• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemurikusa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
^Well here we are at the end, feels like we're the only two fans the series has here at ANN other than the reviewer but I see Gina and Syoshi have been here occasionally. If only the whole show were more like these last two episodes it would have been epic. If there were some concept backing up the "dead" sisters and Kemurikusa TATSUKI should have gotten to that and wouldn't have had to plod along going over the travelling band of sisters and their slice of life antics. As it is, I'm afraid I'm not as hopeful as the reviewer and believe people will see this a gigantic flop. If he gets another chance, he'd better be very careful not to have another like this. I for one would like to see more of Kaifuku. As a parting point, I think the CG wasn't bad at all and the small oddities didn't "take me out" of the show for a second. Anime has seen much worse...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic end to a fantastic show.

And because it ended on a good note, even if there isn't a sequel, it is all still good.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^Well here we are at the end, feels like we're the only two fans the series has here at ANN other than the reviewer but I see Gina and Syoshi have been here occasionally. If only the whole show were more like these last two episodes it would have been epic. If there were some concept backing up the "dead" sisters and Kemurikusa TATSUKI should have gotten to that and wouldn't have had to plod along going over the travelling band of sisters and their slice of life antics. As it is, I'm afraid I'm not as hopeful as the reviewer and believe people will see this a gigantic flop. If he gets another chance, he'd better be very careful not to have another like this. I for one would like to see more of Kaifuku. As a parting point, I think the CG wasn't bad at all and the small oddities didn't "take me out" of the show for a second. Anime has seen much worse...

His next one may be more eventful, but "like this"? What you mean? I expect that his next one will be exactly like this! And I'm not alone.
Also not sure about this being a "flop", and I'm talking about sales. There's some expectation of a healthy sales number next week.

Theory Time.
I believe that everyone understood how it was possible for the Dead Sister to manifest physically during the last fight. It was possibly with Rina's duplication leaf.
Look's like the Memory Leaf didn't turned into dust immediately after the fight, and their consciences are still alive there, and not needing to pretend to be dead. There's a change that now with all the water they'll ever need and with all the knowledge acquired about how to use the kemurikusa that Wakaba will find a way to give them their bodies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
My only complaint is in this last episode and is the Red Tree design during the final battle. Maybe there's some meaning in this design (it's a thorax right?) but it doesn't matter. It's ugly, kinda goofy, and not what had already been shown to us. Why the change?

Because lungs, which are damaged by and work to expel and heal from smoke, are inside the ribcage. Smile

I liked the previous look from the distance better too, but I see why they went for the upper body part. The rest of the tree looks like a circulatory system, and the heart is also in the ribcage.

I think my favorite part of the ending was Wakaba being saved by the fragment of Midori he'd kept, since I'd kind of obsessed over the vines still being tied around him. I'm a sucker for finding out there were reasons for seemingly weird details up until the reveal. Smile

Whatever these folks want to do next, I'll be there for it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
.. but "like this"? What you mean? I expect that his next one will be exactly like this! And I'm not alone.
Also not sure about this being a "flop", and I'm talking about sales. There's some expectation of a healthy sales number next week...
Expectations are one thing, if sales figures become available then we can talk. Rather I take my cues from the number of comments on the weekly reviews here on good 'ole ANN. Typically shows with what I'd call an average level of popularity garner in the 150-300 comments in a 12 ep period, shows that are either popular or otherwise grab a lot of attention get 300-400 and solid hits or the heatedly controversial get >400. Kemono Friends didn't get weeklies but just the one review got 82 mostly positive comments.This show has 49 and of that you contributed almost 30% so without you or me there would be 27. Heck, the solid last place (best/worst chart) W'z this season got 41 comments from a mix of people.

If you look at the people commenting, for the first few episodes there were a mix of different commentators but they stopped so that tells me that there was initial interest which died. That is why I call "flop". If this mirrors the general viewing population's consensus I sincerely hope their next show isn't anything like Kemurikusa. That isn't to say I dislike the show and I held out hope it would get better but I can see why a number of people seem to have dropped it. I also will look forward to what they do next because the last two episodes and the Keifuku shorts were really good.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Expectations are one thing, if sales figures become available then we can talk. Rather I take my cues from the number of comments on the weekly reviews here on good 'ole ANN. Typically shows with what I'd call an average level of popularity garner in the 150-300 comments in a 12 ep period, shows that are either popular or otherwise grab a lot of attention get 300-400 and solid hits or the heatedly controversial get >400. Kemono Friends didn't get weeklies but just the one review got 82 mostly positive comments.This show has 49 and of that you contributed almost 30% so without you or me there would be 27.

If you look at the people commenting, for the first few episodes there were a mix of different commentators but they stopped so that tells me that there was initial interest which died. That is why I call "flop". That isn't to say I dislike the show and I held out hope it would get better but I can see why a number of people seem to have dropped it.

Popularity on ANN means popularity on ANN and nothing more.
Yesterday Tatsuki upload an episode 12.1 (one an a half minute short, like an epilogue). In 24 hours it hit some ~2.7-2.8 million views across platforms and certainly more than 500 thousand comments.
On Nico Nico it ended with the same or higher satisfaction as Kemono Friends 1.
And you asked about sales. We already have numbers. Kemurikusa debuted on 4th place in the sales rank, 5,752 BD discs counting only 3 days of sales.
It is a success.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting, it seems that my misgivings weren't warranted and in Japan at least it was well-received. Glad to hear it! Smile Still don't get why you and they like it so much, but maybe that is just me...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4