• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Netflix's Ingress Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much Netflix is in debt, you would think they would spend more of their resources into licensing "Netflix Original" anime that are actually good.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not 2004. Netflix can shove their international soundtrack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
A Netflix original police procedural with a hook that's very much anime?

I can already tell that the answer to the eponymous question is no.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, as someone who likes to watch every CGI anime I'm gonna have to give this a shot. I don't expect much though.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ok, at this point I don't know if it´s just bias from this column´s hosts or if they´re really making critical reviews of any Netflix anime series they watch.Why? Because the Netflix anime series they´ve liked the most are the ones full of otaku tropes/cliches, and they even ovepraise them, while this kind of stuff is seen as "It´s abad anime because I don´t like it". know that most anime viewers hate the idea of anime series staying away from otaku tropes/cliches, but anime has been drowning in mediocrity when serving the horny otaku young ones was the priority. I mean, we still have stuff like since 2008, with the awfully bad Kenja no Mago being the most watched anime in Japan in a poll made by d´Anime Store alongside some other boring and cliche anime series in this season. https://www.crunchyroll.com/es-es/ame-news/2019/05/08-1/ntt-docomo-research-spring-2019-tv-anime-popularity-ranking. How come an actually worth watching anime like Ultraman gets trashed by these guys because "it has american tropes, so it´s bad", while awful time-wasters like Senko Fox or whatever is the name of that series gets celebrated despite otaku tropes and needless fetichism getting in the way of enjoying it? How will non-anime viewers take anime seriously when this kind of stuff happens in the anime community?

Also, this site SHOULD definetely cover any Netflix anime as soon as it´s released, like at least 2 days since its release. Why? Because I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for actual, official, and more in-depth reviews about this series, and the few reviews I saw in the internet were pretty basic, or they were reviews based on the first 3 episodes. If this site covered more Netfñix anime soon after its release, we would have a better answer about watching these shows or not.

I don´t wanna hate you, guys. You´re doing a good job with this column, so keep the good work. But please, most anime viewers love to claim that these Netflix anime series don´t get any coverage and they think all of them are bad or generic without even watching them, so this site, which covers anime and otaku-related topics, should really step up their game with this kind of coverage beyond just the news and release dates.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Netflix's track record with me isn't looking so hot. I agree with the review that this was an extremely mediocre show, and it's in the top 5 of the dozen or so Netflix Original anime series I've watched.....

Like they said, can we get some variety Netflix? I know someone over there thinks anime only existed from 1994 to 1996 or something, but there are other types of stories you could tell.
CRE040295

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Yeah, it's not 2004. Netflix can shove their international soundtrack.

You mean the 4Kids' dub of One Piece you're talking about?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, the entire original soundtrack for the show's TV airing was replaced for its international release

They did the same thing with Monster, except not everything was just replaced, but some of the tracks were shuffled around to different scenes. I had assumed that had something to do with money, but Netflix has enough to get around that, so I'm even more baffled by these decisions.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Netflix's track record with me isn't looking so hot. I agree with the review that this was an extremely mediocre show, and it's in the top 5 of the dozen or so Netflix Original anime series I've watched.....

Like they said, can we get some variety Netflix? I know someone over there thinks anime only existed from 1994 to 1996 or something, but there are other types of stories you could tell.

While I get where this is coming from, this idea that Netflix only really licenses a certain kind of anime is significantly overstated. Some other Netflix Originals: Hi Score Girl, Rilakkuma and Kaoru, Forest of Piano, Precure (under another name), Dragon Pilot, Devilman Crybaby, Kakegurui, Little Witch Academia, Aggretsuko, Violet Evergarden, to say nothing of catalog titles. I don't think anyone is going to argue that Netfix has the largest or widest catalog of anime, but there is variety there, if you look.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Netflix certainly has a few shows that break out of the stereotype, but looking through their "Netflix Original" anime, I counted at least 11 or 12 of them that were angsty sci-fi shows and movies, so they definitely consider that market to be a core demographic for them. It reminds me a lot of how Manga Enterainment used to focus heavily on these types of shows back in the early to mid 90s. Sometimes some of them would turn out to be good but a lot of those dark angsty OVAs Manga used to market heavily back then have since been forgotten about.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Netflix certainly has a few shows that break out of the stereotype, but looking through their "Netflix Original" anime, I counted at least 11 or 12 of them that were angsty sci-fi shows and movies, so they definitely consider that market to be a core demographic for them. It reminds me a lot of how Manga Enterainment used to focus heavily on these types of shows back in the early to mid 90s. Sometimes some of them would turn out to be good but a lot of those dark angsty OVAs Manga used to market heavily back then have since been forgotten about.

It's more than just a few. In addition to those 9 shows I mentioned, 6 more currently available shows definitely don't fit that genre (Back Street Girls, Baki, Seven Deadly Sins, Flavors of Youth, Lost Song, Magi: Adventures of Sinbad). I don't think I would include Fate in that genre either, so that's 2 more (Extra and Apocrypha), bringing us up to 17. Adding in 4 others that have been announced but have not been released yet (Beastars, Carole and Tuesday, Kengan Ashura, and Saint Seiya), that puts it at 21, which is over half by any counts I've seen (though I did combine the two Precure seasons that they have, which are listed separately). That is far from just a few. Now one could broaden one's search to darker and/or more action oriented series and nab a few more for that would fit well with Netflix's target audience, but then again those aren't really limited to the 90s and are far from uncommon today. In fact, I could name at least 10 currently airing series available on CR, Funimation, and Amazon that would not be out of place on Netflix.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
For the record, Netflix wasn't behind the new soundtrack for the show and that it was actually the game's developer itself, Niantic, who was in control of that and the anime's overall localization.

The composer for the new score never specifies Netflix being in the picture when he was hired for the job: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/ingress-the-animation-new-music-1203193231/

And the English dub credits (https://imgur.com/a/WHvKzI9) list 2 individuals from Niantic as working on the script and subtitle adaptation, one of whom being Flint Dille, creative lead of Ingress.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 am Reply with quote
I'm sceptical over this CG aspect with Netflix's audience, the part about them being less bothered about CG sounds pleasurable, what doesn't is this idea that they are willing eating this stuff up. I just can't believe that people are scrolling through Netflix going
"Devilman Crybaby, Devilman vs Cyborg 009, Little Witch Academia, Baki(and all those older titles they've put up their like Eureka Seven). Oh wow ugly dead looking plastic models, this is exactly what I've been looking for".
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 am Reply with quote
CG not withstanding, the thing I took away from watching a few episodes of this show to check it out was how old-fashioned it all seemed, like the kind of things which were ten a penny in late period cyberpunk.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
"XM"?

They cannot be Sirius.

B)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2