• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Premiere Report - Fruits Basket 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This is one series that I'm gonna have to stay on top of.....
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this, I'm so excited Shocked
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
My only experience with Fruits Basket was watching the original anime way back when I was in high school and I've never read the manga. Even if it wasn't a faithful adaptation, I could tell it was a special series, but it's been amazing to me how long it's popularity has lasted over the decades and appealed to fans of all ages and genders. I'm excited to finally get to experience Takaya's true vision brought to life and I'm glad the fans have been pleased by a high quality production thus far. Fruits Basket is already looking like it's going to be anime of the year for a lot of people.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree so much with this review! My expectations (which were already high enough despite my best efforts) were easily met and I couldn't be more excited for the rest to begin airing. The rest of my audience at yesterday's screening seemed to feel the exact same way - and we had both fans of the manga, original anime, and newcomers. You could hear audible groans when it was over and we were all just like "bring on the next episode!"

I was also really impressed with the dub, particularly Caitlin Glass's ADR direction in certain moments, Jerry Jewell's ability to sound exactly like he did almost 20 years ago and Laura Bailey's slightly improved take on Tohru. Basically everyone is a better actor, we have correct name pronunciations, and the sound mixing is a lot more balanced. Its a nostalgic cast for sure, but definitely meets the standards of modern dubs. I wish I could go again tonight and see the Japanese cast, but alas. I'll probably be watching this in both languages, despite the mountain of shows to keep up with in Spring.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I do hope the anime let itself deviate somewhat from the source manga, I remember the beginning was fairly solid but later on the story started to meander a bit and could use some restructuring here and there. Anime storytelling has changed quite a bit in the last few decades and story are generally much faster pace when there not doing slice of life, fruit basket does shift from more SoL/light shojo to more drama focus over the volume, I just hope we don't end up with a SoL pace for the dramatic moment.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Last night's premiere was a magical experience. I went with my sister and a couple of friends (one of whom has never seen or heard of Furuba) and we all left feeling just ecstatic about what we had seen. It wasn't quite perfect; my sister felt that the early scenes were slightly forced and while I think the tone and pacing are going to really benefit the show in the long run, I do miss some of the zany energy of the original adaption. But aside from that and some questionable shot composition, I don't know what could be said about the 2001 show that is really better so far (OK, granted, we have yet to see that OP and ED-- that felt like a bit of a cheat): if anything, the approach to this strikes me as a healthy blend of the things that made the first anime work combined with the tonal and narrative elements of the manga that needed to be better integrated. The sight of the baseball cap had me practically doing backflips.

Also, as much as I love Laura Bailey as Tohru and the other returning cast members, Jerry Jewell was definitely the MVP. He sounds like he hasn't missed a beat since 2004 and his Kyo is just pitch-perfect. For newcomers, I thought Uo and Hana were cast really well. After giving it some thought, my one concern would be Clinkenbeard's Akito: this is easily the most difficult role in the show, and we only got a couple of lines to go off of, but somehow they sounded just a little off, maybe a bit too rote and neutral. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the delightful venom that dripped off Chad Cline's interpretation, haha.

Quote:
despite its fame as a shojo manga, Fruits Basket strikes me as more of a human drama that explores timeless emotional experiences

I absolutely loved that Uchida framed it this way and you could tell that everyone in the audience felt an instant connection with what he had said, because that's the truth of it. For all its genre ornamentation, Furuba is deeply concerned with the human condition and the process of growth that occurs through healing connections-- and what happens to people who are forged in the fires of isolation and alienation.

Also, I feel very strongly that you can trust a guy who picks Momiji as the person he most aspires to be like in life.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

Also, I feel very strongly that you can trust a guy who picks Momiji as the person he most aspires to be like in life.

So true.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
After giving it some thought, my one concern would be Clinkenbeard's Akito: this is easily the most difficult role in the show, and we only got a couple of lines to go off of, but somehow they sounded just a little off, maybe a bit too rote and neutral.

I was actually really pleased with Akito's voice (at least the little we heard of it) thankfully. Its only a line or two, but I liked the general tone. I'm now just super excited to hear everyone else who didn't appear in the first two episodes.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll be watching the Japanese version when this comes out but it'll definitely be a little weird not to hear Seki Tomokazu as Kyou.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

JacobC wrote:
So true.

Agreed.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I was actually really pleased with Akito's voice (at least the little we heard of it) thankfully. Its only a line or two, but I liked the general tone. I'm now just super excited to hear everyone else who didn't appear in the first two episodes.

There's every chance I'll love what Clinkenbeard is doing with the part, and of course any judgment on my end is super premature. I was just listening with some hyper-awareness because the role of Akito strikes me as particularly complex and compelling (not necessarily for the reason a lot of people tend to focus on); more than anything, I'm really just anticipating how this version of the anime will do the character justice. There are so many layers to peel back, and I'm hoping for the best.

crosswithyou wrote:
I'll be watching the Japanese version when this comes out but it'll definitely be a little weird not to hear Seki Tomokazu as Kyou.

I'll be watching both versions as I did with the original, and while I'm excited to hear how the new Japanese cast approaches the characters, I do feel a lot of sympathy for fans of the original Japanese actors as hearing the English dub performers return to their roles definitely added a lot to the experience for me. Still, it's pretty surreal to think that even a year ago a full Fruits Basket adaptation felt like a distant daydream. I'm basically down with whatever gets the job done, haha.
graywolf323

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I kinda hope the new anime also leads to the manga being available digitally

I'd love to have it all on my Kindle to read anytime anywhere Smile

I already own it all physically but all my physical manga is in storage
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved it! This is the remake of my childhood I've desperately been waiting for!

My only real complaint is not seeing that silly little "Prince Yuuki LOVE" dance by his fan club girls. I MISS THAT! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1