• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Lauren wrote:
This anime is based on a shonen manga that's been in print since 2012, with 19 tankobon volumes and counting!

And here I thought it was a shoujo Embarassed
Nice show so far. I dig it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
The last thing I want to see from this show is the club members playing the instrument. It's like the case with Bamboo Blade and shows of the same type; When it comes down to just being what the club is about, that is "nothing what we're going through matters as much as the activity itself" is the point I get turned off. I list Bmboo Blade as the most blatant example as that's the show that takes a "stalker" plotline and turns into a source for kendo training videos. "See? This is what you're doing wrong. And thank you for partaking in this disgusting and perverted activity."

Take K-On! "We'll do whatever it takes as long as we're not playing as a group. We have to do it, eventually, but..."
And then there's Bakuon!! which take the "slice of life" + "club activity" formula and turns the slice of life into absurdist humor.

This series is turning the slice of life into heavy drama which is good.
The series is turning it into the realm of heavy handed drama which isn't as good.
"Koto is serious business!!" But it's not. "It's more serious than bullying and personal choice!!" Really, it's not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
And I want to hear more koto music. You'd think they'd at least incorporate it into the ED music. It's very weird to be focused on koto and then hear an acoustic guitar start the ED.

Other than that, I think it's off to a good start.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I agree; I'd really like to have a lot more koto music in the anime about koto music. Like when the kids gave the performance it would have been nice to play out the whole song, even if they put the main cast's dialogue over it.

That said, this one is interesting. The drama is way over the top, but somehow not in an annoying way most of the time. I also do like that, while she is in general a complete asshole, Houzuki doesn't hate on the other members for not being good as she is, and seems genuinely confident that they will be able to improve a lot.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
right after “actually, let's hear more than a few seconds of koto music at a time.”

And that's why I'm glad this show is being reviewed. Now I can just wait and see if the music ever becomes more than a backdrop and I should pick it up, or just (continue) spending my time watching something else.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's pretty obvious that ... Hozuki is going to have a misunderstanding with Chika based on the crime he's accused of

I don't see why that would be, considering who she's getting the story from. If the bad delinquents (as opposed to our good ones) or the vice principal were the messenger, then yeah.

What I don't get is that I thought she already had heard it, or pieces of it, when she first joined and she found him at the koto shop. She at least knows he damaged a koto, rather than merely being indirectly involved like with the club's kotos.

I really don't see how a koto looks anything like a dragon. Are the bridges the part that's supposed to be serpentine?

At least we got a few more bars of koto playing! I guess they're saving it for the grand performance for the school. They'd better not gloss over that in favor of the finale of the competition.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As the soundtrack improves, the animation becomes increasingly minimalist.

The animation has almost dropped to Piano no Mori level now which is a real shame since the music was great and a bit more movement would have elelvated the emotional impact even more.

That being said, i'm invested enough in these kids by now, that i'll gladly follow their journey to the end. So off to Nationals we go~. Smile

Also, they have an advisor now?! I wonder what's up with him...
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Quote:
As the soundtrack improves, the animation becomes increasingly minimalist.

The animation has almost dropped to Piano no Mori level now which is a real shame since the music was great and a bit more movement would have elelvated the emotional impact even more.

That being said, i'm invested enough in these kids by now, that i'll gladly follow their journey to the end. So off to Nationals we go~. Smile

I think he's the one who was conspiring with the VP to shut down the club
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

I guess they would have had to have one, but it's weird they he's only just now coming on stage to do something. I mean, even if he's been cahooting with the Vice Principal, the kids haven't mentioned him once, and they always go to the Principal if they need something.

But yay, finally some extended koto music, and what a piece of music it is! (thanks for the YT link - that was magnificent!) It's still jarring to go into the ED with guitars though, especially coming off that performance.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Merida wrote:

I think he's the one who was conspiring with the VP to shut down the club

Yeah, but what are his reasons? And as Gina mentioned, why is this the first time we see him?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I was watching this episode again, and during the finale when the dragon energy is washing over the audience and blowing them all away, everyone is shocked and awed except for this one kid who's just not having it. Laughing

Always a hard case in every crowd...

The koto sounds to me like a cross between a banjo and a harp, which are two instruments you wouldn't imagine working together, but apparently would if you wanted to arrange it. Oh look - somebody did just that. Very Happy And since I think people who like this series would appreciate it, here's...a Taproot. I don't even know how to describe it, other than stunning, and one of a kind. Check it out.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the anime yet, but I've read the manga, and it sounds like it's following really faithfully. I admit to having found some of the beginning details a bit shakey in the ways that people are mentioning, like why is Kurusu such an enemy, and where was the club advisor, and for that matter, how off balance it is to start with Takezo's pov as if he's the protagonist character, when actually if there is a protagonist character, it's Chika. About right after this part with Kurusu is resolved though, I felt like the manga really hit its stride.
chronium

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

This series is turning the slice of life into heavy drama which is good.
The series is turning it into the realm of heavy handed drama which isn't as good.
"Koto is serious business!!" But it's not. "It's more serious than bullying and personal choice!!" Really, it's not.

You're not actually paying attention to what's going on. They're more treating Koto as group therapy for the characters to deal with their issues.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love how the koto club kills the vice principal with kindness.

Heh, that was my thought exactly, and this song has been running through my head ever since.

I'm getting definite Peach Girl vibes now. I dun like Kurusu. Sad Maybe they can use the kill them with kindness strategy on her.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I love how the koto club kills the vice principal with kindness.

Heh, that was my thought exactly, and this song has been running through my head ever since.

I'm getting definite Peach Girl vibes now. I dun like Kurusu. Sad Maybe they can use the kill them with kindness strategy on her.

Don't worry, it's not at all like Peach Girl. If you can hang in there, this plot arc isn't all that long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3