• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Ideal Sponger Life GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
This volume won't blow anyone away, but it does provide a surprisingly enjoyable read.

If it wasn't for the last sentence of the first paragraph, then I would have thought that he was damning with faint praise.....
melmouth

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Most young men's dream come true...WITH lots of care in preliminary world-building and setting up details to make the whole deal plausible and capable of being developed interestingly later.

I'm very interested!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first volume. Liked the art and found it enjoyable.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of the term "sponger" being used to refer to a guy laying about doing no work. Aren't they called NEETs?
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I've never heard of the term "sponger" being used to refer to a guy laying about doing no work. Aren't they called NEETs?

"NEET" means "not in education, employment, or training." In the Japanese title, Risou no Himo Seikatsu, "himo" refers to a man who is financially dependent on a woman, i.e. a leech or a sponge. It's a very specific term. You could think of it as a subcategory of NEETs.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The LN is pretty good, it sorta goes against the grain of Isekai LN's of this past decade. The MC not wanting a harem, the lead female being competent and strong on her own. The MC also changes to help her out with the political stuff. While the manga is good it does cut down a lot of the background info.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
This is the only non-comedic Isekai that I have read that really liked

My favorite part it's...

spoiler[When the possibility of an harem surfaces, MC politely shuts it down because goes against his principles and at this point he is genuinely in love with Aura... just for it to become a political crisis explained in a realistic and believable way, so, they have to device a plan to avoid the problem]

It's like the thing it's making fun of other isekai that take the matter too lightly in a quite clever way.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a scapism just the the review says, but it's smartly written.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

"NEET" means "not in education, employment, or training." In the Japanese title, Risou no Himo Seikatsu, "himo" refers to a man who is financially dependent on a woman, i.e. a leech or a sponge. It's a very specific term. You could think of it as a subcategory of NEETs.

The closest thing I can think of in English that is actually used would be used would be gigolo but that isn't really whats going on here so.
melmouth

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
"Sponger" is a common term in American English for an adult man who doesn't work and lives off someone else.

Or at least it was when I was young, many years ago.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
the phrase I remember is to "sponge off" someone. Not used much now.

Here from Macmillan's online dictionary.
[sponge off someone] to ask for money and other things from someone such as a friend or relative and make no effort to give them anything or to pay for anything yourself
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
the phrase I remember is to "sponge off" someone. Not used much now.

I'm also one that knows this saying, so the title of this one clicked for me.

Another term is "scrub", for those that remember TLC.

I do like what people have to say about this series, I just wish the LN was licensed instead of the manga. No guarantee that the manga is going to cover the story till the end.
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
I've found it rather boring. Ok it has an interesting premise at all, but soon all fall flat, I couldn't really enjoy the plot, the characters, almost anything. Even the art is nothing special.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
This exact discourse on what the hell you even call this kind of guy in English was going through my mind when trying to come up with the front-page blurb for this review. "Sugar baby" refers more to women and sometimes twinks, but it was the only term I could think of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
JacobC

IIRC, in Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden the narrator (At the end? I forget.) describes herself as "a kept woman". So perhaps Zenjiro Yamai could be described as "a kept man"?

My above analogy is not exact.....
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
JacobC

IIRC, in Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden the narrator (At the end? I forget.) describes herself as "a kept woman". So perhaps Zenjiro Yamai could be described as "a kept man"?

My above analogy is not exact.....

This discussion would be a lot easier if the genders were reversed. Probably because there wouldn't be much of a discussion. How many times has there been a male lead whose significant other has been written into more or less a passive character in the background only good for showing off, especially in settings involving medieval times and nobles/royals?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2