• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kite Sequel to Ship Nearly Simultaneously in Japan, U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, it has a dub and is only $23? This blows apart BVUSA's justifications for charging $40-50 for their sub only titles that are being released so soon (3 years for Gunbuster 2?) after their Japanese date. It is really sad that MS Igloo is from 2006 yet they still use the "brand new" excuse to charge $50.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget the reason that this is happening... It's not "good will" or even purposeful... It's because the Japanese are having production issues on their end which is pushing back the deadline.

If it weren't for that, then this wouldn't be happening. Hell, I bet that they're all worried about this now and are pressuring the R1 company to push back their release date accordingly (but since it was a co-production they probably won't be able to force them).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Wow, it has a dub and is only $23? This blows apart BVUSA's justifications for charging $40-50 for their sub only titles that are being released so soon (3 years for Gunbuster 2?) after their Japanese date. It is really sad that MS Igloo is from 2006 yet they still use the "brand new" excuse to charge $50.
You didn't really believe that BS from BVUSA did you? Their prices have never had anything to do with the speed of the release; their prices have had everything to do with getting maximum profit from a minimal number of hardcore fans. They've seen the state of the industry here in R1 land and it's pretty terrible thanks to a number of fans who either can't or won't buy anything and who only buy the absolute most popular shows when they do.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what if any effect this might have on fansubs since the release dates are so close together and the long wait between Japanese releases and R1 releases is something that's cited often as a rationale for fansubs. (Not that I don't expect to see them up in droves during that short few day window.)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
One should never underestimate the speed of Chinese subbers or speed subbers. Since Grrl Power wasn't the greatest of titles, associating this and Kite Liberator together won't help Kite Liberator at all imo.

Kite Liberator has a larger target audience and can be sold at a lower price imo.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Anyway, I'm curious to see what if any effect this might have on fansubs since the release dates are so close together and the long wait between Japanese releases and R1 releases is something that's cited often as a rationale for fansubs. (Not that I don't expect to see them up in droves during that short few day window.)

If there is a any TV airing of the OVA prior to the DVD release, then it'll be fansubbed at that time. If not, I don't think it will be.

Unless there's some speed subber group with extra time on it's hands, subbing an entire DVD's worth of episodes in 4 days is a lot of work, only to be "beaten" by the DVD ripping groups that will probably release on day 5. There's no point to fansubbing it, in my opinion... Plus Kite's fanbase is not really that big in the hardcore fansubbing croud, I think it appeals more to older anime fans since the original came out in the 90s.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
But online purchasers will get their copies before the release date. So in theory, a DVD rip can be available before the official release date. This is now more likely since R1 and R2 release dates are so close.

This can be a repeat of the Akane Maniax debacle. Rip available before release date. The sad extension being that people may return their bought copies because they saw the rip/sub/etc.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But online purchasers will get their copies before the release date. So in theory, a DVD rip can be available before the official release date. This is now more likely since R1 and R2 release dates are so close.

This can be a repeat of the Akane Maniax debacle. Rip available before release date. The sad extension being that people may return their bought copies because they saw the rip/sub/etc.

Hmm, that brings up an interesting point... Say that a show later on really DOES get a simultaneous release date (like, maybe Gundam 00)... In the US, online shops often send out things before release dates, but I'm pretty sure that DOESN'T happen in Japan. So that means people in R1 would get the DVDs before the Japanese do, meaning that the hardest core Japanese who want things as soon as possible might reverse import the R1 because they can get it quicker?

I wonder if this is a significant worry for the Japanese companies for simultaneous releases.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Let's not forget the reason that this is happening... It's not "good will" or even purposeful... It's because the Japanese are having production issues on their end which is pushing back the deadline.

If it weren't for that, then this wouldn't be happening. Hell, I bet that they're all worried about this now and are pressuring the R1 company to push back their release date accordingly (but since it was a co-production they probably won't be able to force them).

Given MB's been showing the trailer on DVD's and on their website for quite awhile now, and Sirabella's comments regarding Liberator on AnimeonDVD, I'd say they'd always intended to ship it simulataneouly.

If there wasn't a delay, we'd be getting the Liberator DVD now rather then in March. The fact that we're getting it only 4 days afterwards despite the delay says a lot about how quickly MB intended to get it to market, whenever it finished production [otherwise, we'd be getting it in the summer months].

I don't think reverse importing is a major concern for japanese producers, as this was funded by a US company, and MB owns a fair amount of the rights- given it's coproduction nature, they're probably looking to big sales in the US to make a profit. So, japanese sales are less of a concern, since Japan in this case isnt' the primary market, and just another outlet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Shops in the UK won't take back DVDs if the wrapper and security tag has been damaged unless it's a technical issue and that will be exchange only, so that won't work here. Can't say what the US shops policy is on returns, but I'd be surprised if it was much different. If a fansub pops up before these release dates that will just prove without a doubt that they are nothing more than scurvy bootleggers who give it away for free, and are not the fan and industry heros they profess to be. I hope that doesn't happen and that the Japanese see a benefit from this and start putting more of their new releases out like this. This does set a precedent that all the other studios will find hard to reject as unworkable.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Shops in the UK won't take back DVDs if the wrapper and security tag has been damaged unless it's a technical issue and that will be exchange only, so that won't work here. Can't say what the US shops policy is on returns, but I'd be surprised if it was much different. If a fansub pops up before these release dates that will just prove without a doubt that they are nothing more than scurvy bootleggers who give it away for free, and are not the fan and industry heros they profess to be. I hope that doesn't happen and that the Japanese see a benefit from this and start putting more of their new releases out like this. This does set a precedent that all the other studios will find hard to reject as unworkable.

It's so close that all you really need is a DVD rip. Since the release date is so close, an R1 source for the rip is highly likely before the release date. The purchaser buys the DVD, sees the rip from an online source and then returns the unopened DVD. That's the sad scenario that I was hinting at.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

It's so close that all you really need is a DVD rip. Since the release date is so close, an R1 source for the rip is highly likely before the release date. The purchaser buys the DVD, sees the rip from an online source and then returns the unopened DVD. That's the sad scenario that I was hinting at.

Well, people who just get it off DVD rips will get it that way regardless of how soon it comes out.

This is a great way to not give an excuse for fansubbers to sub it. More companies need to do stuff like this, almost simultaneous releases, downloads, etc, because fansubbing won't go away anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Unless you're a person who actually likes DVD's [ie- an official copy], and supporting your hobby.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested in buying this DVD on the release date. The more "conscious" fansubbers won't sub this because it will be licensed, so the DVD will be one of the first places to get it. Hopefully, MB will do a LE version to hype it up a bit.

Other companies should take note of this. Something different has to be done, and soon, to change the course of things.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to BV, Kite's a little less niche than Honneamise...Plus MB's fronting some of the money out of their own pocket, while BV funds most of their anime titles alone.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
Hopefully, MB will do a LE version to hype it up a bit. .

There aren't any limited editions of Kite Liberator solicited, but MB is releasing two special editions of the original Kite- a Mezzo/Kite 2-disc DVD set with the edited versions, and another set with the unedited versions of the OVA's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2