• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Two steps forward, one step back... kinda mixed feelings about episode 3. The training montage was more entertaining than I would have expected, with Tanjiro and Sakonji playing off each other in various silly ways; but the second half, where it tried to get serious, didn't work for me at all. The classic "master gives student seemingly impossible task" ploy, and it turns out the solution to the puzzle is... become more faster than some guy who eventually appears out of nowhere, and is probably a ghost or something?

With all that yelling about how a Real Man is, like, super duper strong and never lets his emotions show under any circumstances, I'm guessing him and his sister(?) are the gods of traditional gender roles. Tanjiro and Nezuko are both much more nuanced and non-sterotypical, but this made me concerned that that setup isn't going to last. Especially since Nezuko was conveniently in a coma for two years. But at least they crammed that whole time period into just one episode. It sounds like we're going to go straight on to the tournament arc with no further ado, so that's a nice surprise. Ridiculously slow pacing is my main issue with most shonen series.

And have I mentioned that I hate when anime does "show and tell" by giving us a perfectly good organic demonstration of something about the world/characters, only to throw in a bunch of direct exposition later to tell us the exact same thing? It's almost more annoying than going straight for the exposition. Almost.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The classic "master gives student seemingly impossible task" ploy, and it turns out the solution to the puzzle is... become more faster than some guy who eventually appears out of nowhere, and is probably a ghost or something?
This is especially disappointing after they showed the hatchet trick in the first episode. I thought they were setting him up to be some kind of clever thinker or something, but no, "get strong and fast" is the solution.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
The classic "master gives student seemingly impossible task" ploy, and it turns out the solution to the puzzle is... become more faster than some guy who eventually appears out of nowhere, and is probably a ghost or something?
This is especially disappointing after they showed the hatchet trick in the first episode. I thought they were setting him up to be some kind of clever thinker or something, but no, "get strong and fast" is the solution.

That’s cause the training is to raise his physical stats to the minimum required to be a Demon Hunter.

You start getting clever once actually start fighting living creatures.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
the plot was kind of interesting and i didn't want to wait 6 months for the anime to be over so i jumped into the manga.... but it's just kind of meh.

30 chapters in and it doesn't feel like its going anywhere, and the newly introduced side characters are rather annoying.

the art style also seems really dated for a series that is only a few years old.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah episode 3 doesn't bode well for the show's future, it felt like they couldn't wait to get rid of literally everything that made the show unique. Main character fighting with cleverness and acute smell, discarded unceremoniously. Sister demon, whatever she just feel asleep cause she wasn't needed for this part of the story. Didn't even bother trying to come up with an interesting B story for her to do, just sleep for no reason. Is the what's going to happen every time an event is going to happen where she's not needed?

Maybe if all that was tossed aside for something really interesting... but no, just the most basic training montage ever. He didn't even learn some cool technique or something just "Oh hey BTW you can become way stronger by just like... breathing really well, man". If the goal was to get an explanation for why he's suddenly become stronger, they could have just have him like drink special demon blood potion or something and get it done in 1 minutes (throw in that the blood he drink is his sister and that 1 minute vignette would have literally more use out of the sister than the actual episode).
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah episode 3 doesn't bode well for the show's future, it felt like they couldn't wait to get rid of literally everything that made the show unique. Main character fighting with cleverness and acute smell, discarded unceremoniously. Sister demon, whatever she just feel asleep cause she wasn't needed for this part of the story. Didn't even bother trying to come up with an interesting B story for her to do, just sleep for no reason. Is the what's going to happen every time an event is going to happen where she's not needed?

Maybe if all that was tossed aside for something really interesting... but no, just the most basic training montage ever. He didn't even learn some cool technique or something just "Oh hey BTW you can become way stronger by just like... breathing really well, man". If the goal was to get an explanation for why he's suddenly become stronger, they could have just have him like drink special demon blood potion or something and get it done in 1 minutes (throw in that the blood he drink is his sister and that 1 minute vignette would have literally more use out of the sister than the actual episode).

Oh yes because one simple training episode completely spells the downfall of an entire show.

I’d laugh but that’s just not funny.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
Most of people's complaints about the training disregarding Tanjiro being a quick thinker or relying on his sense of smell are immediately addressed in literally the next episode.
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode. It didn't bother with the 10 episode long training montage, has already done its time-skip, and turned a charcoal maker into a swordsman; and on a time scale that makes sense.

I'm honestly baffled at people suddenly complaining. Cleverness will only get you so far against what are essentially vampires. Maybe y'all might want to rein in your impatience a bit. This is a 26 episode series of an on-going anime. Are you really that eager for filler?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely with James in being bowled over by episode 4, and for basically the same reasons. With AoT's return also hitting a home run, this has been a pretty damn fine weekend for shonen action titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The creepy girls reminded me of more mature versions of the twin Zashiki Warashi from Hoozuki no Reitetsu.

Great episode. I am so loving the woodcut-water device for his sword strokes. It's just a brilliant idea and so beautiful.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Not up to date with the manga, but the author does have notes about the creepy girls in the extras of some the volumes.

spoiler[The extras for volume 1 she asks if you can guess which one of the them is the boy. The extras for volume 6 she shows which one is the boy, as well as how many creepy girls there are.]
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
If this was a lesser studio that fight would have been speed lines, still frames and minimum animation for everything else but the final blow. Ufotable has really brought out the full potential for this series and I'm excited to see more.
Full stars.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Did the writer just learn the word "pathos"? Ha. Kinda rude to call Urokodaki by his first name, especially when literally no one does so in the show. Definitely a 5/5 episode but I hope the quality remains like this. I hope this wasn't the peak.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
While this show is still enjoyable to me, it's going more into the territory of "your opponent for today... is me!" than I would have wanted from it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Amazing episode. My only complaint would be that the intro spoiled the water effect which I feel would have been even more impactful if it had premiered in this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20