• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I'm not privy to the poll numbers, cases where a title gets enough votes to clearly make the cut but isn't covered because no one's willing to do it (as opposed to no one being able to do it because they haven't seen previous content in the franchise) are, I believe, quite rare. In fact, except for maybe back when we first started this process and were working out the kinks, I doubt if it's ever happened.

Yeah, I can't remember this ever happening. We've vetoed stuff that was on the cusp or just across the line before because no one wanted to write about it, but never anything major that people were seriously hyped about.

Since the poll results will always remain private, I can give you a broad idea of the data we're using to decide this stuff, just for funsies. The number of votes the poll gets depends heavily on how many hours it's up (I can't even say days, because it's up for like two days max), but the decision-making process always begins only after 1,000 votes are in; of course we return to the data throughout the process, but historically the standings don't change much (if at all) after that, even if the total number of votes triples given about 36 hours or so. When we were covering 25-30 shows, the absolute minimum a show needed to poll to be considered for daily streaming was about 14% (and its odds still aren't great if interest is that low). The "mediocre median" I guess I'll call it, the line where the greatest number of edge cases fall and you have to start splitting hairs, is always 17% for some reason.

After limiting ourselves to twenty shows, 17% is the new absolute minimum, but because so much stuff tends to fall into the 17-20% per season median, the deciding factors become slightly less about splitting hairs with numbers (which we don't want to do if there's like a 50-vote-or-less difference between the fringe options) and slightly more "are our writers interested in discussing this" and "will it be interesting or dynamic to read about on a weekly basis"?
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rebecca Silverman will be wrapping up her reviews of GeGeGe no Kitarō this week.

I too will be said to see the end of this reviews as I love the show and her additional context only added to my enjoyment.

Hopefully she can do a follow-up review of the episodes when the show wraps-up like Theron Martin did for Beatless Final Stage.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kiskaloo wrote:

I too will be said to see the end of this reviews as I love the show and her additional context only added to my enjoyment.

Hopefully she can do a follow-up review of the episodes when the show wraps-up like Theron Martin did for Beatless Final Stage.

Thank you, everyone, for all of your kind words about my Kitaro reviews. They've consistently been the most enjoyable for me to write and I'm really sad it didn't make the cut. And yes, Kiskaloo, that is my current plan - I don't know how much longer the show will continue, but I'll definitely write longer wrap-up reviews. (Or review, singular, depending.)

I'm planning to keep watching Midnight Occult Civil Service, too, so yes, someone will cover it at season's end. (Probably still Theron, but you know, just some extra assurances there that it'll likely get done. Smile)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, we'll sort out who's going to do it at the end of the season, probably based on who has more time to do it at that point. After just watching ep 2, MOCS is now firmly on my "keeper" list for the season.

JacobC wrote:
After limiting ourselves to twenty shows, 17% is the new absolute minimum, but because so much stuff tends to fall into the 17-20% per season median, the deciding factors become slightly less about splitting hairs with numbers (which we don't want to do if there's like a 50-vote-or-less difference between the fringe options) and slightly more "are our writers interested in discussing this" and "will it be interesting or dynamic to read about on a weekly basis"?

Based on forum comments over the years, my impression has been that a fair amount of voters actually take the latter point into account when voting on titles. I don't commonly vote in the polls myself, but when I do I always make my choices based on what would be most interesting to read about.

Thanks for the stats reveal, though! As someone who's always been a stats freak, I had long wondered how things broke down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm taking a break from writing daily streaming reviews for the next couple of seasons to work on my dissertation prospectus and other projects, but will be eager to read other reviewers' takes on this season's crop of shows!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
After just watching ep 2, MOCS is now firmly on my "keeper" list for the season.

It's on my list as well now. Love that twin-tailed cat. And I can't wait to see how Arata is connected with that new black-haired Another. <3

So I've counted, and I'm watching 17 series this season (including the leftovers of Shield Hero and Dororo). Pretty light as far as I'm concerned (I'm used to 25+ shows per season), but I get sooo many return series and remakes this time around that I'm not upset. Just waiting on AoT to return and I'll be a very happy clam in the anime basket.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit bummed that Kitaro is being dropped as well, though I actually just started catching up on it after dropping it waaaay back in the beginning, and entirely based on the positive streaming reviews it was getting here on ANN. So while it's a bit of a bummer for me that it won't be reviewed, I also already benefited from the reviews personally, so I suppose the timing was better than it could have been if it were dropped even a couple weeks earlier.

I really appreciate all the reviewers' work on all the various shows, so while it stings to see one go that engaged me personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the Spring reviews! Actually I'm really looking forward to them, because so far this season really hasn't grabbed me yet. I'm not sure I'll be following anything (except Fruits Basket, which was instantly great even though I never watched the original) so far, but I've hardly had time to watch everything so maybe one of the 20 weekly reviews will help me find something I love once again!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, we'll sort out who's going to do MOCS at the end of the season

How about you two battle it out and the loser gets to do that end of season Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! review? Yeah I know, I suck at doing successful evil schemes :p
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
"will it be interesting or dynamic to read about on a weekly basis"?

That's the main reason I was a bit mystified about Senko-San making the cut. Isekai Quartet probably won't have any plot or character development to speak of, either, but that one presumably got a ton of votes because it's four established franchises in one package.

Obviously you wouldn't want to leave out extremely popular shows even if none of the writers care for them, but this often runs into the other problem I mentioned, where people vote for shows because they like them without considering whether the reviewer is likely to hate them. Chris Farris didn't cover Yu-No in the preview guide, but the five reviews it did get were all 2.5 or below, so the odds aren't looking great for that comment thread. Of course, the other angle on this is that a big segment of the anime fandom loves yelling at each other, so maybe this isn't actually a problem? (Though I'm also unsure how a harem visual novel as old as Pokemon is still popular enough to give its anime adaptation a boost. Really out of the loop on everything, it seems.)

Anyway, I'm really not trying to say ANN dropped the ball or anything, it's just disheartening to have another season where I apparently just don't get what those crazy kids are into these days, bah humbug, etc. Demon Slayer is growing on me a bit after episode 2, though, so maybe there's some hope yet.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
Everything I really cared about got picked up or is continuing, so that's good to see. I did expect Midnight occult to get picked up, as that's something that would've gotten picked up prior to the cutback, but I'm not actually watching that so I've got no skin in the game there.

JacobC wrote:
By contrast, One Piece and Boruto don't poll all that well (Black Clover and Fairy Tail do better), but the traffic for all of them is much higher. Boruto in particular has the most ridiculous gap between the ratio of people who vote for it versus the number of people who read it. So your average more-engaged ANN forums regular doesn't vote for Boruto, but tons of people who casually click on the site read those reviews.

This is pretty interesting. As someone who enjoys Black Clover and reading Sam's recaps (even if I generally enjoy it more than him), I always figured it was one of the least popular of the ongoing shonen shows. Pleasantly surprised to see it polls well and has good traffic.

Also surprised about One Piece, but I guess the voters don't engage as much as casual clicks. Being over 800 episodes might have something to do with it too. Still, I'm happy you guys are keeping it. Love One Piece and Sam's perspective.

Thanks for the perspective, and really looking forward to your Fruits Basket reviews.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:27 am Reply with quote
Here another Kitaro viewer/reader. It's a bit sad that the reviews won't continue, but understable. Keep on the good job, anyway.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
The "mediocre median" I guess I'll call it, the line where the greatest number of edge cases fall and you have to start splitting hairs, is always 17% for some reason.

I'm not so much a "stats freak", but I find this fascinating that it kept going to that point, and wonder why, and if there's some mathematical/stats explanation for its likelihood...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:
Damn, I wanted James to review YU-NO, though I guess he does need a break from bad anime after surviving Hand Shakers 2.

I thought you guys (I didn't vote this time) were going to force him to hate-watch AfTerLOsT. Maybe the crap show votes were divided this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
So I take it we're not getting any more reviews of Sarazanmai (last review was 5) and Fruits Basket (last was 7)? Neither are on the list now. Did I miss an announcement? What happened?
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So I take it we're not getting any more reviews of Sarazanmai (last review was 5) and Fruits Basket (last was 7)? Neither are on the list now. Did I miss an announcement? What happened?

Jacob wrote about the reason for the delay here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5