• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Pokémon Company: 'We Don't Know' What Mr. Mime Is

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
"We didn't create Mr. Mime. We didn't program him into the game. He was just there when we released it. We don't know how he got there. We tried to delete him from the game but he just kept coming back. We have no idea how this is happening. We're scared."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ignore it and maybe it will go away.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
When playing Pokemon X for the first time I froze Valerie's Mr. Mime. If a Pokemon is frozen in the game they stop moving completely. I don't remember all the details other than it was frozen... frozen in it's invisible box... never blinking, never moving... completely still... until I out it out of it's misery...

So yeah... I totally get that Mr. Mime is creepy!
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
What is Mr. Mime? We just don't know.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I googled it and the director said there's only 54 pokemon in the movie so I wouldn't say it was "almost 100". It was one of the problems I had with the movie as there were so many background pokemon that were just repeated over and over like Treecko.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Of course we know who Mr. Mime is. He's Ash's dad.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I googled it and the director said there's only 54 pokemon in the movie so I wouldn't say it was "almost 100". It was one of the problems I had with the movie as there were so many background pokemon that were just repeated over and over like Treecko.

Bulbapedia has a list of 59 (so far, I'm sure that there's some that have been missed) that were in the movie, so the director is undercutting.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Mime is the only pokemon that has Mr. in its name despite being a female version.

(correct me if I'm wrong)
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Mr. Mime is the only pokemon that has Mr. in its name despite being a female version.

Apparently Nob Ogasawara (translator of the Pokémon games through to the end of Gen IV) actually suggested that maybe calling it “Mr. Mime” in English might not be a good idea in case genders were introduced in a sequel. Nintendo obviously didn’t listen to him, so now we have female Mr. Mime.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:24 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ignore it and maybe it will go away.

Lol, at least he doesn't say "Mr. Mime" in the trailers (not sure about the movie). It defeats the entire purpose of miming if you say anything even if it's your name.

I laughed my ass off when I saw and heard Mr. Mime in the original Pokemon anime.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

There's also "Geodude"

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Apparently Nob Ogasawara (translator of the Pokémon games through to the end of Gen IV) actually suggested that maybe calling it “Mr. Mime” in English might not be a good idea in case genders were introduced in a sequel. Nintendo obviously didn’t listen to him, so now we have female Mr. Mime.

I wonder if they warned them about Sonansu as well. They didn't even bother trying to make that Pokemon work in the dub.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
[There's also "Geodude"

Using this train of thought, you'd also need to include Kingdra, Slaking, Slowking, etc. as they'd otherwise be called Queendra, etc.

Quote:
I wonder if they warned them about Sonansu as well. They didn't even bother trying to make that Pokemon work in the dub.

If the alternative was calling Wobuffet something like "Yaaas", "Ofcourse" or "Youbetcha", I'd rather it be a Wobba any day of the week.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

Bulbapedia has a list of 59 (so far, I'm sure that there's some that have been missed) that were in the movie, so the director is undercutting.

Yeah I think he was only counting the ones that physically appeared in the movie. Bulbapedia has Togepi which only appeared in an image looking exactly like it's anime form. Either way the point is that under 60 is not almost 100 like the article says.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

Yeah I think he was only counting the ones that physically appeared in the movie. Bulbapedia has Togepi which only appeared in an image looking exactly like it's anime form. Either way the point is that under 60 is not almost 100 like the article says.

Actually Togepi showed up for a few seconds in the arms of someone watching the Pokemon cage match. I kind of squeed when I saw it...
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
It showed up twice, but after the first viewing, I haven't managed to spot the second to see if it's the same one or not... (yes, I've seen it 3 times, lol)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2