• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film to Shoot in California, Receive US$18.5 Million Tax Credit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I really think this is gonna be a box-office flop. I appreciate Leonardo DiCaprio's Akira fandom and all, but it's just very difficult to successfully make a good live-action adaptation of an anime no matter how hard he tries. It's like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football from Lucy.

Not sure about that metaphor, since that implies the studio is cruelly TRYING to pull the opportunity away.

In the very first 50's Peanuts strip where Lucy held the football for Charlie, she panicked at the last second, dropped the ball and covered her eyes, and Charlie went flying.
That seems like a more accurate metaphor to what's happened to most anime-illiterate big American studio adaptations of anime.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
And yet Alita happened, it's possible to make a good adaptation of something it's just rare.

While millions and millions of dollars were spent on the project by a largely manga-illiterate director overcompensatingly trying to explain to Western people why manga characters have Them-There Eyes.
They sparkle, they bubble, and--if you're not acquainted enough with anime going into the project that you think you have to work overtime to rationalize them--they're gonna get you into a whole lotta trouble. Rolling Eyes
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Because Valkyrie in the comics is white?

Which no one really cared about?

Plenty of people care about these things. You literally just quoted someone who quoted someone worried about the casting choices in this adaption.

Quote:
And yet Alita happened, it's possible to make a good adaptation of something it's just rare.

Calling Alita a good adaption is certainly debatable.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:

Plenty of people care about these things.

In that particular instance the only people who cared about that are the same people whining about how diversity is killing comic books
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2