• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Launches English Manga Imprint in Fall 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloodstrain

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Soul Eater is getting a rerelease =O. I pray for hardcovers.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Yen Press still has rights to Soul Eater last I saw. Are they both publishing it or something? Maybe this time as an omnibus or hardback? It just seems weird to republish it when Yen’s are still in circulation.
Cool to finally see Hi Score Girl manga in English though.
HamsterExAstris

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Yen Press still has rights to Soul Eater last I saw. Are they both publishing it or something? Maybe this time as an omnibus or hardback?

The original press release mentions that it will be the "complete edition", so yes, that does sound like some sort of omnibus rerelease.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hope it works out - always good to have more content available. And Hi Score Girl is definitely going straight onto my "buy" list as soon as I can get it.

LegitPancake wrote:
Yen Press still has rights to Soul Eater last I saw. Are they both publishing it or something? Maybe this time as an omnibus or hardback? It just seems weird to republish it when Yen’s are still in circulation.
Cool to finally see Hi Score Girl manga in English though.

Yeah, Yen Press still has Soul Eater listed on their website with links to buy copies, so that's odd. Unless SqEn has negotiated a buyback of the rights that kicks in at some future date, like three months from now or something. Makes me wonder if this venture is successful if SqEn would pull an Aniplex and start reclaiming more of their own manga down the road - Yen Press publishes quite a few of their titles right now (Black Butler, Nozaki-kun, Akame ga Kill, Watamote, Barakamon, Saki, etc.) so that would put a decent-sized dent in their catalog if that happened.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Yeah, Yen Press still has Soul Eater listed on their website with links to buy copies, so that's odd. Unless SqEn has negotiated a buyback of the rights that kicks in at some future date, like three months from now or something.

ANN's news article doesn't go into detail, but apparently Square-Enix is going to release omnibuses for Soul Eater. So Yen Press would still have the license for the original individual volumes, which wouldn't infringe on S-E doing omnibuses. I would imagine, though, that once Yen's license for Soul Eater expires, then S-E won't bother renewing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Not that I need them as I have all 13 English-translated volumes already but I wonder if this means that Square-Enix will re-publish the first 12 volumes of WataMote/No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! as omnibuses if they're also going to do that for Soul Eater?

The WataMote manga has had a resurgence of popularity in Japan lately and omnibuses might help expand the English-language audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
Oooh, I hope they'll release some of the Shonan Gangan stuff that never got a proper English release before! Like Blast of Tempest (since so much of that Kyo Shirodaira's other manga is out in English, this is one of the few that isn't).

Shame for Yen Press though, a lot of the Square stuff was their bread and butter. No more Kingdom Hearts manga for them, most likely.
Takeshi13

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Look like Viz Media about to give back FMA physical copy to Square enix since they are the original publisher of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1