• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Isekai Quartet

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed they haven't explained how Re:Zero got roped into all this. Everyone else was pitch-perfect, so who among those five pressed the button?

I'm also surprised Ains and Tanya just took a mysterious supernatural force implying to have absolute control over their well-beings without needing a demonstration. Even accounting for a wait-and-see approach, they just sort of go along with it.

Otherwise, everyone is so perfectly in character to the point it hurts. I can't stop laughing at how surreal this is.
bennyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba is already an isekai parody. So now it's a parody within a parody, and by inception rules, that means each episode is really 150 minutes long.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I only watched first episode and it was boring as hell. Hope it gets better
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved it
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This was far more entertaining than I thought, I had a feeling that aqua being an idiot with no sense of self-preservation would challenge the equivalent of an isekai's 'final boss' that is Ainz/Momonga. Even so I certainly wasn't expecting it to actually work, I'm so accustomed to 'overlord' rules of Ainz curb stomping everything that aqua's spell working so effectively caught me by complete surprise (although in hindsight it really shouldn't have, this was the same deal with that Dulhan and she IS a god even if she's Aqua).
I think I'm going to have alot of fun watching this series, as mentioned in the review really the only downside is its limited runtime.
It's also a shame that some of the potential of this series will be lost on people not familiar will all the series.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Even though I've only seen two out of the four shoes represented (Overlord and Tanya the Evil) I've seen enough clips of Konosuba and Re:Zero to know how the characters should act, and this show hits it out of the park. Aside from Aqua challenging Ainz, my favorite part in the episode was everyone introducing themselves. The Re:Zero cast introducing themselves and doing friendly banter with Subaru, Tanya and her men doing military roll call, The Overlord cast being all theatrical (complete with thirsty Albedo), and my personal favorite; Kazuma introducing his party to keep them from embarrassing themselves (only for them to do it anyway).

I honestly can't wait to hear this dubbed, hopefully Funi was able to get the casts for RZ and Konosuba (though if they couldn't I doubt they would have made this a simuldub).
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I was amused by the first episode, but the show had me hooked by the second. I can't wait for more, easily one of the highlights of an otherwise lukewarm season.

Quote:
Based on Subaru and the girls' conversations in episode one, Isekai Quartet can be assumed to happen after the events of the Re:Zero TV anime.

I won't elaborate on why, because Season 2 will make it clear, but this is just about impossible. It's far more likely to take place during the month-long period between the 2nd and 3rd arcs.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all the series except for Tanya, but it doesn't look like that is going to hinder my enjoyment. Great premier so far with the second episode being much better than the first imo.

I can't help but wonder where they were all heading home to after school considering they just popped in on the school grounds...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I was amused by the first episode, but the show had me hooked by the second. I can't wait for more, easily one of the highlights of an otherwise lukewarm season.

Quote:
Based on Subaru and the girls' conversations in episode one, Isekai Quartet can be assumed to happen after the events of the Re:Zero TV anime.

I won't elaborate on why, because Season 2 will make it clear, but this is just about impossible. It's far more likely to take place during the month-long period between the 2nd and 3rd arcs.

Ah that, you are correct.
I am still expecting them to do the same thing steins gate did and while tdoing a tv re-run, change the ending of the last episode for that. though in rezero's case nothign neeeds to be changed , they only need to add one scene.
Mavado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Found a translation of the ending song online:

Quote:
Emilia: Hey um, there is something I'd like to try doing with everyone!
Albedo: What would that be?
Emilia: I was thinking I'd like to have a chat with everyone, while drinking tea and the like.
Aqua: Oh that's like a girls party right?
Tanya: I don't know if it would be a "girls party" with this quirky line-up, but..
Albedo: Alright. Let's do this "girls party".
Tanya: Well then I will prepare some of my best chocolate.
Aqua: Awesome! That's something to look forward to!
Emilia: By the way..
Everyone else: Hmm?
Emilia: What's a "girls party"?

[Song starts]

Tanya: There is too much information we don't understand-
Aqua: -But even if we don't know we'll pretend like we do.
Albedo: Lacking experience, but won't let anyone figure that out.
Emilia: Increasing our girlpower from Re:Zero.
Tanya: The half-elf, demon, young girl, and goddess are all lacking experience!
Aqua: A deadlock where were we can't be figured out, or read the other.
Emilia: Feeling extremely stressed-
Albedo: -but it's unexpectedly working out.
Everyone: Let's just accept that we're in another world, and have fun with that!
Everyone: Things like world peace and the future of our nations don't matter to us right now!
Everyone: As long as there are tasty snacks here we can at least enjoy ourselves with that.
Everyone: While talking about this and that and love, we'll be stuck in the middle of our girls talk for now.
Everyone: Time spent like this isn't half bad. It's okay to do this now and then we guess.
Everyone: Ok then, see you next week. Bye bye!
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like Funimation pretty much got everyone to return for their simuldub, so far. Good on them, and how fortunate every series got dubbed before this aired.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
It was better than I expected but it still feelings like the school setting is holding back the show. Specially for the Overlord cast, since they're so intense this setting just forces them to act wholly out of character while still sticking out like a sore thumb (it was probably not the best series to pick to put on the same side and level as the other ones).

BTW something to clarify that i noticed in the review - it's not that Ainz (and Shalltear) took damage because they're more vulnerable in this world, it's because they were attacked by Aqua who is a literal goddess, which is far above anything that Nazarick has fought so far in their series. Just a reminderabout who she is and how wasted her powers are on her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
And the OP lyrics:

What makes the world interesting?
We, We, We, We,
We, ourselves do.
This wonderful invitation
There's no difference between being adults
Or being little girls.
Another dungeon of love starting from zero.
A new world that seems so tough it may break bones.
What is that?
What is this?
Before you complain, it can't be helped,
We have to do it to survive!
Get through the battle by analyzing the situation.
But it's an unusual situation
So you don't even have time for that.
"My name is Natsuki Subaru!
"Sentenced to immortality and I'm also completely broke!"
"Major Tanya von Degrechav is who I am."
"I am the great Ainz Ooal Gown!"
"Hi, I'm Kazuma. ...Eh? I'm supposed to sound cool here?"
I wanna go home.
Don't go home.
I wanna start over.
I can't start over. Ahhh.
But the different world is a nice world.
Whoever visits is always welcomed.
It depends on how you see.
It's a paradise no matter where you are.
What makes the world interesting?
We, We, We, We,
We, ourselves do.
Oh, Isekai Quartet x3
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
It was better than I expected but it still feelings like the school setting is holding back the show. Specially for the Overlord cast, since they're so intense this setting just forces them to act wholly out of character while still sticking out like a sore thumb (it was probably not the best series to pick to put on the same side and level as the other ones).

BTW something to clarify that i noticed in the review - it's not that Ainz (and Shalltear) took damage because they're more vulnerable in this world, it's because they were attacked by Aqua who is a literal goddess, which is far above anything that Nazarick has fought so far in their series. Just a reminderabout who she is and how wasted her powers are on her.

I also imagine that Aqua's tendency to make boneheaded decisions might throw off Ainz's plans, since he is likely going to presume whoever he is fighting is competent, yet much less powerful. Aqua being the opposite in both ways should throw him for a loop.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
It's not too surprising to see Albedo and Rem clasping hands, largely because Rem's not human and thus not subject to Nazarick's prejudice. I'm actually curious if the anti-human sentiment will be remembered in future episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6