• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:16 am Reply with quote
Was the episode enjoyable and well executed? Yes.

Was it all of this?

Quote:
The drama, the action, the pathos, and the drop-dead gorgeous animation all work in concert like perfectly polished cogs in a well-oiled shonen machine, and the result is nothing short of superb. This is easily one of the single best episodes of an anime I've seen so far this year, right up there with Mob Psycho 100 II's climactic episode 5.

Not really.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
Vikkio92 wrote:

Was it all of this?

Quote:
The drama, the action, the pathos, and the drop-dead gorgeous animation all work in concert like perfectly polished cogs in a well-oiled shonen machine, and the result is nothing short of superb. This is easily one of the single best episodes of an anime I've seen so far this year, right up there with Mob Psycho 100 II's climactic episode 5.

Not really.

I'll have to disagree.
MegaMooseJam2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Vikkio92 wrote:

Was it all of this?

Quote:

Not really.

I'll have to disagree.

I'm of Vikkio's opinion on this as well. The episode was fun and truly better than most in delivering some solid action. But as far as drama and pathos, it's not really all that, and not even close to Mob's showdown in the referenced episode.

It might be because of how fast paced the show is, but I feel like it really doesn't take the time to develop that emotional connection to the past disciples before they're well and thoroughly avenged. And this may just be the "jaded old guy" talking, but any drama that may exist from the confrontation is kinda moot just from knowing that this is a Shounen anime. We saw him cut the impossible boulder so we know thick-neck isn't gonna cut it, and Tanjiro already beat ghost-boy in a duel so we know his approach is a guaranteed success.

Don't get me wrong. I'm loving the show. It's definitely a fun a very well done entry in the action-fantasy Shounen world. But it's not exactly a genre defying story so far.

I'd also like to comment on the unnecessary exposition that the reviewer mentioned regarding the slaying sword. It really did pull me right out of the moment for information we've actually already heard. In episode 2 we're told that there are only two ways to kill a demon: decapitation with a special sword and sunlight. Seeing Tanjiro kill demons with his sword is enough information to know he's using a special demon-slaying sword. We didn't need an extra flashback telling that it's made of "magic steel." Maybe if the flashback explained what's so special about the metal, it would've felt less superfluous. But as is, it was just redundant and a waste of time. Again, just my thoughts on the subject.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't quite get what there is to gush at so much, this is pretty much shonen paint by number as far as I'm concerned. I also don't have much of an emotional attachment to characters who were introduce last week and have maybe 5 minutes screen time maximum so the revenge didn't carry much emotional heft. I mean it was well done, but I don't see myself remembering this in a month.

Also lol at smelling attack which, on top of that, translate into really fast sword swing.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
That’s cause the training is to raise his physical stats to the minimum required to be a Demon Hunter.

You start getting clever once actually start fighting living creatures.

Well, as of episode 4, it appears that the strategy when fighting actual demons, including really powerful ones, is... to be stronger and faster than them. And to have a magic demon-bane sword. Which is all well and good, but not particularly new or interesting. Tanjiro's super-smelling has turned out to be effectively just Jedi reflexes, which is also kind of a step backwards (though we already saw some of that last episode).

The animation is certainly good, and it lacks the, uh, unfortunate political leanings of the other shonen superviolence anime airing right now, but beyond those points, I'm starting to lose interest in it. The tension and drama of this episode was mostly eliminated by how obvious it was that Tanjiro the boulder-slicer would successfully slice the big boulder-shaped demon. I can at least keep watching until Nezuko wakes up, as long as that happens relatively soon.

MegaMooseJam2008 wrote:
We didn't need an extra flashback telling that it's made of "magic steel."

I'd actually go a bit further--it didn't need to be magic steel at all. Before that flashback, I assumed that his super-skill sword strikes allowed him to kill the demons. The revelation that it's not that (or that you need both skills and a special sword) kind of undermines the importance of the whole training sequence from the last episode.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well, as of episode 4, it appears that the strategy when fighting actual demons, including really powerful ones, is... to be stronger and faster than them.

Keep in mind the demon he defeated was one that was captured by real demon hunters and had gotten fat off of killing trainees. "Really powerful" isn't the way I'd describe it. This was literally him finally getting to the starting line.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm in full agreement with the review. I always appreciate storytelling that can make you feel something for the defeated ones as well as the victors.

So Haganezuka's mask is a clown mask? I've seen that mask in probably every anime that has a festival showing a mask vendor's stall, and I've always wondered what it was supposed to signify among the kitsune and tengu masks. The subs called it a clown mask, but I'm still wondering if there's more to it than just the Japanese version of Bozo.

Aaaaand...she's asleep again. Neutral
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So in about fifteen minutes that span just two episodes, Demon Slayer managed to introduce a monster-of-the-week that I was overjoyed to see killed off, only to have me wiping away tears for him by the time he was gone.

This is really what sets this show apart from other cookie cutter shounen battle anime (aside from looking really good), the MC shows a lot of empathy to friend and foe alike which makes him much for interesting than your standard shounen hero brat. Plus, he's got a good reason for fighting which is not just "i want to be the strongest ever" or "i need to kill everything"...

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Aaaaand...she's asleep again. Neutral

She's very hungry, apparently. Wink
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So Haganezuka's mask is a clown mask? I've seen that mask in probably every anime that has a festival showing a mask vendor's stall, and I've always wondered what it was supposed to signify among the kitsune and tengu masks. The subs called it a clown mask, but I'm still wondering if there's more to it than just the Japanese version of Bozo.
It's a Hyottoko mask, which I guess counts as a sort of clownish stock character.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Keep in mind the demon he defeated was one that was captured by real demon hunters and had gotten fat off of killing trainees. "Really powerful" isn't the way I'd describe it.

So we're moving the goalposts again... Yeah, it killed the last 15-20 of Sakonji's students, and presumably a lot of others. They made it pretty clear that, in more normal circumstances, none of the final-exam demons would be anywhere near that strong. Obviously that one won't be the most powerful enemy our hero(es) ever face, but it was sort of disappointing how easily and uncreatively he took it down.

Anyway, episode 5 seemed like a step back in the right direction, for the most part. Mainly the show just works better for me when it's not trying to be overly grim and serious. I guess we're not getting a real explanation for why Nezuko slept for two entire years (besides "writer didn't know what to do with her during the training arc") but at least she's back in the conscious world now, presumably only sleeping during the day? I'm also a little confused about why Tanjiro now needs another magic demon-killing sword when he already had one. I guess the color-changing one must be better, but they didn't explain why.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I'm also a little confused about why Tanjiro now needs another magic demon-killing sword when he already had one. I guess the color-changing one must be better, but they didn't explain why.

The scene were the kid was threatening the twin to get a sword was just weird, he was so adamant about wanting a sword right now... while having a sword on his hips. An explanation would have been very appreciated.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

So we're moving the goalposts again...

No, rhe show told you that there are demons that use blood arts, which clearly he wasn't. He was just a normal demon that got fattened himself up.

kotomikun wrote:

I guess we're not getting a real explanation for why Nezuko slept for two entire years (besides "writer didn't know what to do with her during the training arc")

They outright told you that she gets her strength back from sleeping to compensate for the fact she hadn't eaten flesh.

meiam wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
I'm also a little confused about why Tanjiro now needs another magic demon-killing sword when he already had one. I guess the color-changing one must be better, but they didn't explain why.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=5120924
The scene were the kid was threatening the twin to get a sword was just weird, he was so adamant about wanting a sword right now... while having a sword on his hips. An explanation would have been very appreciated.

Do you guys not have any patience for these things?
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I guess we're not getting a real explanation for why Nezuko slept for two entire years (besides "writer didn't know what to do with her during the training arc") but at least she's back in the conscious world now, presumably only sleeping during the day? I'm also a little confused about why Tanjiro now needs another magic demon-killing sword when he already had one. I guess the color-changing one must be better, but they didn't explain why.

meiam wrote:

Those are their master's swords that they're borrowing for the exam.

Also lol what would a "real explanation" be?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So if they can use there master sword, what's the point of the whole personalization (chose the ore) and color part? It's also weird to have the jerk kid bully the twin to get a sword when he's apparently totally cool with just returning it. He absolutely cannot wait to get a sword, to the point where he's willing to threaten the people who represent the organization that his master belong to, but never though about just keeping the one he already has? By having the explanation before hand (could have cut out the part where they enumerated all the 10 ranks name, not like that provided useful information) but instead given an explanation then and there the scene would have made a lot more sense.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So if they can use there master sword, what's the point of the whole personalization (chose the ore) and color part? It's also weird to have the jerk kid bully the twin to get a sword when he's apparently totally cool with just returning it. He absolutely cannot wait to get a sword, to the point where he's willing to threaten the people who represent the organization that his master belong to, but never though about just keeping the one he already has? By having the explanation before hand (could have cut out the part where they enumerated all the 10 ranks name, not like that provided useful information) but instead given an explanation then and there the scene would have made a lot more sense.

Because it’s not his sword. Those swords they used are loans for the exams. Now that they passed they can get a personal sword that’s theirs & theirs alone & as a symbol that they are Demon Slayers. The fact the ore changes color depending on the user highlights that it’s a personal weapon.

It’s not a complex concept to understand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20