• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I get that all the kitaro faithful are sad it's leaving, but this was inevitable...
You got over 50 episodes reviewed. at this point there isn't a point to reviewing the show except for the hard core kitaro audience. the show has had now 4 seasons of declining US viewership plus never being popular at all to begin with in the US (at least).
the series has never had the arc based resurgence that other long running shonen anime have had, so unfortunately for ANN this show joins the ranks or toriko.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I wanted James to review YU-NO, though I guess he does need a break from bad anime after surviving Hand Shakers 2.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
So what happened with Karakuri Circus, it wasn't an option to vote for, so i thought that maybe it was being continued as this was the last cour, but apparently not.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if this may sound rude, but I'm curious how was the decision to stop reviewing Kitaro and Karakuri Circus was made.

If it was declining readership I could understand, but then that would have been reflected in the daily streaming poll and an announcement would have been made at the top of the results.

Or was it due to the length of each series? I could understand Kitaro getting cut since it's been airing for a year, but people seem to love it. Karakuri is a different story, where it has another 11-12 episodes left. In that vein of thought, why these two as opposed to, hypothetically, Fairy Tail (please don't stop, I love Rebecca's reviews), Black Clover, One Piece, or Boruto?

Back to the actual results, most of what I wanted got in (thank goodness Sarazanmai got in, or I fear I would have no idea what's going on), but I will share my disappointment in the lack of RobiHachi, which has my kind of dumb humor that I enjoy in anime. I also would have liked Midnight Occult Civil Service, as it looks like the kind of show that will scratch my yokai anime itch that Mononokean II left behind. I'm actually surprised at the lack of Ace in the Diamond Act II; I though the show was popular (not like I could have read the review when I'm only halfway through the first part of season 1), but I guess the curse of sports anime on ANN still lives on, even with the spectacular Run with the Wind concluding last season.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Forgive me if this may sound rude, but I'm curious how was the decision to stop reviewing Kitaro and Karakuri Circus was made.

If it was declining readership I could understand, but then that would have been reflected in the daily streaming poll and an announcement would have been made at the top of the results.

Yes, the traffic for those shows was very low to begin with, although it warms my heart that so many people are posting about enjoying those Kitaro reviews; I enjoyed them as well and I think the show is pretty special, so I'm glad we got to cover it for a whole year despite its niche appeal. Kitaro has never done well in the daily streaming poll, but it's always done just well enough that when we were covering 27 shows or so, we could throw it a bone. Sadly, we have to cut back for a while, and it doesn't have a shot at top 20.

Karakuri Circus pretty much always had garbage traffic, so we gave it the boot heading into the spring season because we knew there was no way we were keeping it on. Sorry. ^^;

By contrast, One Piece and Boruto don't poll all that well (Black Clover and Fairy Tail do better), but the traffic for all of them is much higher. Boruto in particular has the most ridiculous gap between the ratio of people who vote for it versus the number of people who read it. So your average more-engaged ANN forums regular doesn't vote for Boruto, but tons of people who casually click on the site read those reviews.

Incidentally, the two shows that were closest to making the cut in our reduced roster were Hitoribocchi and Midnight Occult Civil Servants. After that it was a much greater gap between the wheat and chaff, but those two were the toughest cuts to make.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Please get more reviewers so more reviews can be covered. Doesnt make sense to send people to other sites because you dont want to exceed 20 weekly reviews, especially when several slots are taken up by beloved long running shows/and 2nd halfs of previous shows.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I’m sad to see Theron reviewing two shows for Spring instead of three. I just hope that it’s an aberration for him.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Please get more reviewers so more reviews can be covered.

It's not a matter of staff availability, it's a matter of reader interest. While it's great that social media allows for communities to grow around even the most niche anime of any given season, the number of people who will show up to read coverage of that niche anime is always pretty minimal. Spending more of our writers' time on shows that most site visitors aren't interested in reading about just wasn't wise. (To be honest, twenty is still generous compared to how many of those anime per season most people are actually watching.) Covering 25-30 was overkill in terms of resource allocation, and we always knew it but we wanted to err on the side of pleasing as many people as possible. I'm glad we were able to keep it up for a few years, but the time has come to make changes.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’m sad to see Theron reviewing two shows for Spring instead of three. I just hope that it’s an aberration for him.

When it comes to reviewers covering two versus three shows a season, that will be decided based on who wants or is able to review what's left over and how badly, so there's no permanence to it. Theron might be back to three shows next season, or he might not, but it all depends entirely on the specific needs of the season.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Pretty happy all my favorites (so far) are going to be covered. I've been really enjoying the Dororo reviews so far, and I'll look forward to checking out the Fruits Basket and Attack on Titan write-ups. Those Sarazanmai weekly reviews are probably going to be especially helpful, as the YuriKuma Arashi ones were.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sad about Kitaro reviews going away. Rebecca's knowledge of folklore and fantastic literature always added depth to understanding the episodes.

What is this "daily streaming poll" that Jacob mentioned?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, all 10 shows I picked are getting reviewed Shocked
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

It's the community poll that's posted every season at the end of each Preview Guide, where people can vote on what shows they want to see daily streaming reviews for.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
dm wrote:

It's the community poll that's posted every season at the end of each Preview Guide, where people can vote on what shows they want to see daily streaming reviews for.

Thanks. I was thinking it was something different (e. g., something "daily" in the forums).
Milijango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Sad about the cuts but I don’t fault anyone for them. Losing Kitaro is a big shame but I’m grateful the coverage got even this far.

Hitoribocchi not making the cutoff is very surprising, it’s sitting at #10 on AniChart above Sarazanmai right now. I think it’ll be good, but in all fairness not much could be gained from weekly reviews on a show like that.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
RenRen94 wrote:

Yes, the traffic for those shows was very low to begin with, although it warms my heart that so many people are posting about enjoying those Kitaro reviews; I enjoyed them as well and I think the show is pretty special, so I'm glad we got to cover it for a whole year despite its niche appeal. Kitaro has never done well in the daily streaming poll, but it's always done just well enough that when we were covering 27 shows or so, we could throw it a bone. Sadly, we have to cut back for a while, and it doesn't have a shot at top 20.

Karakuri Circus pretty much always had garbage traffic, so we gave it the boot heading into the spring season because we knew there was no way we were keeping it on. Sorry. ^^;

By contrast, One Piece and Boruto don't poll all that well (Black Clover and Fairy Tail do better), but the traffic for all of them is much higher. Boruto in particular has the most ridiculous gap between the ratio of people who vote for it versus the number of people who read it. So your average more-engaged ANN forums regular doesn't vote for Boruto, but tons of people who casually click on the site read those reviews.

Incidentally, the two shows that were closest to making the cut in our reduced roster were Hitoribocchi and Midnight Occult Civil Servants. After that it was a much greater gap between the wheat and chaff, but those two were the toughest cuts to make.

Thanks for the insight, it really cleared things up. Shame about Midnight Occult Civil Service just barely missing the cutoff though, I thought Rebecca would have done an awesome job with her mythology knowledge, or even Rose who reviewed Mononokean II last season.

I'll definitely be reading your Sarazanmai and Fruits Basket reviews. Since Fruits Basket and a few others are getting a same day simuldub, will the reviews reference the Japanese or English dub? Or will that be up to the reviewer's preference?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5