• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Domestic Girlfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuzumei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
What a disappointing show!!!

I was expecting a mexican telenovela drama experience of a boy turn apart by the affection and machinations of his two step sisters.
I also had hopes that the show could had been another "Scum's Wish" but nope.

The only good drama you will get from this show is from it's great OP. The show doesn't live up to his OP.

I really like the dynamic that Rui and Natsuo had during the first half of the season and I can understand why Rui started to have feelings for him but the same cannot be said about Hina.

The show went down hill fast as soon as Hina started dating Natsuo. What a boring sappy relationship!! There was no build up for their relationship at all and Rui became a secondary character.

But I think a bigger mistake of the show was to break up Hina's relationship with the married guy. Hina should have started an affair with Natsuo behind her married bf.

Hina is a damaged woman going through a painful relationship with a married man, a relationship in which she was suffering and had no control. Out of revenge or to make herself feel better she selfishly takes advantage of this horny naive student who had a crush on her and starts an affair with him. This could have created a lot more drama and conflict.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
I really like the dynamic that Rui and Natsuo had during the first half of the season and I can understand why Rui started to have feelings for him but the same cannot be said about Hina.

The show went down hill fast as soon as Hina started dating Natsuo. What a boring sappy relationship!! There was no build up for their relationship at all and Rui became a secondary character.

But I think a bigger mistake of the show was to break up Hina's relationship with the married guy. Hina should have started an affair with Natsuo behind her married bf.

Hina is a damaged woman going through a painful relationship with a married man, a relationship in which she was suffering and had no control. Out of revenge or to make herself feel better she selfishly takes advantage of this horny naive student who had a crush on her and starts an affair with him. This could have created a lot more drama and conflict.

I agree with all of this. I still liked Domestic Girlfriend enough to buy it on BD, but I would have really liked it if it had done what you suggest in the last paragraph. Writing great trashy drama should not be that difficult to do.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Is it just a glorified commercial? I haven't seen the last half of the anime yet, but from what I have seen, and what the reviewer has said, it seems to have followed the manga pretty good. If you liked the manga, you probably will like the anime. That is not a commercial. But it usually is what manga fans want out of an anime adaption.

For me, Domestic Girlfriend is good trashy fun, I like all three main characters. So I hope a second season comes out. Still waiting for a new volume of the manga to come out. Not going to buy the chapters.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Is it just a glorified commercial? I haven't seen the last half of the anime yet, but from what I have seen, and what the reviewer has said, it seems to have followed the manga pretty good. If you liked the manga, you probably will like the anime. That is not a commercial. But it usually is what manga fans want out of an anime adaption

It was following it faithfully at first, then the last 3-4 episodes or so zoomed through about 30-40 chapters at a breakneck pace. It was frankly kind of astonishing.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
What a disappointing show!!!

I was expecting a mexican telenovela drama experience of a boy turn apart by the affection and machinations of his two step sisters.
I also had hopes that the show could had been another "Scum's Wish" but nope.

The only good drama you will get from this show is from it's great OP. The show doesn't live up to his OP.

No comment, just applause. So right on.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
While most of the critiques of the final episode are valid, the critique of his novel winning the "Young Writer's Prize", which was specifically an AMATEUR writer's prize, without going through rewrites with editors, is unfair. Recall that he had been writing, if I recall, a short story per week to submit to his teacher for critique for the majority of the semester and he had gotten feedback on his previous novel that he wrote with the main character based on Hina as well, so he had been getting quite a bit of training. Also, the prize won the right to get the book published, but that doesn't mean it's going to be published without being polished by the editor he was introduced to in the episode. Also, while the animation is suggestive of a one-draft writing, that doesn't mean he didn't go back over each chapter as he finished and edit or go back over the entire story and edit it after the fact.

Works submitted to amateur contests are not generally polished by professional editors prior to submission as far as I know. In fact, many amateur contests might consider that to be a violation of the "amateur" status of the work. Of course, even using a publisher is optional if you just want to put your work out there for people to read at this point. Self-publishing is so easy that anyone can publish books. Getting a publishing contract, on the other hand, isn't so easy.

I also didn't take the Picasso quote as being an Epigraph, since it wasn't attributed directly, but in a note on another part of the screen, but as a commentary by the teacher about the amount of improvement he saw in Natsuo's writing from his earlier work and the emotional state he knew the boy to be in.
siromkun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...Admittedly, I've yet to publish any of my own fiction or poetry, but I got my degree in Creative Writing, I'm a published media critic who works with editors regularly, and I teach writing and literacy for a living, so I'd like to think I know a thing or two about the process...

Okay, was wondering what was it about this show that made James shit on it with such passion every single week... Turns out it was petty jealousy.
Not cool man, not cool
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Is it just a glorified commercial? I haven't seen the last half of the anime yet, but from what I have seen, and what the reviewer has said, it seems to have followed the manga pretty good. If you liked the manga, you probably will like the anime. That is not a commercial. But it usually is what manga fans want out of an anime adaption

It was following it faithfully at first, then the last 3-4 episodes or so zoomed through about 30-40 chapters at a breakneck pace. It was frankly kind of astonishing.

Not having read the manga yet (although I now want to), I can only presume it's because they got word pretty early on that this was not going to be continuing and they wanted to end on satisfying plot resolution. From what I gather of what was skipped, nothing there would have made for a compelling closure to 12 episodes.

Really, it just speaks to how deprived we are in the modern anime landscape. This is the kind of show that could have used more time to breath, even if they still did end up skipping through a lot of content.

Actually, I was reminded pretty early on (and for the remainder of the series) of "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou" (with the tawdriness of Cruel Intentions), and there's no way that show would have had as strong a character set if they'd had to convince 24 eps down to 12.

If there was any show this season that needed a 24 episode commit for storytelling, it was this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6