of the 12, what with the review building up a match-up between her and Fairy Tail's single strongest member, when a.) Irene was introduced as August's female counterpart and equal in strength, and b.) all the signs are pointing to her being Erza's opponent. Not just with what eagle-eyed viewers can tell from Erza's enemy in the latest OP sequence, or the unsubtle hints at a relationship between them, but also how they're both the strongest woman of their respective sides.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
It's odd that these reviews are calling Irene the strongest of the 12, what with the review building up a match-up between her and Fairy Tail's single strongest member, when a.) Irene was introduced as August's female counterpart and equal in strength, and b.) all the signs are pointing to her being Erza's opponent. Not just with what eagle-eyed viewers can tell from Erza's enemy in the latest OP sequence, or the unsubtle hints at a relationship between them, but also how they're both the strongest woman of their respective sides.

That's just a testament to Irene's inconsistent as hell character writing.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for Juvia being so devoted to someone who's as stiff and cold as the ice he makes. She was always one of my favorite characters even if power wise she's been reduced to next to nothing in typical shounen fashion. What does she do now,make pleasant showers for the FT gardens?
Mirajean's dissolved clothes (thanks to an enemy) gave her a real advantage against prudish magic mafia guy. Maybe she'll actually win in spite being a shadow of her former self. So Irene is related to Erza, her mom maybe? Nah, don't say, save the(potential) surprise for later.
Hope this wasn't too spoiler-y.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
Alex_Sandy wrote:
I feel sorry for Juvia being so devoted to someone who's as stiff and cold as the ice he makes. She was always one of my favorite characters even if power wise she's been reduced to next to nothing in typical shounen fashion. What does she do now,make pleasant showers for the FT gardens?

I agree - I've never been able to get behind that couple because it just seems so detrimental to Juvia. It's like she gave up everything to just devote herself to being who she thinks Gray might want. It's not only unhealthy and depressing, but it's a waste of a character, especially since Fairy Tail is generally a bit better to its female cast than some other similar shounen series.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Quote:

I disagree.

You can disagree. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. spoiler[The fakeout deaths, the intrusive backstories, the piss poor final fight (or rather fights in general), lack of meaningful motivations, characters flat out forgetting what kind of magic they have, blatant retcons,forced ship moments...need I go on? ]
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
BringBackUzume wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Quote:

I disagree.

You can disagree. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. spoiler[The fakeout deaths, the intrusive backstories, the piss poor final fight (or rather fights in general), lack of meaningful motivations, characters flat out forgetting what kind of magic they have, blatant retcons,forced ship moments...need I go on? ]

There's no doubt in my mind that it's because the author was getting exhausted with this series by the end. By his repeated admission, he never once laid out any groundwork for the long-term plot. As a result, it stretched out far beyond any expectations he had for it, and ultimately imploded on itself. Even before he officially wrapped the series, he was making rumblings of moving on to a new series. Hell, he said in the afterword of "100 Years Quest" that he was practically pressured into being the storyboarder when he was content to leave it entirely in Atsuo Ueda's hands while he worked on Edens Zero (which is better than anything he's written in the past five years or so, or at least better than its fan translations that cram the word "friend" down our throats have lead many to believe).

In terms of the fake-out deaths, that was apparently due to the fan reaction to their apparent demises. If that's the case, and he really did have every intention to kill them off, he probably didn't have the energy to resist or deviate from any of the stories he laid out. And don't get me wrong, I've been beyond frustrated by how Mashima was, as I like to call, "committedly uncommitted" to killing off beloved characters in this series, and I couldn't possibly respect him any less as a writer for it. But taking my head out of my own butt, I wouldn't ever want to be in that situation myself.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Such a terrible wait to write Juvia's sacrifice. Agreed. It's like a magician revealing the trick right as they are performing it.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Such a terrible wait to write Juvia's sacrifice. Agreed. It's like a magician revealing the trick right as they are performing it.

Definitely a problem in the manga that the anime made worse. Give the manga some credit, at least readers had a week to wait for the outcome (spoiler[and pressure Mashima into making sure she didn't die, because hey, it worked with Gajeel, and Mashima hadn't picked his balls back up from Rave Master yet]).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6