• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otaku No Moe(Thoughts on 'NHK)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I give up!

I've tried to reason with you but it is quite clear now that you have no intention of considering another's viewpoint. All I've done is allow you to make childish comebacks and one line arguements. You have no basis for your reasoning besides little digs. Moreover, you simply hate this book and yet you devote yourself to arguing about on a daily basis. All I'm doing is enabling you.

To reply on your comments regarding the book, it is a vaild point that Satou does have one friend in the book. However, because the book is written from Satou's point of view we have no idea what another's hikikimori experience is. The only clues we have are the things that they do together. As for Satou's shame - there is no point in arguing this with you. You have made up your mind and no one can say otherwise. Next, the Japanese are interdependant culturally speaking (read a textbook). Once again you have selected a single incident in time without any basis for arguement. Do you live in Japan? Have you even been to Japan and conversed with locals (not tourist destinations)? Moreover, I fear that you have gathered your knowledge from manga and anime which is simply frightening.

Lastly, just because this is a culutral norm in the USA it is not in Japan. Are teachers required child abuse reporters in Japan? I don't know and neither do you. Also, many Japanese children walk home from school without their parents. As for camera lens angles, you're assuming too much again. He could be taking pictures of nature, birds, traffic, or anything else. Just because we know Satou is doing something perverted doesn't mean everyone else does. Moreover, the scene was supposed to be darkly humerous and you have taken it to another level. In fact the entire book is laced with dark humor that you have missed entirely and blown out of proportion.

As for your knowledge of criminal justice, you quite clearly watch CNN and believe it. If you actually studied these cases and watched something less biased like Court TV you might actually have a knowledge basis. I'll tell you I have a Master of Science in Criminology and currently work in the field of law enforcement. Your facts are off base and created from ill informed journalists seeking attention from the 5 o'clock news. One item in creating meth is also a pool cleaning supply which I buy. Have the police come ot my door or any of my neighbors or any of the thousands of people who purchase the item from Savemart or Leslie Pool supply? No. And this chemical is one of the main ingrediants in meth. I know because drug manufacturing is a class they give to work in law enforcement.

GATSU, you are deluded.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate the book. I just don't think it delivers on its hype. And my experience with their culture is that, while they have do close ties with family and friends, they tend to be more individualistic in their own achievements. That's why Satou is reluctant to ask for help; not because he's embarrassed to do so, but because he'll be viewed as less of a man if he does so. I don't live in Japan, but I have encountered native speakers from time to time, which is probably more than I can say for you.

I'm not sure about whether Japanese teachers are required by law to help children, but if the teachers knowingly let someone suspicious do something to the children without their consent under their watch, I'd imagine they'd be fired like anyone else. And just because the kids walk home from school doesn't mean there's no one around who knows them, or that there's no one who would be concerned about their well-being. You have a shallower view of the country than I do, if you think otherwise.

And FYI, I did "get" the humour, but then it just stops being funny, and starts being serious.

I'm also not sure why CNN is considered unbelievable. Are you one of those FOX cavemen or something? Court TV is about as informative as "The People's Court". Oh, and Criminology is to Law what Sociology is to Medicine: handy, but not the same thing. As for the pool-cleaning supply, if you buy it individually, that's fine, but if you buy everything at once, people will get suspicious.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's why Satou is reluctant to ask for help; not because he's embarrassed to do so, but because he'll be viewed as less of a man if he does so. I don't live in Japan, but I have encountered native speakers from time to time, which is probably more than I can say for you.

Court TV is about as informative as "The People's Court". Oh, and Criminology is to Law what Sociology is to Medicine: handy, but not the same thing.

Ah, GATSU thank you for proving my point. I finally had to insult you to stay what your position was and in all honesty it was something I would have loved to discuss with you. Had you just WRITTEN something other than a comeback. Also, my dear, I have met with and spent entire semesters with native Japanese students, but it is very much like you to assume I hadn't.

Lastly, I feel the need to defend myself from such an errorous statement. One pre-law students take Criminology. They are related. Criminology is not a psydeoscience. It is the study of criminal law and law enforcement activities. I'm not sure how you put Sociology and Medicine (Pre-med) together so I can't comment on the relationship. Also, while Court TV has morphed in TruTV (a sad, sad thing) Court TV has no relationship to People's Court. Court TV broadcasted court hearings without interruption or comment. People's Court is edited, CIVIL suits. Also, both FOX NEWS (which is the network I assumed you meant) and CNN are crap. Any news program is biased. Your regular 5 o'clock local news anchor does a better job than either of these.

Good-bye.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
fresno:
Quote:
Also, my dear, I have met with and spent entire semesters with native Japanese students, but it is very much like you to assume I hadn't.

You're certainly acting like you haven't done it...

Quote:
One pre-law students take Criminology. They are related.

Probably loosely related.

Quote:
Also, while Court TV has morphed in TruTV (a sad, sad thing) Court TV has no relationship to People's Court.

They cover just as much pointless trash as People's Court.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3