• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Michael Arias interview

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
So you're an Otomo fan, Mike? Any chance you've checked out Legend of Mother Sarah? I think it'd be a good follow-up for you. Oh, and how the hell do you survive being jobless in Japan?! I understand if you were born there, and you might have family, but I'm from L.A., and the standard of living is a pain here for most people who are working! Did your kids see the film yet? Oh, and by "cynical productions", you're alluding to 'Geisha, right? Rolling Eyes

On an unrelated note, you said you grew up in L.A., but are you originally from Connecticut or New Jersey? [I'm asking, cus of your accent.] And was it the riots which caused you to leave? [You seemed to have moved to Japan around the same time, so I was wondering. ] I personally feel the social unrest of that time was closer to the feel of the TK manga than the AUM attacks, which is why I'm hoping you were able to channel it into the final product.

Justin: I'm surprised he let you do the interview after your review of the film. Maybe he considers it a learning experience.

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
That was SOOOOOOOO boring.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote
Hiro: They're taking time out of their schedule. The least you can do is show some respect.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
That was SOOOOOOOO boring.

Sorry, I'll refund the money you paid to watch it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote
So only people who thought it was good can have a say in this forum? I really thought the interveiw was boring. It's my right to think and say that. I did not insult anyone, nor did I make fun of the effort used for it. I don't see a problem
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
So only people who thought it was good can have a say in this forum? I really thought the interveiw was boring. It's my right to think and say that. I did not insult anyone, nor did I make fun of the effort used for it. I don't see a problem

It's probably best not to post if you're criticism is simply, "It was boring." This isn't YouTube. If you're going to participate in a forum discussion about it, try expanding on your impression of it. Otherwise, there's no reason to waste your time typing something you can just utter to yourself.

Anyway, I haven't seen Tekkon Kinkreet yet, but the clips in the interview piqued my interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
I know it was an interview, but it was more like a monologue. Obviously the questions by the interviewer were cut & that gave it a choppy feel. Justin, I know if you included some or all of the questions, it would balloon from a 20-21 minute interview to 30 or 40 minutes. If people thought 20 minutes was boring... Rolling Eyes
I like the incorporation of the movie clips to have the interview relate to the movie & vice versa. It was an OK interview, but a coup that you got time with Mr. Arias.
Good start & we'll probably see more interviews like this in the future... hopefully. Again, I'd like to see a little more give & take between interviewer & interviewee, but not if it drags out the video to over 30 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd like to see the interviewer have a presence in the future. Still, it was cool finding out Michael Arias' humble beginnings!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

What, I'm not allowed to respond to what you say? Only people who agree with you can respond to you, otherwise it's some kind of attempt to violate your first amendment right to complain on the internet?
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It was informative and a good first attempt. A good alternative to showing the entire interview questions (or omitting them completely) would be to show them in text form as they are being answered. Not that it's a perfect solution but it would be time efficient.
I should also note that when I logged on to ANN, I was a bit surprised to find a banner patronizing Ann Coulter. Hats off ANN, you have brought much humor to my day.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
a little nitpick, but hte camera seemed jumpy at times. and for me, that catches my eye and can distract me from the video
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Some may have thought it was boring, which I understand. But I thought it was neat that they choose to leave the interview in a very uncut state, except for the questions. Most interviews cut so much from the interviews to make time short and cut ramblings. Thing is, some really good insight can sometimes be gained from such ramblings and you get a much more personal side to the reasons behind the things that came out the way they did. You just don't get that on TV, and frankly even online, at least most of the time. So for me, at least it seemed like some good insight. And from my personal standpoint it is better to be too long than to be too short.

*Remembers long ago when I had to do speeches in collage, yes I know that is different from broadcasts, but still "the better to be long and cover everything you need to, than be short and miss something" mentality still lingers.*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ANN should really consider creating an embed option for their videos, or uploading mirror versions to some video sharing website (like YouTube, or Revver if you want to make some profit off it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
flip
Protoculture Addicts Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
I know it was an interview, but it was more like a monologue. Obviously the questions by the interviewer were cut & that gave it a choppy feel. Justin, I know if you included some or all of the questions, it would balloon from a 20-21 minute interview to 30 or 40 minutes. If people thought 20 minutes was boring... Rolling Eyes

I agree that it would have been better to have the questions. Japanese interviews usually put the questions as a subtitle for the first 15-30 seconds of the answer. That could be an option to avoid adding extra time to the interview.

It was a great interview. It feels boring because Mr. Aria is not a lively person when he speaks. It was the same when I talked with him when he came to Montreal to introduce the movie at Fantasia last summer.

I hope we'll see more interviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was good without the questions and I liked the fact that we get to look at what makes this manga and the film worth reading/seeing to Michael Arias. I would have liked the interview to be a little more personal about what exactly Tekkon Kinkreet means to him as a person but hey, this is a news interview not a personal conversation. I felt like the camera felt somewhat random and jumpy, not in a bad way but it felt odd in some places and well placed in others. I think it would be better if you just took 4 or 5 cameras and shot the interview from 4 or 5 different viewpoints so that instead of jumping to different viewpoints almost constantly you would just shift the point of view occasionally and to fewer points of view. This certainly makes me want to read the manga and see the film so the interview must have been pretty well done. Zac what did you think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2