• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
Why folks keep referring to Dororo as a he at this point of the story....
This episode (and there are other points in the show) shows how embarrassed she gets if a adult male sees her nude- the same as in the source material.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
So if I am correct they have defeated 6 of the 12 demons so far? In exchange for; skin, nerves system, leg, hearing, tongue and nose. So it would see the upcoming episodes will be about fighting the remaining demons, but where does that leave time for them to go looking for the location marked on the map. I hope this does not get rushed near the end.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hello reviewer do you watch what you review? Pay attention at all to the story or episodes? Look for details? I think NOT you clearly missed when Dororo was Sick it was STATED clearly Dororo is Female in this anime! Clear as DAY Stated in the Anime! Dororo is a Female in this anime making this current review where you use HE over and over again Wrong! Go back watch the FULL episode and notice where Dororo is stated to be Female you can find it in the episode where she fell very ill! Please correct your review after viewing this scene and understanding your clear mistake!
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's interesting that this episode of Dororo isn't marked as a two-parter when it clearly ends without a resolution.

It seems both the 2-parter episodes are titled differently.
However they are still adapting the Sabame arc of Tezuka's manga.

Sabame’s name, 鯖目, literally translates as “mackerel eye”. You could say the demon lady landed herself a big fish. Razz
Diana Clark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
Confused The segment in episode 3 where they showed the infant Hyakkimaru desperately breathing absolutely destroyed my heart.
Neromon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Completely agree with the reviewer, episode 15 was ugly and the editing was atrocious. A real shame since in the hands of a better director this could have been one of the most compelling episodes yet.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This weeks animation also had an impression on me, though a very different one from Lauren's. It was more, hmm the character models are a lot less detailed on wide shots. I suppose while one mans bad animation is another mans artistic style. I will argue that things like this are at least interesting points about thinks that you can only do with traditional animation.

There is one complaint I have about both this episode and the last, and that's pacing. The last one ended at what at first seemed like the ad break, covering very little ground. This weeks episode packed in a ton of content, some of which could have been in last weeks episode.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
The production is falling apart not only in narrative, now also in animation, it seems that they only had money for 12 ep... Today's EP had very serious faults and at the level of involuntary joke, although I did not find it funny Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@Norm the genius
Did you not read the review? As stated this particular episode had the same director who did the infamous episode 4 of Gurren Lagann. They are not running out of money, this episode looks the way it does because that's how the director of this episodes does things, not because of production failings.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
My thought process was "Hmm, why am I reminded of the Guren Laga-OH DEAR GOD, IT'S THE SAME GUY!?" Talk about having a niche. Anyway, the animation is really ugly and detracts from the episode, which is a shame because this is a thematically interesting story. Sabame is essentially a microcosm of Daigo in that he made a deal with demons in a moment of weakness, creating a peace that was borne of the sacrifice of others. However, because of that reliance on preying on others it was never going to last. This is a possible preview of what will happen when Daigo's deal with the demons collapses and he's forced to bear the weight of his own machinations.

And we end on Itachi finally showing up. I sincerely hope his end is humiliating
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@Norm the genius
Did you not read the review? As stated this particular episode had the same director who did the infamous episode 4 of Gurren Lagann. They are not running out of money, this episode looks the way it does because that's how the director of this episodes does things, not because of production failings.

then it is much worse than I thought a good opportunity has been wasted.
klokei07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Why folks keep referring to Dororo as a he at this point of the story....
This episode (and there are other points in the show) shows how embarrassed she gets if a adult male sees her nude- the same as in the source material.

maybe you should read the manga again cause that's not what happens, like at all.

In the manga, is repeatedly addressed that even when men find out about Dororo's secret he still sees himself as a boy. I don't think Tezuka was using the character to give a big statement about gender, but it's at the very least very clear that throughout the manga Dororo never refers to his identity as a "she." The anime is little bit more normative in that respect in that Dororo is terrified of people finding out, meaning that she is just pretending to be a "boyº" to protect her safety and status in a crumbling harsh society. However, so far the show hasn't been explicit about how Dororo understands her identity, so right now it could still go either way and the reviewer is not necessarily wrong when using the pronoun "he" (I'm on the side that believes that anime Dororo should be referred to as a "she," but I'll just wait to see that happens in the next episodes)

It's a shame that Osamu Kobayashi's legacy will be forever tainted by that messy episode of Gurren Lagann. He has had a very long and interesting career with some great shows and individual episodes in his resume like Beck. Yes, he has a very idiosyncratic style that's not for everyone, but I really liked how this episode was directed. The vistas and open shots make a good contrast with how flat and boring the show has been the last few episodes.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 15's twist that Sabame and the villagers are open accomplices with the moth demons is anime-original, as is the village's destruction.

Tezuka’s original story was more black and white – spoiler[the moths were the evil, manipulative demons who’d bewitched Sabame into doing their bidding.

Dororo and Hyakkimaru rally the innocent villagers against the demons and successfully slay them. Sabame is thankful to the duo for releasing him of demon control, but the villagers are less grateful after finding out about Hyakkimaru’s prosthetics and chase him away, thinking that he’s a demon too.
]
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
However, so far the show hasn't been explicit about how Dororo understands her identity, so right now it could still go either way

Dororo is extremely shy in the onsen with Hyakkimaru and keeps her back turned to him until submerged. She showed this same shyness in an earlier scene whose details I cannot remember now. I think Dororo knows she's female but is trying to hide that fact to survive. The two kids who came with the priest have no problem exposing themselves to the people in the pool. I suspect the contrast between them and Dororo was intentional.

Last edited by yuna49 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Guys, there’s honestly a ton wrong with episode 15 beyond it’s questionable style and downright garbage scene editing.

Hyakkimaru hasn’t had a FREAKING SPINE? This whole time he’s been doing super-human feats of athleticism without a freaking functioning nervous system? I can only suspend my disbelief so much.

Dororo’s point about them being partially responsible is laughable. They brought it on themselves for siding with an evil moth monster that combusts into fire for no reason upon crashing.

Dororo’s split up at the end felt rushed and dumb. The reasoning wasn’t nearly solid enough, and she just meets Itachi who happens to have THE map that was supposed to be a secret 2 seconds later? Lazy.

The moth lady was irrelevant and so was the old woman spirit. The plot was half baked.

Hyakkimaru got a multi-day time skip to get a flamethrower leg randomly to one shot the demon.

The episode was honestly horrible. It’s a good thing the rest of the series has been great and we have at least an idea of what made this episode go ridiculously south
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13