• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I do believe this is the first streaming review series Jacob's doing since Utena in 2017 -- and the first one for a new anime since Scum's Wish that winter. Guess he couldn't pass up the opportunity for these two particular shows, though I'm guessing there was competition for at least one of them. Very Happy
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Poor Hitori Bocchi. The series thought it could make friends with ANN's non-forum-goers reader base, but that's definitely not the case. Sad

That was the only one I voted for, so, yeah, pretty disappointing. Senryu Girl was also pretty cute but that got left out, too.

I know they can only review so many shows, but... did we really need weekly coverage of Helpful Fox Senko-San, which isn't likely to have much of a plot beyond gradually getting less family-friendly? Or Yu-No, which is probably going to get dunked on repeatedly, making its fans angry? Oh, well. Might be nice to not have any vicious arguments hovering around the shows I'm watching, for a change.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see the Kitaro reviews go, but hopefully in a couple of years (after the next Dragonball Super season) there will be a new Kitaro season (since at least in Japan it is going strong) and we might get some more reviews here, hopefully in that time period more people will discover that not all shonen shows are about powerups and fist fights but still be pretty entertaining.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Poor Hitori Bocchi. The series thought it could make friends with ANN's non-forum-goers reader base, but that's definitely not the case. Sad

That was the only one I voted for, so, yeah, pretty disappointing. Senryu Girl was also pretty cute but that got left out, too.

I know they can only review so many shows, but... did we really need weekly coverage of Helpful Fox Senko-San, which isn't likely to have much of a plot beyond gradually getting less family-friendly? Or Yu-No, which is probably going to get dunked on repeatedly, making its fans angry? Oh, well. Might be nice to not have any vicious arguments hovering around the shows I'm watching, for a change.

That was because they polled high enough to qualify. ANN didn't see something get a lot of voted~s and went "nah, i don't like that one, let's put it to the side". The ones that didn't get into the list or got booted from it like GeGeGe, were just unfortunate enough to be on the wrong side of the cutoff. Can't do anything about it.

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:

I'll definitely be reading your Sarazanmai and Fruits Basket reviews. Since Fruits Basket and a few others are getting a same day simuldub, will the reviews reference the Japanese or English dub? Or will that be up to the reviewer's preference?

I'll definitely be watching both, but I imagine I'll only bring up the different versions when I think there's something interesting to say.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
That was because they polled high enough to qualify.

Yes, I'm aware. But I didn't point that out because then it becomes a more direct criticism of the fans' preferences, rather than the decision-making process. Besides that possibly making me sound pretentious, my alignment with what's hot in anime these days really is at an all-time low, and it's getting kinda discouraging.

Incidentally, there is no law that says ANN has to cover only the highest-polling options; they only do that in an attempt to get as many page views as possible, and as I recall they'll veto a show if no one on the team actually wants to write about it. Polls aren't always a good/accurate representative sample, anyway, especially on the internet.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
That was because they polled high enough to qualify.

Yes, I'm aware. But I didn't point that out because then it becomes a more direct criticism of the fans' preferences, rather than the decision-making process. Besides that possibly making me sound pretentious, my alignment with what's hot in anime these days really is at an all-time low, and it's getting kinda discouraging.

Incidentally, there is no law that says ANN has to cover only the highest-polling options; they only do that in an attempt to get as many page views as possible, and as I recall they'll veto a show if no one on the team actually wants to write about it. Polls aren't always a good/accurate representative sample, anyway, especially on the internet.

Agree with everything you said. My comment was just a, in tldr terms, "can't do anything about it *shrugs*" more or less.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'm another one of you who wanted to see RobiHachi reviewed... Crying or Very sad
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
Sarazanmai was pretty much the only thing I cared about getting reviews though I pity whoever has to do it. Reviewing Ikuhara without context of the whole show seems rough.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

Incidentally, the two shows that were closest to making the cut in our reduced roster were Hitoribocchi and Midnight Occult Civil Servants. After that it was a much greater gap between the wheat and chaff, but those two were the toughest cuts to make.

Surprised robihachi didn't even get close to enough, I though tiger and bunny did really well (at least well enough to warrant getting sequel/spin off) so I'd have figure robihachi would get in since it's so similar.

I didn't see the poll, was bungo stray dog 3 an option? The show never stroke me as particularly popular, figured it would get beaten by hitoribocchi. Bit surprised kono oto tomare and fox helper also did better than hitoribocchi, they all felt pretty similar to each others and did about the same in review score.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

I think it is unfortunate that Kitaro (and Hitori Bocchi) didn't make the cut this time and I agree that those who voted for Yu-no may have been overly optimistic about how its reviewer would receive it, given the reactions in the preview guide, and may not be pleased with the results to put it mildly, but the question remains about how one would do better. Certainly internet polls are not the most reliable kind of polls, generally speaking, but I think at this point the editors here have a good idea of how a show doing in this poll translates to views and where the disparities lie between votes and views (as with some of the long running shonen series, as Jacob mentioned earlier). As much as one would like to dismiss internet polls, as far as Kitaro goes, it seems the polls have accurately reflected the low traffic. I don't know how close the following shows are to the cutoff, but say Yu-no and/or Fairy Gone didn't make the cut and Hitori Bocchi did, I could definitely see fans of the former shows making much the same argument, saying how they're not into what's hot in anime and in Yu-no's case, also adding that the series in an influential work in its source medium (I haven't seen exactly why so far, but it was nonetheless), and deserved to be covered as such. With that in mind, what would a better decision making process look like? How would you decide between different niche titles on one side of the cutoff or another, let alone taking one of those niche titles below the cutoff over another show that many more users have said they want to see covered?

As far as vetoing something that no reviewer on the site wants to touch, that is also partially for the sake of the sites viewers, as you alluded to earlier. While those viewers would like to see the show reviewed, the editors know that those viewers won't like what the reviewers will say about the show, and they will have strong words about it in the forum, so it is better for all parties for those viewers to find a more amenable review somewhere else. That being said, while I am also a bit skeptical that the coverage of Yu-no will be what the voters wanted, I do think this sells Mr. Farris a bit short. He may like it for all we know, and he has in the past tackled some shows that the reviewers in the preview guide didn't take to, and covered them in a way that most fans of those shows would consider fair most of the time, though he has not always succeeded in doing so.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
As far as vetoing something that no reviewer on the site wants to touch, that is also partially for the sake of the sites viewers, as you alluded to earlier. While those viewers would like to see the show reviewed, the editors know that those viewers won't like what the reviewers will say about the show, and they will have strong words about it in the forum,

I mean, that's still page views at least. Though I understand that forum comments are probably not the most lucrative of the page views. I think Jake tweeted a while ago (or maybe it was a forum post) comparing one of the most highly viewed reviews having like 20 forums posts and another one that didn't get as many views having hundreds.That must be a nightmare.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
^I do recall Jacob talking in the forum about a show that had a lot of traffic but only like 20 comments (at the time). IIRC it was Tokyo Ghoul:Re. Don’t remember the part about the show that didn’t have as much traffic but hundreds of comments, but I can believe it. A deluge of negative comments isn’t the only kind of blowback they can get for a disagreeable review, though the thing I’m thinking of is only a temporary condition.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
While I'm not privy to the poll numbers, cases where a title gets enough votes to clearly make the cut but isn't covered because no one's willing to do it (as opposed to no one being able to do it because they haven't seen previous content in the franchise) are, I believe, quite rare. In fact, except for maybe back when we first started this process and were working out the kinks, I doubt if it's ever happened.

I'm disappointed that Midnight Occult Servants just missed making the cut, but not surprised given some of the stuff that hasn't made the broader cuts before. Hitoribocchi not making it was a surprise, as is RobiHachi not even coming close. The rest of the exclusions and inclusions were expected; I would have been shocked if either of the baseball series or the Buddha series even came close, for instance, and Senko-san has just the right kind of appeal to be at least mildly popular. Whether or not it's going to have enough substance to be worth commenting on week-to-week is another story, so I'm a bit interested to see what Steve has to say about that one. Not in the slightest surprised that Isekai Quartet made the cut despite being a half-episode offering, and yes, I'm giddy about getting to do that one. Smile

Anyway, I will likely be following Midnight Occult Civil Service, so expect a full series review on that one at least at the end of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Anyway, I will likely be following Midnight Occult Civil Service, so expect a full series review on that one at least at the end of the season.

That would be great to get at least that at the end of the season. MOCS is the one show that I really wanted to make the poll but figured might not make the cut. Having a season review at the end lets me focus on the other shows that did make it and revisit MOCS later and if it's worth diving into or not.

I think the one series I'm most interested in, because it surprised me, is Demon Slayer. I was always going to watch Fruit's Basket and OPM season 2. The first episode of Demon Slayer though certainly piqued my interests (judging by the rating episode 1 got by the community score a lot of others too it seems) so it'll be nice having a streaming review for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5