• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Another thing I've found odd is how the Reiss family lose their wits the first time they transform and always eat the first human in front of them; is this supposed to be genetically ingrained in them since all of the inheritors like Eren still have considerable control of themselves after they've transformed more than once?

It's something that's explained in the manga, but we probably won't be getting to it this season. If you really want to know... spoiler[ALL humans (well, humans who have the right genes to be able to turn into titans, that is) turn into a mindless titan who eats humans upon getting the serum. Eating a titan shifter (in this case, the current Founding Titan) is what turns them into a titan shifter themselves, and lets them regain their wits and humanity. That's why the ceremonial shelf is placed where it is, so that the newly born titan sees that person first and goes for them.]

[eta]

Forgot to mention, but the music this season really isn't doing it for me. From the put-me-to-sleep opening, to the random rap song used in this episode... yeah, I can't stand most of the music this season.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote

This episode throws up some a few interesting questions which I'm not sure will be answered by the end of this adaptation. The first one was what exactly that bottle labelled "armour" was, why the Reiss family had it and what exactly it does to sentient Titans when ingested. The second one is what on earth Rod Reiss in that weirdly proportioned Titan frame intends to do when he reaches the city walls. It is not the first time viewers have seen Titans with weird body proportions (Connie's mother) but for a member of the royal family to manifest like that is a surprise. Is it because of the way Rod Reiss ingested the spinal fluid and the state it was in, or was it his own natural form (which may or may not fit him because of that personality of his)?

This series has always made a point about focusing on the grey and the flawed humans who play such an important role in the universe they inhabit. I don't think viewers will ever know what exactly motivated Dr Jaegar to do what he was accused of, nor do I think viewers will ever know the truth of what happened in the chapel on the night of the ceremony (Rod Reiss told mostly the truth but he's lying or not revealing something is my hunch). Regardless of what really happened, it is humans who have clean up the mess and live with the consequences if they succeed in overcoming an imminent existential threat.

Now that Eren has got over his mental funk, he's going to be needed next week. If the Reiss Titan shares the same property as the steam-expelling colossal Titan, the only way they can stop its rampage is with another Titan who can withstand the high temperatures.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
When did Historia become one of the most awesome characters in the series?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote

Did Rod Reiss form up without a face or did scraping his face across the ground for hundreds of kilometres do that to him? If it's the latter, it's one answer to the "bigger is better" theory regarding Titan deadliness. Erwin's a born gambler, but somehow his gambles always pay off even if they're always at the very last minute. Unfortunately viewers are not privy to what on earth Rod Reiss was thinking about (if anything) when he started his great crawl towards Orvud and I doubt there'll be another answer to that.

Erwin was against Historia participating, but he's lucked in (again) when she dealt the finishing blow. Now she doesn't look like an idiot or someone insane when she declares herself the true ruler of the walls, after all no one in the village is going to dispute her claim when they think she dealt the finishing blow.

Kenny Ackermann looks like he's at death's door, but that syringe looks like bad news. Why does he have one of his own? If he does it, humans are finished if he transforms. Then again, next week's trailer suggests he has a story of his own to tell and the Reiss family isn't the only one with special knowledge it guards throughout a bloodline.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
It was from scraping his face and stomach for all that distance that did it. If you watch Rod’s transformation, you can see that he formed a full skull and rib cage.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 am Reply with quote
And he probably wasn't thinking anything. From what I've come to know, a first time Titan is a mindless acting on instinct Titan. You gave to eat a sentient Titan shifter to regain consciousness.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Another backstory, although I'm wondering how many viewers actually remember this particular person without rewatching the first season prior to the start of this season.

A few questions are answered (why Eren nearly failed the entry test at cadet school for example) but other new ones have emerged. If Grisha Jaegar really had amnesia like the 12th Commander suspected, how does that square with the account given by Rod Reiss several episodes back? The man himself is no longer around, so it's going to take quite a feat to connect the dots which are still hanging.

It's amusing to see Hange get worked up at the sight of the new Titan trap which they've devised thanks to the new technique Eren learnt a few weeks back. Personally I think it's premature to celebrate, since the trap is useless against sentient Titans and it's almost certainly not going to work against aberrations with unpredictable actions.

If next week's trailer is anything to go by, it looks like another action set piece is right around the corner.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote

Argh, here I thought the Wall Maria reconquest operation was going to take place this episode and it turns out it's just the night before. To top it off, it's an awkward endpoint for this season to keep the anime viewers in tenterhooks for the next airing which is in April of next year.

Most of the big reveals took place in previous episodes, so the only thing that really stands out is Levi wanting Erwin to stay back in the rear rather than lead from the front. Who knew getting one arm munched off would have such a drastic impact on his health?

Did my eyes deceive me, or did the pair sitting on the wall look familiar?

There's a very sneaky trailer of what's to come next season halfway through the ED animation. Not much to say about it since it looks really obvious what happened to the three of them, only mystery is what on earth Levi was so angry about.

Another long wait until the next season, but it's almost always been this way for this particular franchise. No doubt it'll get something beyond that since this franchise isn't going to fade away anytime soon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
The mid ED thing took me by total surprise, when the generally melodic song was suddenly interrupted with corrupted footage style. I have been a fan of anime before that have pulled that sort of thing off. At least left me wanting for the next season.

This season has been a little different from the others, with Titans themselves having a smaller presence, replaced with more human enemies, and them having an entire coup. I think that thing is fine, and could even be a good idea that it decided to confine it to this season. Kenny alone was pretty cool, along with his gang, that his introduction alone made him a worthy foe. Still, I would not say it was as great as the previous season, but maybe as good as it could be. I give it a rating of Very good (8/10), the series has been consistently good.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
S3 #13

April 2019 already? Time certainly flies.

OP song is back to the bombastic theme so beloved of the 1st and 2nd series, Red Swan from last airing turns out to be quite the aberration. Then again, if this season is all about humanity betting everything on retaking the Walls with the sentient Titans going all out to stop them, then it's appropriate the animation and song fit the mood. ED song also fits the pattern of previous airings, but I wonder why viewers need to be reminded of the ensemble cast's training days.

A little preamble before the scene is set with the small army making its way back to Shiganshina. Turns out their plans were either foreseen or leaked out ages before and the Titans have been preparing an ambush. They would have fallen for it as well had Armin not had his Eureka moment with the walls as a hiding place. The one-armed Erwin has something up his sleeve, and it's almost certainly got to do with next week's episode title but the surprise will have to wait. There are three Sentient Titans in charge and a horde of mindless ones under their thrall, so the odds are already stacked against the expeditionary force.

I wonder what the pacing for this season will be like. This is Season 3 part 2 so I expect one quarter's worth of shows. If the promotional poster of Eren looking at the sea is any indication, then there's a lot of ground to cover before viewers find out how on earth he got that far.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
S3 #14

The recapture of Shiganshina looks like it's going to play out over a few episodes. What hand the Scouts are going to play has been laid out this week, but the Beast and the two renegades appear to be working separately. If they were working together, why would Reiner leave immediately after killing the horses which are the Scouts' lifeline? He also refers to the Beast Titan as "War Chief", and both he and Bertholdt couldn't lay a finger on him when they presumably fought each other in the last airing.

It was very quick, but Reiner did explain how he survived the attack last week. Apparently Sentient Titans who transform transfer their consciousness to their new frames, so fatal wounds to normal humans don't "take effect" immediately like they would because the critical body parts cease being weaknesses and the "control point" at the nape of the neck itself becomes a weak point.

Reiner is aware of the significance behind Eren's nifty new Titan ability, so perhaps others in his Sentient Titan faction have the same ability or more? Not enough information right now on their side of the story though.

Viewers have known quite a bit more about Erwin Smith after the last airing. He's more complicated than he was made out to be when first introduced, but for Eren and the others it's a good thing he's on their side and not working against humanity. For all his talents, his penchant for gambling coupled with a commensurate amount of gambler's luck mean any scheme he'd hatch on behalf of the Titans would probably succeed with devastating consequences. I wonder what his monologue about the basement is really about, just a desire to see his life's work realised or something more sinister?

So the titular Lightning Spears are the new secret weapon to take on Reiner? They're certainly powerful, but Hange was right in the timing and their appropriate use. Reiner himself was about to unveil a trump card of his own before they attacked, so will it be enough to take him out? If next week's trailer is any indication, evidently not since Bertholdt emerged from his hiding place and hasn't yet transformed.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
S3 #15

Compared to last week, this episode lays off on the action and focuses more on the character development.

I wasn't sure what was going on in that flashback sequence, but the unexplained death of one of the cadets in a previous season is properly explained from the viewpoint of the infiltrators. It's been a while since Annie got time in the spotlight, but the main focus this week is on Bertholdt. The previously weak and vacillating Colossal Titan has firmed up his resolve and is now on a rampage.

Plenty of interesting tidbits thrown about between the three Titans over hot chocolate, but it's too vague for now and I'm hoping more of what they said will be properly explained further down the line.

Eren doesn't have the brains to appreciate why Armin wanted to negotiate, but the latter is right in acknowledging the knowledge deficit between the "devil humans" behind the walls and the transforming Titans. Even if the exchange wasn't fruitful, if Armin and the others survive they will have something to think about when analysing Bertholdt's comments.

Reiner is out of action for now, but his clever trick with the consciousness transfer keeps him just about alive. He'll need time to regenerate all of that damage though, but the Titans still have the upper hand with the numbers and their trump card activated.

I'm not familiar with baseball, but if I'm not mistaken Perfect Game is only used to describe a pitcher who has struck out all batters throughout the game with no break in innings and without giving up a single run or base. Coupled with Armin's comments, it looks like the Titans have everything completely under their control. Never mind exploring the basement, the Scouts expeditionary force has to do everything in its power to not get annihilated and lose their prize asset in the process.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
S3 #17

If last week's episode was letting the audience experience what absolute despair was for the Scout expeditionary force, this week is about the comeback. After all, Eren's view of the ocean isn't just for show. As always, every comeback comes at an absolutely ridiculous cost for the underdog humans.

Nice visceral show of the Beast Titan getting hacked into chunks. A shame Levi decided to wait for a survivor so that they could use the syringe, which gives the quadripedal support Titan the opportunity to extract the War Chief. It's not enough to kill the one-many army that is Levi, but it gives the rest inside the walls a way out provided they survive the remaining two Titans.

Armin comes good once again, but he's paid the ultimate price for buying time for Eren to complete his original mission and to get Berthold out of his shell. Both of the former cadets have fallen victim to the very human trait of hubris and overconfidence, otherwise there would never have been an opportunity for victory. Hange's unexpected survival (minus one eye) is the episode's deus ex machina moment, but otherwise it's a well-executed fight for survival.

I haven't forgotten the final shot from part one of this season, so Armin isn't finished yet. The question is, how do they get to that point?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Levi definitely dropped the ball on this one. Never hesitate to kill a dangerous enemy if there's even the slightest chance that someone will be able to come along and save them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It was a pretty bloody episode, with most character of note, most of the Survey Corp taken out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 98 of 107