• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Boston Attendees Remember to BYOB: Bring Your Own Bags

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This is a rule I've been making sure to follow when I go to cons, even though there's no laws prohibiting plastic bags. I feel like I can hold more in reusable bags and there's less risk of them breaking or ripping compared to a plastic bag.

That said, for vendors and such that weren't entirely aware this law exists now, sucks that they may not be ready for the amount of attendees coming to the con and may not have their own bags.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
They give out bags?
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, plastic bag "bans" are only recent where I live. Man, not sure how I'd go if a con I attended would have this same situation, where vendors may not have bags. Would definitely stop me from buying some things. Mostly because, I don't go to cons with a plan for items I'm going to buy.

When I do grocery shopping, I know what I'm going to buy and have a rough idea of the bag/bags I'm going to need.

Example on how it'd impact me at a con, just a couple of weeks back I went to Supanova in Melbourne, and I wouldn't have bought the Yui Yuigahama (with Sable) figure I walked out of the con with. I had no idea that vendors were going to have it for sale, and I don't own a bag big enough either.

But, maybe that'd be a good thing...wouldn't have spent $160AUD on it (though, I don't regret having done so). Laughing
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else here old enough to remember when "plastic bags were a necessity, to save the forests"?

"I don't mind you [CENSORED]ing me; just don't lie to me like I'm Montel Williams."
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
When I was at Anime Japan 2019 three weeks ago, I always got plastic bags for every product I bought from various booths and fancy gift shopping bags for promotions. Japanese sure use use a LOT of plastic bags than States and yet they're always cleaner than the States even if there is no trash bins to nearby.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The way this new ordinance hit Anime Boston puts sellers in a rough spot. All the artists in Artist Alley have my sympathy.

On the bright side, I hope this encourages companies like Crunchyroll to give out huge reusable tote bags with anime art at cons again!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
On the bright side, I hope this encourages companies like Crunchyroll to give out huge reusable tote bags with anime art at cons again!
I actually got lucky and found one such of these bags at a local Goodwill (why someone would donate it was beyond me, but hey, I'm happy with it!). It's a wee bit cumbersome for someone like me (short and with some back/knee issues), but it's definitely huge and great for carrying around big things like figures and wall scrolls. I wouldn't mind seeing bags like these given out more often at cons, although I feel like it'd be something they would only attempt to do at bigger cons versus smaller/mid-size cons.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

When did they stop?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll didn't give out any oversized totes in 2018, as far as I know---they did give out small drawstring backpacks, which are pretty flimsy and not nearly as helpful at a con.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
What a load of bunk. I've run into this living around Boston. I am usually for enciromentalism and even progressive measures, but this just seems like a buncha pea-brained politicians flexing their muscles. I already often reuse bags or stick them in a messenger bag. This government overreach is nuts.

This just punishes small businesses and the consumer. Meanwhile, big companies like Target can afford thicker "reusable" plastic bags. So of course big business still makes out. It is the small companies like retailers at cons who suffer. Never mind the bs moral tax gets forwarded to the consumer.

Funny. At PAX East at the BCEC, I saw a number of retailers still with old plastic bags. Maybe they slipped thrpugh the cracks. Good for them.

Also, make sure you don't ask for a plastic straw. I hear they lock you up for up to five years for that in Boston now. (You know, even though we already were paying taxes for proper waste and recycling disposal. So I don't know why it is our fault it ends up in the sea. Not that America has much compared to the 90+% from China and India.)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Denys Lalande wrote:
Anyone else here old enough to remember when "plastic bags were a necessity, to save the forests"?

"I don't mind you [CENSORED]ing me; just don't lie to me like I'm Montel Williams."

Funny. Since paper is a renewable resource through proper forrestry. Plastic is not. We're digging up the remains of the long dead for fuel and materials. It's almost as if these yahoo polticians make constricting laws on a whim without proper thought on how it impacts thsir citizens or if they actually work.

This law stinks. I already often use my own bags. That is my choice. I didn't need a law to punish me for when I don't. Never mind that we were already paying these government yahoos taxes to properly dispose and recycle plastic. Now they want even more control and more blood from their whipping stones.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're missing a piece of the puzzle: the reason why plastic bans are becoming popular is because it's one of the few ordinances a *local* government can reasonably pass and enforce. I would love to see bigger impact environmental laws that target manufacturers and other big corporations, but most of them would require passing complicated laws on a federal level---a near impossible task due to the current political situation. Plastic bag and straw bans can be more limited in scope and easier to pass on a local level.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Give this came into effect rather recently

Agent355 wrote:
Crunchyroll didn't give out any oversized totes in 2018, as far as I know---they did give out small drawstring backpacks, which are pretty flimsy and not nearly as helpful at a con.

They did for 2018 similarly, it was those giant backpack bags (which were quite fragile if not set up right, adjusting straps and whatnots), and they were for premium members. Though this year they are going to be drawstring bags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1