• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Science Website Calculates Price of Building Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
Gezz pay $730 billions for a gigant action figure... what a waste of money!!!

Not just a giant action figure -- but one that moves. Yet, I don't see a price tag applies to munitions. Twisted Evil
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Over $720 million for a life size Gundam? Damn! That would be something else to see on EBay.
DarkMirage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
2.1 billion dollars for a single B2 is calculated by taking the entire cost of the research and construction project and dividing it by the total number of B2 delivered. Since B2 production numbers were dramatically cut at the end of the cold war, the figure is artificially inflated.

On the other hand, this price estimation of constructing a Gundam does not take into account of the R&D costs, which will probably push the per-unit cost into the billion territory.
One wing angle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
Gundam is cool, but for practical purposes i would invest that money in a Tachikoma, a much more versatile robot, who multiple advantages in the battlegrounds and conflictive fields.

Gezz pay $730 billions for a gigant action figure... what a waste of money!!! If at least they include some weapons, it might be an interesting inversion for the military bodies. Anyway, how can we think about spending $730 billion on a freakin robot to kill more people, when millions are dying for hunger, illness or wars.

I read once that if the world invest all the military budgets on health, enviroment, education, housing and the all the basic needs of mankind, every social issue will be solved in less than 10 years.

Off course, save mankind is not as exciting as kick butts with a giant robot!!!

thank you!!!
there much better uses for that kinda money, and if you where spending it on killer robots as far as battle field efficiency goes, their are much better ones to base them off of.
pcube19622

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
just to make it clear...it is not 7xxbillion US dollars, its in yen...which is japanese money..that is worth 79.5 million US dollars.

If they can really make a kick-ass robot like an animated gundam...it would be a lot better than creating a killer B-29 bomber (just you know...B-29 bombers are used to drop atomic bombs, which was in use during the second world war). Isn't it worth a lot more to make a function killer figure...than spend 80million US dollars to make a bomb that is only good for once and disappears with rest of the Earth.

Well just my opinion.....
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
So, who wants to start the Paypal donation account? You'd be contributing to one of the greatest advances in anime-to-reality history... Well, outside of Massive Cosplaying HHY/LS Group Dancers Anime hyper

I also suggest we hold American Idol-style tryouts for a plucky young fellow as the fiery novice pilot. I'm tired of emo-kids having all the fun. Let's return to the "moeru" days of mecha with this one... (And no, I'm not talking about Lacus...) When someone creates a mecha that looks like Freedom/Eva Unit 01/Lancelot, bring out all the God-modded/wimps/Suzakus you can find...

[/ramble]
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
I agree about the tachikoma. The whole idea of building something like this would be to overcome human limitations. You'd think with the American military industrial complex nonsense there'd be some kind of cybernetic tank rolling around. Maybe humans are just cheaper.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
jay saenz wrote:
Gundam is cool, but for practical purposes i would invest that money in a Tachikoma, a much more versatile robot, who multiple advantages in the battlegrounds and conflictive fields.

And they get along with the elderly Wink

I wonder how much it would actually cost to build a fully functional tachikoma. They're a lot smaller than a gundam, but the A.I. would probably cost millions to develop on its own. 'Cause seriously, what's the point of owning a tachikoma if it doesn't sound like Tamagawa Sakiko and say adorable, mind-boggling things all the time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
IIRC, the US military tried making gundams a few decades ago. The project was dropped since giant robots aren't practical. Their weak points are always the legs, which can't be strongly protected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
jay saenz wrote:
Gundam is cool, but for practical purposes i would invest that money in a Tachikoma

And they get along with the elderly Wink

I wonder how much it would actually cost to build a fully functional tachikoma. They're a lot smaller than a gundam, but the A.I. would probably cost millions to develop on its own.

Given their puzzle-solving capabilities, gregariousness and general intelligence, you'd need Strong A.I., and no one knows if that's even possible yet. Some argue that it isn't.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
Leuconoe wrote:

Given their puzzle-solving capabilities, gregariousness and general intelligence, you'd need Strong A.I., and no one knows if that's even possible yet. Some argue that it isn't.

Although technically, in the context of the anime, the tachikomas weren't originally built with the capability to think individually and all of that other junk that makes them so endearing; their A.I. evolved as they synchronized data with each other over and over. I'm not entirely sure that that's physically possible, though.

Maybe we should just start out with uchikomas and see where it goes from there Razz

Or heck, screw all of this! While we're on the subject of mecha, I want a Guges!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
anybody notice the little flub on pinktentacle's article? they put in too much superfluous information. judging by the stats given (roughly 18 meters tall, and 43.4 metric tons) the suit is most likely the original RX-78, so why even mention gundarium alloy? that's an entirely Wing-based continuity material. the RX-78-2 is composed of lunar titanium alloy, and in the original japanese article (unless i missed it while scanning through) there's not a single mention of gundarium anywhere to be found. weird that they'd toss it in...

still, it's a crazy article. if only there weren't a shortage of mad scientists in this world who would be willing to give it a go...
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
I think we should foxus on building power suits first, and then scale up from there in fact [url=animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-05/japan's-gundam-personal-equipment-system-revealed]In fact...[/url]

Now all we need power armor and power swords(that glow)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:
that's an entirely Wing-based continuity material. the RX-78-2 is composed of lunar titanium alloy, and in the original japanese article (unless i missed it while scanning through) there's not a single mention of gundarium anywhere to be found. weird that they'd toss it in...

True that the RX-78 is made of Lunar Titanium, but the UC based Zeta is made of Gundarium as were most MS from then up until F-91 which used a Gundarium Ceramic compound if I remember correctly.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
Now all we need power armor and power swords(that glow)

And angst-ridden, genetically engineered children to pilot them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3