• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Director Mamoru Oshii Creates New Anime Series for 2020

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
Please, for the love of God, don't be full CGI. It frustates me to no end that the director of 3 of the most beautifully handrawn films ever made (Angel's Egg, GITS and Patlabor 2) has pretty much gone full CGI in the last 15 years or so...
If this actually turns out to be 2D then my expectations are going to sky rocket... let's be cautiously optimistic for now
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 am Reply with quote
Wow. It’s been a while since we’ve had some new Oshii anime and a tv series at that. Looking forward to this, even if it’s CGI.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
More than wether it will be 2D or 3D, I'm wondering if it will be a full series. Might as well be another micro-series like Sand Whale and Me.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm very interested to see what this will be; Oshii is easily on my shortlist of favorite anime directors.

I must admit I love his 2D work like Angel's Egg and GitS 1995, but I don't have a problem with his CG works. I find the visuals in Innocence more impressive than the first GitS; it has a number of amazing scenes. Avalon was excellent too.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Please, for the love of God, don't be full CGI. It frustates me to no end that the director of 3 of the most beautifully handrawn films ever made (Angel's Egg, GITS and Patlabor 2) has pretty much gone full CGI in the last 15 years or so...
If this actually turns out to be 2D then my expectations are going to sky rocket... let's be cautiously optimistic for now

You and I both know it'll be CGI.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
He has the same problem with his recent work that a lot of older directors have, 3DCG, no idea why, but they just seem to love it. And something like that can sink even the most promising of titles.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Awesome! It's been way too long.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
He has the same problem with his recent work that a lot of older directors have, 3DCG, no idea why, but they just seem to love it. And something like that can sink even the most promising of titles.
I think they see it as "innovative" which is something a lot care more about than they do the actual result.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Get prepared for another beautiful mess. I'm talking about you 'Assault Girls'. Well, Oshii is a genius in his own right. Whatever he makes is going to be beautiful.

I'll admit it has been awhile hearing from him.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Get prepared for another beautiful mess. I'm talking about you 'Assault Girls'. Well, Oshii is a genius in his own right. Whatever he makes is going to be beautiful.

I'll admit it has been awhile hearing from him.

He pretty much stop doing anime and switched to live action. Hopefully if the company managed to hire him it was by throwing a load of money at him so they might have enough to justify traditional animation with similar quality to his 90 stuff, but that's doubtful.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, I would absolutely LOVE a 2D/CG hybrid as beautiful and lavish as Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

Do it Oshii!
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Let me guess, Ghost in the Shell 2020 right?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Hopefully if the company managed to hire him it was by throwing a load of money at him so they might have enough to justify traditional animation with similar quality to his 90 stuff, but that's doubtful.
Or a low budget so he can't afford to bring on a CG team.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
While I would prefer it to be 2D over CGI, I enjoyed Sky Crawlers which I think looked better than a lot of modern attempts at CGI anime.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Let me guess, Ghost in the Shell 2020 right?

Not likely. They would have announced that when they announced the other producers and directors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2