• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Punch Man Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I found that re-reading the chapters covered by the latest episode after watching it to be the best way I can watch through the series, healthily. I've been looking forward to this episode (and the next one) but I'm really disappointed they took a bunch of shortcuts with the animation, and even some of the fight choreography. Metal Bat just didn't have that oomph and hype in the anime unlike in the Manga. Hope next one looks good.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
So the new review is... "the story is this, Saitama is that... but the animation is horrible, so 2.5/5" That's a joke.

Maybe next time we can hope for a review that take the series for what it does and not what it should have done? Rolling Eyes

As for me, the story seems to be moving slowly towards to bigger battles. Saitama has a limited role in this because, well, he'd be ending everything in one single punch.

Agreed
yanv

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Metal Bat just didn't have that oomph and hype in the anime unlike in the Manga.

It was unusually underwhelming. I distinctly remember a more dynamic set of events with Metal Bat and the centi-crew.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

Remember kid, when you see people who are willingly working in a system you disagree with, murdering them is totally justifiable! Rolling Eyes

For the record, Garou has killed 0 people so far. He's beaten the snot out of plenty of people, but his goal is to hype his own name up by beating as many strong heroes as possible.

Pretty sure he killed all the people in the room when he was first introduced, at least he cut the arms of one guys...

No he didn't. If that was the case it would have definitely been brought up.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
meiam wrote:
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

Remember kid, when you see people who are willingly working in a system you disagree with, murdering them is totally justifiable! Rolling Eyes

For the record, Garou has killed 0 people so far. He's beaten the snot out of plenty of people, but his goal is to hype his own name up by beating as many strong heroes as possible.

Pretty sure he killed all the people in the room when he was first introduced, at least he cut the arms of one guys...

How does showing it at the start of episode 2, with him saying things like "you're all going to die", does not count as bringing it up?
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
gedata wrote:
meiam wrote:
lossthief wrote:
meiam wrote:

How does showing it at the start of episode 2, with him saying things like "you're all going to die", does not count as bringing it up?
The whole idea behind Garou as a character is that he's nowhere near as bad as he wants to think he is. Case and point being how he never took the hero book from that kid at the park. He's just a punk that wants to push his limits outside of the bounds of the hero-based culture he never embraced due to his hatred of the popular. And besides, Tank Top Master, nor did any news report clearly mention him killing people. That kind of threat comes off as a bit of hyperbole.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The saddest part is that every anime-only I've seen and even my friend, sees Metal Bat as an easily-forgotten, mediocre, over-hyped guy with no special qualities. They really did him dirty. The manga emphasizes his iron will and sheer physical strength and bad-assery but I didn't see a drop of that in the episode. Shame.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
They really made me think this week would be decent but I guess the budget ran out for real last episode. This fight was pretty damn terrible, and it's not even surprising considering they have 13 episodes to rush THE biggest OPM arc.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
This martial arts tournament thing was never in the web comic and was added for the manga remake so the accusation of "filler" in this case wrings, unfortunately, quite true.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
I also heard that a lot of the monster vs hero fights on this arc are also filler.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
Honestly they could rush through sections of this arc and it would be fine. The author focuses more on the supporting cast. Which is rather dull. Many are just strength or speed oriented. It is this author's one trick pony concept. Hard to feel anything for muscle guy/girl of the week. Usually presented wearing speedos or thongs because clearly strong individuals have to be next to naked to be considered strong.

Mix in the same general plot around the inept hero organization who has more money than brains and...it's the same routine. Same formula. Not seeing anything from the author that suggests he can keep this series going in the long run.

Quite a few things could be skipped or limited to get to the more important segments.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'll leave it here, the truth is that the direction ended up bored me and the story is so not interesting, so many character i couldn't care less, Jc staff has managed NOT to make a bad anime, but something worse an anime totally forgettable what is even worse.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
I dropped OPM after the Metal Bat vs Garou fight last week and I gotta say, it's a great feeling taking the backseat and enjoying everyone's disappointment each week lol.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
^ Living up to the nym, eh?

I'm still enjoying it. This week kinda bounced around too much, which seems to be an ongoing problem to varying degrees, but it's still keeping me entertained.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I think this shows the problem with the whole monster association attacks arc. There are about 12 forgettable fights against monster we dont care about, 3 fights with slightly more interesting ones and a bunch of useless martial arts fights right up until the finale. All of it was in the name of fleshing out the background cast but other then saying they are bad arse it did nothing for them.

Interesting that JC staff avoiding animating most of the tournament fights entirely by using single stills with voice overs. There is so much animation saving in this series it makes it painful to watch at times. Also the lower impact for metal bat and cockroach have shown JC refuse to add any animation that does not get them through the story ASAP. They didn't even show how Genos lost his arm. Just slashing motions from the face guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7