• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
So I was wondering what shows ya'll recommend I should keep an eye out for/watch this season?
If you're a shoujo fan, the Fruits Basket reboot is going to be the big hit everyone will talk about this season. Sarazanmai is also recommend for the reasons Key mentions. If you're looking for something more action focused, Demon Slayer is a ufotable production airing this season that should have some very impressive animation to keep an eye on. There's also Carol & Tuesday but that's a Netflix show so I don't know when that's going to drop. I recently started watching the Netflix Ultraman and I personally am enjoying it though that all depends on your tolerance for CGI anime but I think it's one of the better ones. I'll also be checking out Fairy Gone depending on how that turns out.
Pikapwn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Of all the things you could have used as the cover image, why THAT scene from Ace of Diamond xD Bringing back trauma
Killerqueen2000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Im sorry, but the ace of diamond act 2 review was pretty bad. Why did he/she have to throw unnecessary shade at Sawamura and compare this series to haikyuu?

"He has a similar energy to Hinata, but none of the charm."

what even is this? not related to the episode at all. Ace of diamond is a way different story than Haikyuu. haikyuu shouldnt even be brought up in the review
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
Will ANN be doing a season review of Ultraman?

On its own with no background in the franchise, I think it's a solid 7.5/8 out of 10 series.

But if you're a fan of Ultraman and/or a reader of the manga, such as myself? 10 out of 10.

The largest complaint seems to be with the 3D animation, which while it does get choppy, a lot of the mo-cap for the action is impressive and allows the show to capture and preserve its tokusatsu origins.

And while I appreciate that the show tries to offer as much closure as possible at the end, the many mentions of N.Y. had me really hoping for an (manga spoiler) spoiler[Ultraman Taro tease.]

P.S. Dan Moroboshi is the best character.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:

The more difficult thing to predict with YU-NO is how they'll adapt the stories overwhelming branching plot. While it's easy for them to just start with the Step-mom's (Ayumi) route and go from there in the beginning (that's what I'd do personally), how they proceed after that when the game is about flexibly moving through different points in time to complete the other routes will be interesting to see.

Yeah, that reminds me of when I watched to heart and I found all the arcs to be underwhelming and boring, until I watched the multi arc, which was pretty good; it was helped by haivng multi be a side character for most arcs so she built some rapport before her arc gets started. The other arcs felt lame and blad, but multi's arcs was as good as any of the best arcs of any other galge (clannad,,fate, etc...) adaptation. which amke s alot of sense because back then all galge had bland arcs and multi's was the exception that showed that you can have good arcs in galge and after that writers started making good arcs for galge; makes you wonder that withotu it we would probably still be stuck in the 90s regarding galge arc quality.
relena4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Killerqueen2000 wrote:
Im sorry, but the ace of diamond act 2 review was pretty bad. Why did he/she have to throw unnecessary shade at Sawamura and compare this series to haikyuu?

"He has a similar energy to Hinata, but none of the charm."

what even is this? not related to the episode at all. Ace of diamond is a way different story than Haikyuu. haikyuu shouldnt even be brought up in the review

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I don't even like Haikyuu personally, so it's just unpleasant reading a review like that, based on personal bias.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
YU-NO was written by visual novel pioneer Hiroyuki Kanno along with Ryu Umemoto who often composed the FM-synth scores. Unfortunately they both died within months of each other in 2011 at ages 43 and 37 respectively. Kanno is also known for the famous visual novel Eve Burst Error (which I played a couple of years ago - I was hoping the remastered version would be localized but hasn't). YU-NO is supposed to making an official USA localisation by Spike Chunsoft sometime this year on PS4 and PC.

I thought the reviews of YU-NO and Ace of Diamond were as others have noticed, sort of slap dash put together giving short shrift to their subjects. One thing came to mind as I was reading them was the exchange between Captain Kirk and Spock in Star Trek VI. "Don't believe them, Don't trust them" Hopefully there will be more thoughtful reviews going forward.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
One thing came to mind as I was reading them was the exchange between Captain Kirk and Spock in Star Trek VI. "Don't believe them, Don't trust them" Hopefully there will be more thoughtful reviews going forward.

Wasn't the whole point of that movie that "don't believe them, don't trust them" was close-minded? Confused
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wasn't the whole point of that movie that "don't believe them, don't trust them" was close-minded?

That is one of the many implied meanings, others being that Spock's view was naive and simplistic and that Chancellor Gorkon's viewpoint was not held by the rest of the Klingon High Council - the same government that would sentence Kirk and McCoy to a lifetime of hard labor on Rura Penthe where the average life expectancy was no more than a year.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
YU-NO was written by visual novel pioneer Hiroyuki Kanno along with Ryu Umemoto who often composed the FM-synth scores. Unfortunately they both died within months of each other in 2011 at ages 43 and 37 respectively. Kanno is also known for the famous visual novel Eve Burst Error (which I played a couple of years ago - I was hoping the remastered version would be localized but hasn't). YU-NO is supposed to making an official USA localisation by Spike Chunsoft sometime this year on PS4 and PC.

I thought the reviews of YU-NO and Ace of Diamond were as others have noticed, sort of slap dash put together giving short shrift to their subjects. One thing came to mind as I was reading them was the exchange between Captain Kirk and Spock in Star Trek VI. "Don't believe them, Don't trust them" Hopefully there will be more thoughtful reviews going forward.

I mean... ace of diamond is a sequel, so at this point people mostly know whether they'll watch it or not, there's not much point in making a deep review. And it doesn't matter what pedigree YU-NO has, most people are just interested in whether or not it's worth watching. For most people there's no difference between "No, it's incredibly dated and not particularly well done" and No, It's incredibly dated because :long explanation of the history: and not particularly well done".
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also could be that Manaka Iwami, the relative newcomer voicing Tohru, hasn't settled into the role as quickly as Laura Bailey did for the English version of the 2001 series.

Did you not check out the dub, Theron? Both the dub and sub come out at the same time, at least for now, and Laura Bailey did come back, so maybe you should check that out. Smile
Swami.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I love how Theron is usually an outlier. He makes great points in his reasoning though.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched it with my wife and our three kids 17f, 10b and 8b. Everyone enjoyed it and wants to see more. I am SO GLAD FB is back and I will finally get to see the ending of the series. Thanks you shojo gods.

Sad, exciting, funny. What an amazing series / episode.

5/5
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't even comment on Ace of the Diamond Act II due to only starting S1 a couple days ago, but I'm really enjoying it so far.
Does anyone know if the English dub of Fruits Basket will be put on Crunchyroll or Hulu, or is it just a Funimation exclusive? I don't want to pay for another streaming service just for one show Confused
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Love that Theron has a different opinion/perspective, even if I disagree with it wholeheartedly. It's been really interesting seeing different perspectives from fans who are new, only watched the 2001 series, watched the series and read the manga, etc...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15