• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sarazanmai Anime's Pitch Did Not Mention Butts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Perfectly normal title for a news article.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Now I’m deeply curious to know how many bold ideas he snuck past a committee for his shows; I’m at least aware that Anthy and Utena being a couple was kept on the downlow, but now I wonder if that was also true for things like the not so subtle flower licking scenes or the inclusion of the Sarin gas attack.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Now I’m deeply curious to know how many bold ideas he snuck past a committee for his shows; I’m at least aware that Anthy and Utena being a couple was kept on the downlow, but now I wonder if that was also true for things like the not so subtle flower licking scenes or the inclusion of the Sarin gas attack.

It wasn't so much that it was on the down low, but Utenas co creator flat out refused the Utena/Anty relationship at all. (She has changed her stance on it through the years though)
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's hard to imagine what the anime would be like without those raucous musical segments every episode.
At first İ somehow read that as "without those mucous segments", which is... still kind of fitting, I guess? Very Happy
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
He really is a master of sneaking in subversive elements. Has been since his Sailor Moon days. (See what was written as one of the questions on Usagi's English test are about a Mr. Ikuhara picking up a "new-half.") That is one of the many reasons I adored him.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm interested. But I trust Ikuhara has got something creative going on.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Given that he fibbed about Utena's premise to get financers on board back in the day, this really doesn't surprise me! Honestly, at this point, I'm more shocked that anyone expects Ikuhara to be telling the whole truth when he pitches a show...
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm curious about if he fails pitches a lot, and that's the real reason for the large gap between his series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I love you, you beautiful bastard. Very Happy
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Given that he fibbed about Utena's premise to get financers on board back in the day, this really doesn't surprise me! Honestly, at this point, I'm more shocked that anyone expects Ikuhara to be telling the whole truth when he pitches a show...

Possibly they do want to see what out there thing he's going to pull, and more-or-less trust that it's going to be interesting and not too far over the line, but for the purposes of deniability take him at face value when he does the pitch and approve the show.
The Article wrote:
Ikuhara also mentioned with a laugh that he was surprised that nobody in the staff stopped him. "Even as I was telling people, 'This is how we're doing this,' I was thinking, 'Okay, somebody is definitely going to call me out on this.' But nobody did."

I like to think that the staff were all thinking to themselves "what the actual hell?! ...but I want to see where he's going with this".
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Now I'm curious about if he fails pitches a lot, and that's the real reason for the large gap between his series.

What Ikuhara has in eccentricity he lacks in marketing. Mawaru Penguindrum was a modest success but Yurikuma Arashi was a total flop.
mastix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Ahahahahaha. This man has always been a hero to me. This is the greatest thing I've ever read. Thanks for sharing ANN.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
In the case of Sailor Moon, Ikuhara was always butting heads with Toei and Naoko over what direction to take the series in. The big example was over Ikuhara's planned Sailor Moon SuperS movie which was going to be a lot darker and more surreal than the more light hearted filler in content we got in the final version of the film. Ikuhara wanted to make the SuperS season darker and more surreal in general but Toei wanted to make SuperS more kid friendly with a heavier focus on Chibiusa to appeal to younger viewers. I wonder how much of Ikuhara's conflicts with Toei influence how he approaches pitching plot ideas to production committees.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I think the only thing that bothers me about the show so far isn't so much the butthole imagery, but how the extraction is sorta rapey in and of itself and we see naked middle schoolers every episode.

That's something I could probably do without, but this show has left such an impression on me that I can't stop thinking about it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
In the case of Sailor Moon, Ikuhara was always butting heads with Toei and Naoko over what direction to take the series in. The big example was over Ikuhara's planned Sailor Moon SuperS movie which was going to be a lot darker and more surreal than the more light hearted filler in content we got in the final version of the film. Ikuhara wanted to make the SuperS season darker and more surreal in general but Toei wanted to make SuperS more kid friendly with a heavier focus on Chibiusa to appeal to younger viewers. I wonder how much of Ikuhara's conflicts with Toei influence how he approaches pitching plot ideas to production committees.

None of that has ever confirmed beyond idle speculation other than the SuperS movie being the genesis of Utena through. Ikuhara has never said anything about why he left Toei other that he wanted to start making his own projects as was told in those guides books that came with Nozomi boxsets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2