• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - New Year's Revolutions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
:/
Maybe I'm a little biased because I think D.Gray-man is easily one of the best shonen manga ever written, but I cant help thinking C is a bit...mean. Personally I'd give every volume an A (or maybe B+ if I wanted to try to be less biased)
Although, from the sounds of it it seems that the flaws may actually lie in VIZ's english version. I never liked their english Jump titles, and I think this is an exact indicator why: large english sound effects get in the way and do make it hard to tell what is going on in action scenes. I have no problem with this in the japanese editions of the book I buy, I always know exactly what's going on in these scenes, so I can only guess that this is the problem. The few english jump series I've flipped through in the stores had me scratching my heads at what just happened in a fight screen as a large 'WHAM' or whatever was in the way.
Next time I'm in Kinokuniya, I might look at volume 7's english version and see for myself.

In any case, I think it was a really solid volume, but again, that's just me.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Guh. Is Dramacon really that great? I enjoyed 1 sporadically, but 2 made me seriously want to drive my head into the wall because it just felt so contrived. The jokes, the melodrama storyline, the whole "OEL Manga is better than fried cheese!" not!subtle insensible propaganda, the incessant parade of chibis... Well, if Carlo says volume 3 is good, I guess I'll check it out...

Will check out Sand Chronicles and VB Rose. They don't sound half bad!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
It's not just you.

I'm a long time RTO reader and the C just doesn't seem in line with what titles like D. Gray-man usually get. The C's are usually reserved for the somewhat funny harem manga and the like?

Some of the faults mentioned are very typical for shounen manga, it seems unfair to give it a C for just that. You can't be the hero of a shounen manga if your life doesn't suck. And most shounen series start their first long story arc somewhere between volume 5 and 10. Constant high tension? FMA does that as well and nobody seems to complain about that.

I'm not saying the reviewer is dead wrong, but a C does seem unfair if you compare DGM 7 to other manga that have recieved the same grade.
scortia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
I unfortunately have to agree with your Evidence Against for D. Gray-man. I'm up-to-date with the Japanese chapters and at this point I'm just confused and annoyed. STILL there's little break in fighting sequences and, despite how beautifully drawn those sequences are, half the time it's difficult to follow what the heck is happening. I just wish it'd take a nice break,.. we had a good 1-2 chapters of the good guys being forced to lie around because of injuries..., and slow down the neverending barage of attacks. I want more time to know the Earl and Noahs, to know the Exorcists and their inner-workings. *sigh*
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the series could use some more light hearted chapters. 3/4 through the Ark arc I was almost begging for a Komulin to show up. Hoshino is too preoccupied with telling the main story even though she draws those small moments and humorous events really well.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Have you watched the D.Gray-Man anime yet, Carlo? I think the anime does a better job in slowing down and giving the characters more development than the zip zip that the manga is going. Try that.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Have you watched the D.Gray-Man anime yet, Carlo? I think the anime does a better job in slowing down and giving the characters more development than the zip zip that the manga is going. Try that.

Saw Episode 1, didn't care enough to keep going.

Tamaria wrote:
I'm a long time RTO reader and the C just doesn't seem in line with what titles like D. Gray-man usually get. The C's are usually reserved for the somewhat funny harem manga and the like?

I grade on quality, not on genre.

Quote:
I'm not saying the reviewer is dead wrong, but a C does seem unfair if you compare DGM 7 to other manga that have recieved the same grade.

I don't do curves, either.

GO GO SHONEN JUMP DEFENSE FORCE! Maybe someday, you'll learn that not everybody likes your favorite series as much as you do.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
D Gray Man was enjoyable enough - the Time Loop section was particularly fun - but this volume is where the book fell apart completely.
It just stopped making any sense.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
:/
Maybe I'm a little biased because I think D.Gray-man is easily one of the best shonen manga ever written

That makes you a lot biased, not a little.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, touche.
But, I just wanted to share my view that perhaps the problem was in the english version.
Judging what Scortia said, this might not be the case.
Oh well, I personally dont find anything really difficult about it, and actually think the other characters are given enough depth at this moment for me to care about them. I do disagree with the 'always in danger' bit, I mean sure there wouldnt be much of a story if they werent, but the reason this current arc is so powerful (again, to me) is because this is the first time its been so...dramatic.

But oh well, I love this series far too much to get angry when people dont like it. I just sometimes find some 'evidence against' a little curious.

In other news, I totally want to see the candidate for Best Manga I've Ever Read probably alot more than previous ones (that I hadnt read).
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
After enjoying Dramacon Vols. 1 & 2 so much, all I can say is that I was terribly, terribly disappointed and let down with volume 3. Even more disappointed that it ended on such a disappointing note as well. (Double disappointment?) It could have been done so much better, with a little less dramatics thrown in....but that's just me, being an old codger and not a teenager. Razz
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
GO GO SHONEN JUMP DEFENSE FORCE! Maybe someday, you'll learn that not everybody likes your favorite series as much as you do.

You know, it’s pretty silly to jump on the "not everyone has to share your opinions" wagon just because people say that they disagree with your review. Just as you said, not everybody feels the same way about a series. If you didn't like it, fine. But they can disagree if they want can't they?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Patachu wrote:

You know, it’s pretty silly to jump on the "not everyone has to share your opinions" wagon just because people say that they disagree with your review. Just as you said, not everybody feels the same way about a series. If you didn't like it, fine. But they can disagree if they want can't they?

How dare he defend his opinion.

The Internet: it's okay to attack someone, and if they defend themselves, let's all act like they're dumb or arrogant.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Saw Episode 1, didn't care enough to keep going.

Tamaria wrote:

I grade on quality, not on genre.

That is not what I meant and on the other hand it is. I've seen manga which I consider to be of lower quality get C's as well.

And now that you mention it, reviewers are never completely objective. We simply can't be, because our personal preferences will always be there, even when we say we are ignoring them.

Quote:

I don't do curves, either.

GO GO SHONEN JUMP DEFENSE FORCE! Maybe someday, you'll learn that not everybody likes your favorite series as much as you do.[/quote]

Haha, I have four shounen jump series in my collection. D. Gray-man because it happens to be one of my favourite series, ditto for Death Note, I own some volumes of Bleach because the seller sold them for next to nothing and I buy Naruto because I think it is somewhat entertaining and because I need an excuse to buy Dutch manga. It's really not that much when you own 500+ volumes. I own stuff such as Yotsuba&!, STONe, Genshiken, Eden, The Embalmer and The Demon Ororon as well. To be frank, I prefer those titles over almost any shounen series.

I am also not saying you should DGM 7 an A just for being DGM. I had expected something higher than a C. A C+ or B. While I agree with your criticism, I don't think it was bad enough to warrant a C.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Patachu wrote:

How dare he defend his opinion.

The Internet: it's okay to attack someone, and if they defend themselves, let's all act like they're dumb or arrogant.

Ah yes, the Internet: if people say they disagree with someone's opinion they must be attacking him and saying that everyone has to agree with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2