• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime/Manga/Game Industry Celebrates April Fool's Day 2019 - Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Shirow Miwa (creator of the Dogs manga) apparently came up with Kamen Rider and PreCure parodies featuring the Servants he illustrated in Fate/Grand Order (Sigurd and Brynhild).

https://twitter.com/zi38/status/1112369335622733824

Speaking of Fate/Grand Order, a collab with Tsukihime has been apparently announced (in fan-made animation form).

https://twitter.com/tyuuboutyauyo/status/1112369986977226754
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I would be down for some of these being real, specifically the Yuru Camp/Universe crossover.

Tell me about it; I saw that one and thought, in between laughing, "Shoot, now I actually want to see this!"

The Bakugo Kaiju one was also funny (I always appreciate a Godzilla reference); and, in all seriousness, a BONES-animated Godzilla film would probably be awesome if it ever happened.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Speaking of Fate/Grand Order, a collab with Tsukihime has been apparently announced (in fan-made animation form).

https://twitter.com/tyuuboutyauyo/status/1112369986977226754

All right, that is, by far, one of the most diabolical April Fools joke ever. Way to pull on the Tsukihime fans' heart strings! Laughing
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Huh, Deku is Mothra (Kaiju Deku) while Bakugo is Godzilla (Dai Kaijū Bakugo). I love that Todoroki is just sleeping in both of the pictures.
I wonder if the pictures are connected, like Deku's group is watching Bakugo's Godzilla while Bakugo's group is watching Deku's Mothra. Deku is horrified about being a giant Moth while Bakugo is angry that he doesn't look like that
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This just goes to show how hard it is to come up with an anime spinoff/crossover that's too silly to actually exist. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these become real.

And uh... "Abba's Tea" is supposed to look like something that rhymes with tea, right? That's the joke?
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
This just goes to show how hard it is to come up with an anime spinoff/crossover that's too silly to actually exist. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these become real.

And uh... "Abba's Tea" is supposed to look like something that rhymes with tea, right? That's the joke?

"cha" means tea, so read it like "Abba-cha" instead of Abbachio.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Oof. Looking at that "GASE" just reminded me of the intro to a now-obscure Sega CD game, Panic!. That game showed that exact same logo at the very beginning of that game! (it came out in 1994)

Still own it, in fact.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
"cha" means tea, so read it like "Abba-cha" instead of Abbachio.

I guess it's a pun in two languages, then. But mainly a visual gag in any case.

Anyway, so far it looks like Promised Neverland is the clear winner of the prank contest.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
As per usual, these should all be real.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sadly, again nothing on the level of Haotful Boyfriend but the best "jokes" to me are either those where significant effort went into them or where they catch unwarry viewers unawares. In the latter regard, the best so far is the Yatogame-chan newscaster. I can imagine people tuning in expecting to see news and get (the regular newscaster?) in cosplay hosting a couple of silly "man on the street" interviews. Then there is the Show by Rock/Magical Girl mashup video which, not knowing the shows at all, seems like a fun idea and which took some effort to make. And then "Uta Macross" with a dancing pickle (?) which has what sounds like a legit good song (lyrics are quite silly) and good singers. Again, effort! And for best concepts, Precure/Butt Detective (hilarious!) and Marulk's Everyday (yes please!!)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
April 1 should be formally called Fake News Day, especially when it come to anime, manga, and gaming-related articles.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Lynzee, the bungo mayou inu event is indeed kindergarten-based, but that's a re-run event. This year the event has an upgrade: the characters are re-imagined as kindergarteners with magical powers. (The link actually shows exactly that)

Also for Kuroko no basuke, isn't that 'oendan', a form of Japanese cheerleading?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
To be honest, that Marulk and Ozen spin-off sounds like something I would watch.

Same here! Jokes aside, I could actually see that working as a short spinoff.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
On the mobile games I play:

1) Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage had a day-long Nono event where you search for her by playing storybook minesweeper. Completing the games/story nets you an in-game 3D music video of Nono running from her friends in the forest while badly singing her own version of "Answer".

2) Million Live! Theater Days had an rpg event where you got to play the story of the tokusatsu story the girls once filmed. You could earn permanent titles for your ID in the game.

3) Granblue Fantasy had a puzzle-solving mini-event.

4) Princess Connect! Re:Dive had a mecha llama girl event.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely watch Mahō Shōjo Magical Raiha with the Quintuplet of Witch if it was a real show!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3