• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Konohana Kitan BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually watch series like this at all, but something really drew me in to Konohana Kitan. Several episodes, including some mentioned in the review, made me a bit misty eyed, and i appreciated its sweet tone.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure that I agree with the blurb which states that it doesn't have lofty story ambitions. It absolutely does. I've seen a ton of iyashikei and cute-girl-doing-whatever shows and believe me, I know when a show does not have lofty story ambitions. The stories in Konohana Kitan are poignant and can be emotionally moving. Just because the series takes a more episodic format and doesn't have some grand overarching story doesn't mean that it lacks ambition. The last episode alone shows a great deal of care and thought has been put into what could have simply been a 'lets just watch cute fox girls' show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Konohana Kitan was one of the biggest surprises with me. Megiddo said most of what I already wanted to say, though. Quite a few episodes were just absolutely beautiful. I honestly would compare this show more to "Natsume Yuujinchou" without the violence more than I would compare it to any most other iyashikei and any "CGDCT" anime. It really is pretty unfair to label it as a "Cute girls doing.." anime, though they are cute. And it focuses on far more serious things than most "iyashikei" anime.

Also if anyone is expecting harder "Yuri" in this, there's really no sexual content. There's one scene I remember where they ate food in an erotic way but that was the worst of it. The yuri in this show was romantic and a joy to watch, but it also wasn't Yuzu's story so it wasn't a MAIN focus of the show, but rather was only 1 episode IIRC, maybe 2. So don't go in expecting A LOT of yuri romance, you'll be disappointed. It was a good episode(s) though.

Overall it's still easily one of my favorite anime of the last 5 years. I just wish there was more. I would watch Yuzu being amazing all day.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Gotta disagree about Yuzu in the dub. Lindsay Seidel and Dawn M. Bennett (Satsuki) were easily the best performances in the show. The boss was good as well (I forgot who voiced her though)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Ah, so this anime is now on home video. It's been about around a year and seven months since it broadcasted, and when I watch it. From what I remember the anime was relaxing as well as a bit sad at times. It was one of my favorite anime of Autumn 2017, but that is not saying much as I was not watching a lot of new anime at the time. I will pick this up sometime later in the year, and watch the U.S dub since I already seen the show in Japanese.

I was not aware this anime was an adaptation of two manga. I assume it was adapting one of the manga series. It would be interesting to see how the stories differ when I get to reading both the original manga and the current one being made and published.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

I was not aware this anime was an adaptation of two manga. I assume it was adapting one of the manga series. It would be interesting to see how the stories differ when I get to reading both the original manga and the current one being made and published.

It's Tokyopop. Better hope they don't drop it a few volumes from the end(the manga is still ongoing).
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
^ Alright.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Gotta disagree about Yuzu in the dub. Lindsay Seidel and Dawn M. Bennett (Satsuki) were easily the best performances in the show. The boss was good as well (I forgot who voiced her though)

Same, absolutely love dub Yuzu. She walks this fine line between really sugary sweet, but not sickeningly so.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aria, though I liked Konohana Kitan a lot more (I've only seen the first season of Aria). Come to think of it, my favorite episode of Aria - the visit to the past - was the most similar to this show.

CGDCT is my favorite genre, and in my mind its territory extends all the way out to a boundary line somewhere close to Haibane Renmei, and short of Gunslinger Girl, so the idea that it's "unfair" to call this show CGDCT is foreign to me.

https://imgur.com/a9Bbu20
https://imgur.com/XGpRj30
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1