• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Releases Sakura Wars, Orphen TV Anime on BD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
Image suggests (and studio page confirms) that the Sakura Wars release is standard definition on BD; probably should have been noted in the article.

EDIT: corrected link

Last edited by invalidname on Thu May 16, 2019 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
With a new Sakura Wars game coming, and the fact I have not delve into the series, I guess I could pick up this blueray later this year. It feels like good timing Sentai Filmworks is releasing this anime given upcoming Sakura Wars game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote
Man, they already made me buy Waiting in the Summer twice, due to a re-release having the OVA. Now they've dubbed it...eh, don't know if I'll go in a third time. Had no idea they were doing a dub. I wonder if we'll end up seeing a trailer pop up eventually?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Sakura Wars TV series but would like to see the OVAs back in print.

Also Orphen is great.

Definite buys for me.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Image suggests (and studio page confirms) that the Sakura Wars release is standard definition on BD; probably should have been noted in the article.

Probably the case for Orphen as well, that hasn't gotten a BD version back in Japan either.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
When it comes to sub-only releases from Sentai, Waiting in the Summer is not high on my lists of titles that I think need a dub. I'm not sure if I should Sakura Wars another go at some point, I stopped about 5 episodes in because it was mind numbingly boring.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
that's a little annoying. I finally bought Waiting in the Summer during their mother's day sale and of course a few days later a dub is announced. Same thing happened with Oregairu
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
I was really hoping Orphen would get a proper HD blu-ray release but it will most likely be SD so I'm disappointed. I'd love to be surprised and proven wrong.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
I will happily tripledip for Waiting in the Summer because it is one of my all time favorite anime series. I wanted to see an English dub since I first watched it. I hope the casting is well done and the dub is a strong effort. A nice LE would have made this rerelease fantastic.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
When it comes to sub-only releases from Sentai, Waiting in the Summer is not high on my lists of titles that I think need a dub.

That’s been a problem of Sentai’s for a while: the shows they dub tend to be randomized and involve shows that are far from popular rather than shows that ARE popular and can build an even greater audience via a dub. Granted, there are a lot of exceptions, but apparently Sakura Wars (purely based on popularity and not quality) is not one of them.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I enjoyed the Sakura Wars TV series but would like to see the OVAs back in print.

Also Orphen is great.

Definite buys for me.

I felt the TV series was very boring and didn't keep it. I traded it in for store-credit when online stores did that sort of thing. It was also significantly lower production-value than the OVAs and looked it, too.

The OVAs have the highest-production values of the Sakura Wars franchise and are much better. They've also remastered the original OVAs in high-definition and have re-released them in Japan. The high-definition snippets I've heard of the SW theme are fantastic quality, much better than the DVD releases.

Why the OVAs haven't been re-licensed I have no idea. I hope they're not being held hostage for higher licensing fees or because someone thinks they won't sell in the West. They're much better than the TV series.
They released all but the last Sakura Wars OVA series in the US. The one and only Sakura Wars game officially licensed for the West was based on the OVA that was never released abroad... The characters everybody cares about are the main protagonists of the first two OVA series and the Sakura Wars movie.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Now there's a series that's making a comeback. Sakura Wars, it's been awhile. But I could've sworn they released something awhile back. I think it was the movie.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Funimation re-released the movie.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Getchaman wrote:
that's a little annoying. I finally bought Waiting in the Summer during their mother's day sale and of course a few days later a dub is announced. Same thing happened with Oregairu

I suspect that's by design. "Let's put these sub-only discs on sale and get rid of our stock, since they're not going to sell once people know there's a dub on the way."

Gemnist wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
When it comes to sub-only releases from Sentai, Waiting in the Summer is not high on my lists of titles that I think need a dub.

That’s been a problem of Sentai’s for a while: the shows they dub tend to be randomized and involve shows that are far from popular rather than shows that ARE popular and can build an even greater audience via a dub. Granted, there are a lot of exceptions, but apparently Sakura Wars (purely based on popularity and not quality) is not one of them.
We can't really judge Sakura Wars by Sentai's patterns, since it was dubbed back in the "ADV Dubs Everything" era.

Usually, the fandom laments when franchises are in the "1st series dubbed, sequels sub-only" condition, like with Big Wind-Up. I'd say Waiting in the Summer qualifies as a sequel/spinoff to a pre-existing franchise whose earlier parts (Please Teacher! / Please Twins!) are dubbed, and Sentai's apparently choosing to rectify the situation.

I might pick up the new Blu-Rays for it, as I only ever bought the DVDs. Pre-2013 JC Staff shows generally didn't "need" Blu-Ray, and I figured I didn't need to buy the previous BDs just for the OVA, since there were other ways to watch that.

Levonr wrote:
I was really hoping Orphen would get a proper HD blu-ray release but it will most likely be SD so I'm disappointed. I'd love to be surprised and proven wrong.

Both Orphen and Sakura Wars are listed here as being SD-BD, a format that Sentai still hasn't gotten quite right, based on comments on other releases. Season 1 could look pretty good on HD BD, but I don't know if anything could salvage Revenge -- the Orphen franchise thus far is a case study on how late-stage cel animation can look significantly better than early digipaint.

GeorgeC wrote:
They released all but the last Sakura Wars OVA series in the US. The one and only Sakura Wars game officially licensed for the West was based on the OVA that was never released abroad...
New York NY isn't the only Sakura Wars OVA missing a Western release; Ecole de Paris came out from Funimation, but no one ever released Le Nouveau Paris.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

EDIT: corrected link

Then what's the point? Earning an extra margin on the Blu-ray format? Hoping to deceive a few gullible fans who think they're buying a remaster?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2