• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Punch Man Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Well the second season was announced ages ago, so it didn't have to air right after Boogiepop. They could've waited until Shingo was available

Most likely answer is they didn't want to - it's already been nearly 4 years since season came out, and production committee members probably were antsy to get a new installment out the door, rather than waiting even longer for Natsume et al's schedules to open up. Obviously we don't know the exact details, but I'm willing to bet somewhere the decision was made that OPM as an IP was strong enough to still make bank without the lavish animation, so they went ahead without giving it a healthy production schedule.

Quote:
And while changing the director surely changes the animation team, I had a feel in the first season people were flocking to it as a passion project, given statements that they didn't have more time or more money to spend on it. What changed?

TV anime's in a big production bubble right now - has been for a couple of years at least - and a lot of animators and other creatives just don't have the time to move from project to project because they'e busy working on the 3 different shows the studio they're freelancing for has already taken on.
pip25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by episode 3, both in terms of direction and animation. A huge improvement compared to the previous two, in my opinion. I hope they can keep this up. Smile
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
Unpopular opinion: I like both episodes and I am tired of fans and their high horses and their "See? Talking heads! Sub-par animation! OMG THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST THING EVER!".
If you don't like it, don't watch it. Viewing figures will drop and producers wonder what happened. Meanwhile, it's so hard to expect people talking about the current series and not what could have been?
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
I get that it's not as good as the first season but this was still great.

How can you rate episode 3 2.5 stars? Are you crazy?

There was some good animation and art. Stop comparing it to previous episodes. That's not what a review is supposed to be
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Unpopular opinion: I like both episodes and I am tired of fans and their high horses and their "See? Talking heads! Sub-par animation! OMG THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST THING EVER!".
If you don't like it, don't watch it. Viewing figures will drop and producers wonder what happened. Meanwhile, it's so hard to expect people talking about the current series and not what could have been?

Spoken like an intelligent man. I feel the same way.

Rating it 2.5 because the animation is not "as good" as the first season is a joke
Cab329

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
It’s getting better. There’s still some odd choices (opening scene was like a brown filter had been laid over everything, some straight up bad parts (Genos’s hand) but it is improving.

The only issue that’s really bugging me is the impact of attacks. None of the attacks feel like they are connecting. We see the outcome of the attack and the lead up to it but it doesn’t “feel” like the blows are connecting.

One example Is the Garou fight. When he uses martial arts on the crowd of heroes it’s supposed to be that he’s hitting them so fast and hard that it takes a second for the full impact to hit them (like a less lethal Hokuto no Ken) but the way it cuts between the attacks “exploding” and the remaining heroes makes it look like he didn’t hit any of them.

I do love Garou though since he’s a brutal fighter who almost has a Zenkai boost ability...but is still a huge dork.

I’ll be interested to see the tournament arc since it has a some great character moments for minor characters in the manga...but also kind of drags and the only thing that makes up for it is the awesome fights towards the end. If the show can keep improving it should be good.
SAG4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
This episode 3 was very good compared to the previous two, really managed to deliver good action scenes. But I think they were lucky because they were short scenes, so they managed to deliver something well done. Unlike previous episodes, that required a lot more choreography in the fight. Which is no excuse, because even Fubuki's attacks got really bad.
Let's see how they do in the next episode. I have my doubts, but I think they will be able to deliver something relatively good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not particularly picky about animation, as long as there is some (lookin' at you, Piano no Mori) and it's not terribly off model (last half of Trickster). I can recognize amazing animation, but lacking that, it's not a problem for me. So I'm mostly good with this season.

I don't like King at all though, not his design, voice, or backstory, and I'm afraid he's going to start taking up more of the story soon. Garou is fine, except that he looks too much like Silver Fang in silhouette, so I keep thinking he's arrived, and nope, just Garou. The violence and bloodshed shown should've killed Mumen Rider, but I'm relieved that was just shounen hyperbole. And I'm still not tired of One Punch Man's one punch line. Since I don't expect the tournament to last half the season, I'm looking forward to how that plays out, which I don't think I've ever said about a tournament arc before.

The end of season one hinted at darker goings on behind the shiny facade of the Hero Association, so I hope they'll follow up more on that plotline.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, will they fix the ghosting effects and the CG metal on Blu-ray? That'd be neat
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Suppose I'm another in the minority of the animation is fine. As good as season one? No. Terrible animation? Also no. Still a show that's a lot of fun to watch and pretty standard animation quality. Some cool effects being used and cool angles during the fights. Fun balance of random Saitama close ups. I love Garou so looking forward to more of his arc.

Quote:
I don't like King at all though, not his design, voice, or backstory, and I'm afraid he's going to start taking up more of the story soon.

As far as I can remember, he doesn't take up a lot of story. I mean, he doesn't really do much in general and I think it's about the same amount as he's already doing. Garou takes up much more of the story. At least according to the manga.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
So the new review is... "the story is this, Saitama is that... but the animation is horrible, so 2.5/5" That's a joke.

Maybe next time we can hope for a review that take the series for what it does and not what it should have done? Rolling Eyes

As for me, the story seems to be moving slowly towards to bigger battles. Saitama has a limited role in this because, well, he'd be ending everything in one single punch.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 did it for me. I didn't really enjoy the first season that much to begin with, so the visual downgrade just made me lose any interest. Garou is fine, but I watched Gridman just last year and Akane is a lot better. ONE has interesting points to make with the hero association and even Mumen Rider, but it's all bogged down in a very uninteresting story.

I'm interested in both of the mangas, one just to look at the pretty art and the other to see if the comedy actually hits for me if it looks like crap. I love Mob but OPM is unfortunately not my cup of tea.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's especially hard not to root for him after everything we keep learning about the Hero Association

Remember kid, when you see people who are willingly working in a system you disagree with, murdering them is totally justifiable! Rolling Eyes

If that's really what were suppose to get out of this situation, the degradation in animation quality is the least of the show problem.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Remember kid, when you see people who are willingly working in a system you disagree with, murdering them is totally justifiable! Rolling Eyes

For the record, Garou has killed 0 people so far. He's beaten the snot out of plenty of people, but his goal is to hype his own name up by beating as many strong heroes as possible.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

For the record, Garou has killed 0 people so far. He's beaten the snot out of plenty of people, but his goal is to hype his own name up by beating as many strong heroes as possible.

Pretty sure he killed all the people in the room when he was first introduced, at least he cut the arms of one guys...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7