• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rating episodes yields automatic "Seen Some" listing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
With the start of this season, any episode that I give a rating for on its review page (weekly or Preview Guide) causes it to be automatically listed in my "Seen Some" list, triggering all the rating options to appear on its Encyclopedia page (have you seen it yet? want to rate it? etc.).

Is this intentional? I can't really explain why, other than the visual clutter it causes on the Enc. page, but it's really annoying. I guess another reason is that it adds the little tv screen next to the title on the alphabetical list, which makes me think I've already rated the series. Sometimes when looking for a series, I'll notice one I've seen that I've forgotten to rate when it was complete, and that little marker will make me miss those. So please make it stop doing that. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's intentional.

I'll put making an option to disable it on the "to-do" list. (Fixes to new features are usually a priority on the to-do list).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Okies, thanks. I always appreciate being able to opt out.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Go to Encyclopedia > Personal settings
and remove the checkbox for "Display icons next to titles you have seen/read (in MyAnime)"

Is that good enough?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I like having those there because they remind me I've rated them. Smile The problem is being fooled into thinking I've given a final rating on a series I've seen by an icon appearing when it's automatic for Seen Some.

It might just be something way too complicated to fix for what it's worth, so don't worry about it. I'll adjust. Thanks for trying!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
The icons are different depending on which category the title is in. The "seen some" icons are half white so you should be able to tell that they don't have a final rating. But it's true that at a glance it doesn't jump in your face.

What about having different options for e.g.
[x] Display icon next to titles in Want to see
[x] Display icon next to titles in Seen some
[x] Display icon next to titles in Seen all
[x] Display icon next to titles in Will not finish
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I think that would work. Without zooming in, I can't see the details of the icons well enough to tell the difference, so I didn't know there was one. Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti
Have you considered creating a category in your "My Anime / My Manga"? I've created a number of categories to help me keep track of what I have and have not completed.....
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
That exists by default, doesn't it? I don't recall ever specifically setting it up, but I have all the categories of Want to See, Seen All, Seen Some, Won't Finish.

But even if I had to set it up and did, it doesn't solve my problem of forgetting to add series to the various lists as I finish them. Embarassed Also, I watched a lot of anime before I even signed up here, so I have a lot of series I've seen but haven't marked or rated - unless I spend awhile going though, e.g., all the "J" titles and seeing what I still need to check off (which I do from time to time - I added at least a dozen old series just last week, but I still have more than half the alphabet to skim through). Which is why the icons on the alphabetical lists mattered to me in the first place. Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti

It's a bit tiresome, but you can manually remove titles from "Seen Some" (and all of the others, as well).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I know, I've been doing that periodically already. Smile

See, here's the thing. I have no idea what sorts of tweaks are simple to do and what ones are huge headaches. If it's as simple as turning off a switch and doesn't create a cascade of new glitches, great, but if it's rewriting half the software, then I don't want anyone to go to that trouble for petty, personal annoyances. But since I don't know which tweaks are which, I just say what's bugging me and ask if it can be fixed so it stops bugging me. If it can't, or it's a big deal to fix, then I just get used to it, even if the workaround is tedious. Smile As long as it's not a major, site-breaking bug or change.

tl;dr: I just ask for what I want. "No can do" is usually a perfectly acceptable answer. (but I still want the polls back for The List! Razz)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But since I don't know which tweaks are which, I just say what's bugging me and ask if it can be fixed so it stops bugging me.

This is a very good attitude to take. Often I hear about a problem that's been inconveniencing someone for years and I think "why didn't you tell me earlier? it was a 5-minute fix"
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Thanks! Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
New question! While clearing out the Seen Some list, 5 titles popped up with "There is a comment" and the notification that those comments would be lost if I removed the titles from the list. What kind of comment? By me? By someone else? I know I've commented on more than 5 of these series. "There is a comment" isn't a link, so I'm deadended on following it up. If it's talking about forum comments, is it saying they'll be deleted? Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2