• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Produces English Dub for My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
All is right with the world again!!!
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
they are on a roll...time too live off some ramen noodles too afford it >.>
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:54 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll just wait until they reissue this with the dub -- and maybe Season 3.
They did the whole series compilation of the first two seasons early last year and then it went OOP very quickly!

Sentai has been a on roll of dubbing past shows that previously had no dubs for them.
So this list looks like => To Love Ru, Kampfer, and now My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.

To be honest, I have no clue behind their rationale other than they believe they can sell quite a few more copies of these shows or get them streamed them easier (on other services besides HiDive) with the English dub.
The streaming seems more likely.
The thing is these shows are considered old now. Kampfer was 10 years (ago?) and To Love Ru, th earlier seasons, is about the same vintage. Sentai also never licensed the OVA's for TLR, either.
I think the vast majority of people who were going to buy these shows have done so already.
Sentai is still pretty good about re-releasing shows they went ahead and dubbed after the previous dub-only DVD/BD releases...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
I wish they would give Punch Line a dub, I mean the original cast are great, I just think that a fair number of Sentai regulars would fit nicely into those roles.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
Well,GeorgeC. I don't have a problem with it. I don't care if an anime is old or not,just so long as it gets an English dub,I'm perfectly happy with it. You know the old saying,"Better late than never." That should definitely apply to this situation.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote
Best News for the Week. a dub and S3 man. As someone who Enjoys Dubs i must admit I wonder who they can get to Dub Hiki. Takuya Eguchi was Perfect as Hiki
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
Ah, this is good news. Potentially S3 could end up with a simuldub. I'd be interesting to see this series dubbed, just to see what it'd be like, since it is a show that is "heavy on the ears". Laughing

Now, I just wonder what will see the light of day first. The dub, season 3, or the final LN volume? Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
I love this series and I'd knew it will get dubbed sooner or later but I did eventually buy...
Wait, never mind, I only bought the DVD. Reason to double dip... doubly.

Now watch Sentai not license the third season. Something has to go wrong eventually and it may be that.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:
Best News for the Week. a dub and S3 man. As someone who Enjoys Dubs i must admit I wonder who they can get to Dub Hiki. Takuya Eguchi was Perfect as Hiki

I think Adam Gibbs or Austin Tindle I think would be a good Hachiman
imperative7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
This is great news. I didn't buy SNAFU previously because of a lack of a dub. I believe that buying without a dub is generally a bad idea because seriously blu-rays are expensive. However, now I'm happy I didn't buy this show so that I can get it with a dub. Hopefully Sentai will do a good job with it. Their dubs are generally good, so, it should be fine.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Congrats to those who wanted a dub for this show. I am honestly surprised Sentai decided to dub this title. I know that some fans online have been asking for a dub for years, but I never thought it was popular enough for Sentai to actually do it.

I am quite satisfied with watching SNAFU subbed, but I hope the English version is of high quality.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Pleasant surprise here! I just wonder what Sentai will be charging for the remastered Blu for both cours.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Pleasant surprise here! I just wonder what Sentai will be charging for the remastered Blu for both cours.

The anime isn't THAT old. It was produced digitally for hi-def about 6 years ago (Season 1). They're only going to add an English track to it; I doubt they'll remux the video (other than to make sure the English audio is in sync with the video).

Season 2 came out four years ago and Season 3 was just announced shortly before Sentai made the announcement about the dubs.

Who knows how they're going to release this? Single season sets again with dub for the first two series, complete series (which they just did last year for the first two seasons) with Season Three, or Season Three separately.
I still kind of feel the ship has sailed for dubs on these 5-10 year-old show that Sentai just announced.
There are people who are in denial about the permanence of entertainment today. It's way more disposable since the peak of DVD than I've noticed. How many shows made in the last 10-15 years have REALLY made an impact and have stayed relevant today?
People just aren't as geeked out about films and TV shows made this century that I can tell.
Large numbers of people are in denial about the massive decline in popularity of several old franchises. Things that were very popular when I was in college are basically dead now except for a very diehard fans that'll buy anything with the right label slapped on it. There will always be fans who buy things even if it's a beaten, dried out corpse of a horse! Most other people have standards of quality and move on when they see the horse is dead, or they develop higher priorities in life and outgrow hobbies.

The collector base for physical media is shrinking drastically. A disturbing thing I saw today was a TON of DVDs marked down for $1 in a bin at Wal Mart including a few $2 Blu rays. (It's a bit like all those Star Wars toys they STILL can't sell at the Dollar Stores!) I've NEVER seen that before in a mass-market merchandiser. Liquidatory specialty stores, yes, but not Wal Mart or Target. None of it was anime, of course, but the mainstream market is definitely dwindling and it will affect the anime industry, too.

There are already far fewer replication plants for disc-based media and several companies (Samsung, Oppo most prominently) have dropped out of making set-stop players for disc media. Heck, the music CD itself has virtually disappeared from everywhere but B&N and Wal Mart and you can basically only buy soundtracks for movies and TV shows online. Best Buy dissolved the music sections left in their stores and are selling off their last CD's in bargain bins.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I still kind of feel the ship has sailed for dubs on these 5-10 year-old show that Sentai just announced.
There are people who are in denial about the permanence of entertainment today. It's way more disposable since the peak of DVD than I've noticed. How many shows made in the last 10-15 years have REALLY made an impact and have stayed relevant today?
People just aren't as geeked out about films and TV shows made this century that I can tell.
I sort of agree with you, but the time frame is a bit long. It is more along the lines of the last 7-6 years. I remember vividly that people were still interested in shows that had finished airing 10 years ago, it was around the time Attack on Titan, and the simulcast boom, that people became less and less interested in anything that was not currently airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1