• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Helpful Fox Senko-san is both Comforting and Uncomfortable

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I find this no more or less off-putting than I Dream of Jeanie or Bewitched. If you find either of those off-putting, you have picked the wrong media to consume. Hollywood has plenty of shows for you.

Last edited by bennyl on Tue May 07, 2019 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Way to miss the point there. To my recall both those shows featured adult women, not little girls. That's why we're having these conversations about this awful show.
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to 95% of all of anime, where everyone is younger than 18.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I generally like this column, but I'm not sure what the point is of talking about Senko-san if neither of you two have anything to say beyond "Nope! Not for me!" Could it hurt ANN to find a reviewer or two who understands the appeal of this sort of thing, because it's not like it's some rare genre that sees a title once every decade or so - moe with loli characters is a thing every season. No one gains anything from you folks moaning about the premise when the premise is pretty clear to anyone looking at the marketing imagery - either you like it or you don't. Why review horror if you hate horror? The intent should be to inform a potential audience not just provide a reviewer with a place to sound-off. Pretty sure we all have twitter accounts for that!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The intent should be to inform a potential audience not just provide a reviewer with a place to sound-off.

Maybe the column needs a better description, but this essentially is the point of it. ANN has lots of standard reviews with letter-grades and such; this column is mostly for silly banter, not meant to be taken seriously.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first two episodes, and I find Senko faaaaaaar more cringy uncomfortable than Uzamaid and Wataten - I LOVED those shows. Uzamaid is hilarious and Wataten is adorable.

Senko is just so weird I almost can't handle it. The second person part at the end is nearly unwatchable.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not exactly seeing what the problem is with the premise. Senko helps him entirely of her own volition because she's an adult who is mature enough to make her own choices, there's no imbalance of power in the relationship, Kurono sees her as a nice caretaker and a good source of fluff and little more, etc. I can understand the problem with shows like Uzamaid and Wataten, in fact I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes of Uzamaid myself, but Senko-san's intentions and appeal are entirely pure and wholesome* that I have to question the motives of anyone who supposedly has some big issue with it.

*Note that I mean at this point, and it's entirely possible it could get gross later down the line. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, and that won't have disproven my point about these first several episodes.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Wataten is a masterpiece. Referring to it as "yikes" is both stupid and cringe inducing. It was a completely wholesome, endearing show with one of the best final episodes in the slice of life genre
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Senko-san's intentions and appeal are entirely pure and wholesome

MarthKoopa wrote:
[Wataten] was a completely wholesome, endearing show with one of the best final episodes in the slice of life genre

You keep using that word...

Look, I'm not gonna tell you what you can and can't like, but "wholesome" is generally used to describe something entirely inoffensive, family-friendly, devoid of anything sketchy or controversial or otherwise negative. The major backlash to Wataten/Uzamaid, and the smaller backlash to Senko-San, clearly disqualifies them from being called that. If they seem 100% wholesome to you, I suggest doing some research into why many people reacted so negatively, instead of just trying to dismiss their opinions offhand. You might learn something.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Look, I'm not gonna tell you what you can and can't like, but "wholesome" is generally used to describe something entirely inoffensive, family-friendly, devoid of anything sketchy or controversial or otherwise negative. The major backlash to Wataten/Uzamaid, and the smaller backlash to Senko-San, clearly disqualifies them from being called that. If they seem 100% wholesome to you, I suggest doing some research into why many people reacted so negatively, instead of just trying to dismiss their opinions offhand. You might learn something.

Sure, like how people love to blow things out of proportion and see things that clearly aren't there. Uzamaid was uncomfortable because said maid clearly had a sexual/romantic attraction to a literal child. It and Senko are not the same in that regard.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Maa, when I saw this show being covered in TWIA this is what i expected, only with more violent reactions.

As a whole however the current situation (more for the case of Wataten and UzaMaid than Senko TBH, and not so much for this specific column) feels... weird. I get that with time morals change and protecting children is important, and I get that such sexualized content in anime becomes less and less attractive as time go on... but I don't get the shocked reaction about certain series when that (admittedly bewildering) Kodomo no Jikan was over a decade ago, and the less offensive Ro-Kyu-Bu is 8.
We should all know by now that shows with those tropes not only exist, but aren't the only important elements in their respective series. So why do so many reviews ignore everything in favour of highlighting only the problematic tropes asi if they are a new disease that has sprouted out of nowhere?

jenthehen wrote:
I've watched the first two episodes, and I find Senko faaaaaaar more cringy uncomfortable than Uzamaid and Wataten - I LOVED those shows. Uzamaid is hilarious and Wataten is adorable.

Senko is just so weird I almost can't handle it. The second person part at the end is nearly unwatchable.

Just trying to understand this opinion, what's your stance on iyashikei shows, the "nothing happens but in a very good way" kind?
Because honestly, the creep is so low in this show compared to the other two (not like Myaa-nee got to be too creepy too often beyond the first couple episodes, unlike that maid) that Senko being the Weirder one must be due to the underlying genre.
One being a comedy with some attempts at drama and the next being the usual Kirara fare (even if it's by Cune or Yurihime. Kirara has developed a strong template for "colorful all-girls moe SoL with frequent comedy"), Senko would be an outlier by toning down the pep of comedy in favour of relaxation.

MarthKoopa wrote:
Wataten is a masterpiece. Referring to it as "yikes" is both stupid and cringe inducing. It was a completely wholesome, endearing show with one of the best final episodes in the slice of life genre

Wataten is great and it's amazing that Noa did good on her claim of being three people. But it absolutely was not wholesome, you'd have to remove half of Myaa-nee's character for that, or at least the part where she bribes a little girl into dressing up for her as a habit.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm pretty done with these kind of shows. The whole perfect devoted flawless waifu who worships the ground you walk on was old when Oh My Goddess did it thirty years ago. I get the point of them, I understand the appeal, but it sends a bit of a chill down my spine.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I think it is the cutest show of the season and Senko is the most adorable fox girl I have seen in anime. The show is a bit ecchi though I would say that is a lot tamer than Dragon Maid. If anything I am just amused that anyone would comsider this show controversial when there are several ecchi shows this season.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think it is the cutest show of the season and Senko is the most adorable fox girl I have seen in anime. The show is a bit ecchi though I would say that is a lot tamer than Dragon Maid. If anything I am just amused that anyone would comsider this show controversial when there are several ecchi shows this season.

Now that you mention the cutest show of the season, I wish Dogakobo were the ones animating Hitoribocchi.
About Maidragon, that reminds me of Lucoa and the boy she lusted after. But that happened well into the show when it had already cemented itself as a likeable series.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...so what does the fox say?

Can you please not?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3