• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Game of Thrones' George R. R. Martin Has Consulted on Japanese Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
That's not all. Reports indicate that it's a collab with FromSoftware too.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:33 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised he's working with Japanese studio does anyone know the title of the game? Or info on the game. JRpg?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:38 am Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:
Kind of surprised he's working with Japanese studio does anyone know the title of the game? Or info on the game. JRpg?

Rumors indicate it's a collab with FromSoftware. An open-world game involving Horse riding.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 am Reply with quote
I like to imagine that he also paid a visit to Kentaro Miura to share a laugh about how their series will never end.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I like to imagine that he also paid a visit to Kentaro Miura to share a laugh about how their series will never end.

LOL, that would be memorable. Both of them drinking beer and eating copious amounts of food and laughing their asses off. I wonder what Martin would make out of playing Idolmaster though?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
I never watched Game of Thrones or read any novel written by Martin, but it seems that he's very good at creating fantasy worlds, I believe that a game similar to Dark Souls with his unique style of worldbuilding can be great
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
he seems pretty busy for someone who should just finish those damn books already...he knows he's at a age where he can't just take his time to fool around,right?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
he seems pretty busy for someone who should just finish those damn books already...he knows he's at a age where he can't just take his time to fool around,right?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
He’s 70.

He claims to be working on several pitches for HBO that have nothing to do with Westeros.

Those damn books are never gonna be finished.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
From what I have heard, he wrote himself into a corner; while the HBO ending is where the GOT novels are going to end; the way it gets to that end is not the same.apparently he killed a character that he needed to push the plot forward and he can't still find a satisfactory way to solve that problem.
King Pickle the Wise

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
From what I have heard, he wrote himself into a corner; while the HBO ending is where the GOT novels are going to end; the way it gets to that end is not the same.apparently he killed a character that he needed to push the plot forward and he can't still find a satisfactory way to solve that problem.

The show stopped following the books years ago, and Martin distanced himself from the show back then as well. Although I'm sure he still loves the paychecks they give him Razz
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

Like that makes you any more entitled to his works.

His ball, his court.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Hikifroggy wrote:

Rumors indicate it's a collab with FromSoftware. An open-world game involving Horse riding.

Going from rumors, the title being developed by FROM is called (or codenamed) 'Great Rune', is open-world, explorable on horse, and uses Norse mythology.

It might debut during Microsoft's upcoming E3 conference.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Resurrection seems to work just fine for the plot line, can't imagine why pulling some lord-of-light-ex-machina at this point would be an issue.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

Like that makes you any more entitled to his works.

His ball, his court.

Uh, no, both mindsets need to stop.

Neil Gaiman once said, "Martin is not your b****." Fair enough.....but we're not his either.

If Martin had been focused on books 6 and 7 this whole time, fair enough, even if it's crazy that it would take a decade or more to write a single book. He needs to learn to stop thinking he needs to perfect the first draft (like, does he know how drafts work?) which is evident when he met Stephen King and couldn't seem to understand how King just writes without worrying so much and revises later.

But that's not what happened. He's written a prequel/history book, is working on another, spent time working on the show occasionally, and now this. Like, come on. Furthermore, it's not just rude to the book fans, but also his own publishing company. You know how we laugh when we see that agent constantly try to get in touch with Shigure to get his manuscript? Well, IRL it wouldn't be that funny, the publishing company expects Martin to focus on what they're waiting on and it feels like he just gets to do whatever he wants. So heaven forbid he get some fan pushback. Death threats and full toxicity aren't acceptable, but some reasonable criticism is not out of line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2