• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Detective Pikachu Film Writers Talk Hypothetical Zelda, Smash Bros. Movies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Given that Zelda is an epic full of interesting characters and locations, I would totally be down for a movie based on it, though it might have to be animated (like the one the studio behind Nicolas Cage Astro Boy had planned) to truly get an accurate visual depiction of Hyrule.

I don't see Smash Bros anytime soon though. There's also the potential for an interesting story there after Subspace Emissary and World of Light, but there's way too many characters - most of whom are not household names - to have to deal with.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Given that Zelda is an epic full of interesting characters and locations, I would totally be down for a movie based on it, though it might have to be animated (like the one the studio behind Nicolas Cage Astro Boy had planned) to truly get an accurate visual depiction of Hyrule.

I don't see Smash Bros anytime soon though. There's also the potential for an interesting story there after Subspace Emissary and World of Light, but there's way too many characters - most of whom are not household names - to have to deal with.

Smash Bros would/could be what Ready Player One was supposed to be except without the idiot billionaire and definitely-not obligatory lovers trope.

I don't know much about Zelda so Smash Bros would be preferred.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The whole appeal of Zelda is really that YOU are Link, a "link" to the game and it's world. That's why Link doesn't talk. That's why it wouldn't work as anything except a video game.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather of the opinion Zelda should be an anime rather than a live action or westernized attempt on it. Maybe because I really like the cel shaded style of BOTW, Skyward Sword and Wind Waker but it feels right at home there. Mario honestly doesn't have material to flesh out a feature film, would be great as short animated CGI films to preceed features like a Zelda or Metroid film. Metroid I could go either live action or animated.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd only be okay with a Zelda movie if they keep the Meso-American Tron aesthetic some of the dungeons have going on instead of just making it bland medieval European stuff.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I'm rather of the opinion Zelda should be an anime rather than a live action or westernized attempt on it. Maybe because I really like the cel shaded style of BOTW, Skyward Sword and Wind Waker but it feels right at home there. Mario honestly doesn't have material to flesh out a feature film, would be great as short animated CGI films to preceed features like a Zelda or Metroid film. Metroid I could go either live action or animated.

Zelda makes more sense than Pocket Monsters. They whitewashed and blackwashed everyone in Detective Pikachu, but Zelda already takes place in a westernized setting so it would't be much of an issue. I would still prefer an anime, though.

Their talk about Smash Bros is essentially that they want a Nintendo Cinematic Universe like Marvel.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Zelda makes more sense than Pocket Monsters. They whitewashed and blackwashed everyone in Detective Pikachu, but Zelda already takes place in a westernized setting so it would't be much of an issue. I would still prefer an anime, though.

Uh... Detective Pikachu (the game) takes place in a London-type area. The same as the movie (just the movie is more of a metropolitan city than in the game). Heck, even the games have non-Japanese themed settings, such as Unova (based on NYC), Kalos (France), Alola (Hawaii), and Galar (seemingly Great Britain). Honestly, given that Ryme seems to be based on London, and Galar seems to be Great Britain, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually get to visit Ryme in Sword and Shield. But yeah, it's not a Japanese-based setting, so I don't get where you're getting white/blackwashed here. Tim in the movie isn't the same character as Tim in the game, either, so no claiming that one.

As for Zelda, IGN proved 10 years ago that live-action is perfectly plausible.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Tim in the movie isn't the same character as Tim in the game, either, so no claiming that one.

Couldn't you say that about any adaption? That just seems like a blanket statement to shut down any kind of criticism when people raise concerns over whitewashing. The movie uses the same characters and plot from the games, but felt the need to change their ethnicity and race. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out. Some people care, some don't.

I disagree with that trailer though The Legend of Zelda is not Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 am Reply with quote
Please make this a reality, please!
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:46 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Zelda makes more sense than Pocket Monsters. They whitewashed and blackwashed everyone in Detective Pikachu, but Zelda already takes place in a westernized setting so it would't be much of an issue.

Given the Detective Pikachu game characters like Harry Goodman and Roger Clifford, and the movie-only characters like Hideo Yoshida and Lucy Stevens, this claim of "everyone" seems incorrect.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
And they'd HAVE to be "hypothetical", seeing as there's no reason to make them--
We only got Detective Pikachu because Warner was buying the rights to the then-current game that Nintendo wanted to cross-promote in '16, and possibly using it to clean up any old leftover '99 memo about doing a live-action Pokemon themselves.

If there is one myth any fan needs to disabuse himself of, it's the "I Think It Might Be Fun to Run a Newspaper" Myth:
The idea that movie studios just woke up one morning and decided to make the movie because they thought it would be a Neat Idea.
(We have enough trouble burying that myth about Disney/Marvel and "Guardians of the Galaxy".)

Quote:
Samit referred to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, stating that Endgame's success hinged on the audience loving the heroes individually first.

And that, of course, would be the other myth for other producers to bury ("We can start our own universe, if we introduce the characters one by one!"), assuming Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" didn't already put it six feet under, years ago.
kamui85

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The whole appeal of Zelda is really that YOU are Link, a "link" to the game and it's world. That's why Link doesn't talk. That's why it wouldn't work as anything except a video game.

Link not talking doesn't mean it couldn't work as a movie.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember what the creators of South Park said when they were designing The Stick of Truth, namely their opinion that players are more immersed when characters don’t talk and people can project on them more (which is why the New Kid in the game is a mute). That’s why Link works, and why Miyamoto would destroy every film negative where a badly animated Link goes “Excuse me Princess!” if given the chance.

It’s also why it wouldn’t work as a film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1