• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Wise Man's Grandchild Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
this is generic, ridiculous, stupid and without imagination,and even so it is much better that the atheist of the shield. I'm serious.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Shieldbro has a ton of problematic issues, but at least it isn't as boring as watching paint dry. Seriously, Wise Man's Grandchild just feels like a super boring copy of Harry Potter to me ... total snooze fest.

If anyone is even remotely interested in the premise, just watch Familiar of Zero.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
trans-dimensional reincarnation as your door to the limitless bounds of fantasy, and then proceed to nail your feet to the floor by making everything a video game or making everything high school.

Because they're easier to write and are the most recognized themes for Japan's webnovel crowd. High school is obvious, since it appeals to the youth culture slant of animanga consumers. Video game elements, I think, came into fashion with works like Log Horizon and Death March, which openly use game mechanics as part of the plot structure. Plus some authors are avid RPG players.

Also some quality isekai come out from time, like The Ride on King, where a Vladimir-
Putin-looking fighter/dictator gets sent to isekai following a botched attempt on his life...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this "review", When I read this manga I found it pretty boring and uninspired, so I freaked out a bit when I noticed it was getting decent weekly reviews. Now this article is more consistent with my experience with this franchise.

zztop wrote:

Also some quality isekai come out from time, like The Ride on King, where a Vladimir-
Putin-looking fighter/dictator gets sent to isekai following a botched attempt on his life...

Yeah, that guy is totally not-vladimir putin.

Regarding isekai as a whole, we really do get one isekai manga that is about a store that sells modern world conveniences for profit, and it was pretty much the store equivalent of the isekai bar/restaurant ones that alreayd got animes; but one of the store owners' friends almost gets killed bya rival kingdom and she suddenyl goes full military.

Then we got reincarnated as a (OP) kitten; which is both cute and sexy and weird.

And next season we get arifureta which is exactly what the people who misunderstoond shield hero tought it would be.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Shieldbro has a ton of problematic issues, but at least it isn't as boring as watching paint dry. Seriously, Wise Man's Grandchild just feels like a super boring copy of Harry Potter to me ... total snooze fest.

If anyone is even remotely interested in the premise, just watch Familiar of Zero.

if is more or less boring is just an opinion, the fact here is that it is more congruent in writing.

About Familiar of Zero, it is not so similar since the protagonist is not a student but the "slave" of Louise, besides that anime highlights above all things the exaggerated tsundere aspect of the girl which leads to many scenes of comedy with violence excessive and cruelty that are also very repetitive gags.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Isekai and magic high school. Rayearth did that and added giant robots. Go for the fences dammit if you’re gonna mix genres!
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I love it when my weapon has a giant easy-to-press-on-accident button that jettisons the blade directly into my face

*spits out drink*

lmao
Echii

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I enjoying this and Shield Hero a lot
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is anyone out there who fondly remembers watching Absolute Duo? Or Sky Wizards Academy? Or Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle?

Ah, yes, I do fondly remember Absolute Duo's... opening and (the first two?) endings. I also really digged Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle's ending theme. -b
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle?
Krulcifer :ok_hand:

Decent IS clone as they go.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Wait is there really 4 isekai next season?! I feel like at this point after the first big hit the magic highschool genre was already well on its way to dying, how come isekai is sticking around so much? Can we please get a new flavor already, preferably one which isn't a power fantasy with a side of slavery.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
You know, Netflix, you can just give us more Lost Song.

You know, an actual fantasy show that didn't requre any isekai bullcrap.

And yes, I still remember you guys insulting it. Ya'll are bitches.
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't understand why the main character had to die and be reincarnated into another world when this story seems like it could have done without that detail. It just seems so pointless. Are people really so desperate for escapism nowadays that all of these stories have to start with getting hit by a truck and reincarnating into yet another generic (power) fantasy world, no matter how little it matters to the plot?
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand why the main character had to die and be reincarnated into another world when this story seems like it could have done without that detail. It just seems so pointless. Are people really so desperate for escapism nowadays that all of these stories have to start with getting hit by a truck and reincarnating into yet another generic (power) fantasy world, no matter how little it matters to the plot?

Escapism has always been a theme in anime, whether it's a digger living underground who dreams of seeing the surface or a group of kids living in a city who dream of seeing the sea. So long as you have a character whose present situation is boring or unpleasant and wants to escape it, that's esccapism
Number 6

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Quote:

Don't go suggesting that because of the "slavery apologia" thing that Nick talks about. You know, Saito was Louise's slave. Don't wanna risk offending people nowadays *rolls eyes*. Wait, that only matters if it's a girl. Nevermind.

Quote:
Is anyone out there who fondly remembers watching Absolute Duo? Or Sky Wizards Academy? Or Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle?

I didn't see Sky Wizards Academy, but I personally remember the other two. Absolute Duo was the first "shield bro" that I've seen while I've even been reading Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle's light novel. It only got better.

Oggers wrote:

Quote:

Don't blame the show and society for your own lack of attention. Could it have been done that way? Yes. But the reason here is that the MC uses his knowledge of physics, chemistry, etc..., of his other life to do magic. That is part of the reason he's so powerful. Well, he's still a Gary Stu, either way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3