• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy gone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
I dropped this show. Lackluster direction, bad CG animation and boring writing are to blame.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Starting to get "Sirius The Jaeger" vibes with this...and thats not a good thing.

Sirius the Jaeger was a great show.

It sure is...if you need to catch up on sleep. That show was painfully boring with abyssmal worldbuilding and flat as a board characters.

Uh did we watch the same show? Maybe it just sounded better in dub then I guess cause the characters seemed great and it had a decent enough plot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Oi, dat penis tower Cain lives in...

This hops around way too much. I can't keep track of where they are from a 1 sec captions on the screen, with no map to ground the locations relative to each other. And not just place hopping, but time too. There are so many flashbacks. This week we had a flashback within a flashback. Is everyone in this on acid or something?

Vice Minister of Fairies is a helluva job title. Smile

I know a series is in real trouble when the reviews are more fun and/or interesting than the episodes. I'm not sure how much longer I'll last before I make like a fairy and be gone. Right now the only redeeming feature in this is the fairy detecting mascot beastie.

And with episode 5, color me gone.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
I didn't really see the big improvement to be honest, this anime is still a huge mess. The flashbacks are irritating and my feelings for the characters alternate between "indifference" and "annoyance". I can agree with the review that the battle scenes were the best so far, but this doesn't really mean a lot by this show's standards...

They are taking silly anime names to the next level, though. I mean, Sweetie Bitter Sweet is hard to beat... Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Just reading the reviews now, until even that is too boring, but didn't we already meet the Vice Minister of Fairies? I'm sure that's why I noted his job title in Episode 4...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The difference between taking a half hour to watch “Stubborn Blacksmith and Biased Rabbit” and simply reading its paragraph[s]-long summary review is almost nonexistent.

FTFY. Smile But that's why I'm still reading. Plus watching was also like being hooked up to a Ludovico device. My sympathies to you, James. But look on the bright side. Even if this is 24 episodes, I suspect you won't have to do more than 12.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the modern anime community anymore.
I mean a show like this, as cringy as the names are, used to get a better reaction, meanwhile all girl cast shows where they drink tea or bike or something get treated like they're worth your time and NOT boring as hell...?

What is so wrong about motivations being unclear?
We know what the two lead characters (Free and Marlya) are about and that's what matters at this point in the story.
If it's still this messy or rambling in 10 episodes then I'll apologize for this but I don't think that it will be.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:
I mean a show like this, as cringy as the names are, used to get a better reaction, meanwhile all girl cast shows where they drink tea or bike or something get treated like they're worth your time and NOT boring as hell...?

This is totally just my view and you're free to call me out for being full of crap, but I think the 'modern (western) anime community' is a lot more diverse, with more diverse interests, than it was say 15 years ago. Also back then, few enough shows came over that those that did could pretty much be guaranteed a lot of interest and conversation, even if they were overall not so great. These days there are seventeen thousand and eight (I counted) shows a season, so some just fall by the wayside, and people are more discerning (or picky, take your choice).

So yeah, that cute girls doing cute tea things show is boring to you, but if that show is good at delivering to its particular niche, then you'll see people talking about it. It keeps the promises that it made to its intended audience. This show is theoretically about supernatural action and intrigue, and cool badasses doing awesome stuff. But it isn't actually very good at delivering any of that (at least in my and others' estimation), so we end up disappointed. Hence the 'meh' reaction it's getting.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:

This is totally just my view and you're free to call me out for being full of crap, but I think the 'modern (western) anime community' is a lot more diverse, with more diverse interests, than it was say 15 years ago. Also back then, few enough shows came over that those that did could pretty much be guaranteed a lot of interest and conversation, even if they were overall not so great. These days there are seventeen thousand and eight (I counted) shows a season, so some just fall by the wayside, and people are more discerning (or picky, take your choice).

So yeah, that cute girls doing cute tea things show is boring to you, but if that show is good at delivering to its particular niche, then you'll see people talking about it. It keeps the promises that it made to its intended audience. This show is theoretically about supernatural action and intrigue, and cool badasses doing awesome stuff. But it isn't actually very good at delivering any of that (at least in my and others' estimation), so we end up disappointed. Hence the 'meh' reaction it's getting.

Well, it would be better if they took a darker turn with the whole CGDCT genre. Do what Eva and apparently what Madoka did to their respective genres and make them dark and gritty.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
i like this anime and dont really care what anyone else says. yeah the cg is bad and it could do a better job telling its story but at least the premise is creative and i dont find the characters anywhere near as bland as most of the tropy teenagers that make up 95% of anime characters per season of anime.

also, dont forget the reviews for these episodes are written by 1 human being. so dont think you just need to nod and agree with the reviewer, not that they arent allowed his or her opinion, of course.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:

Well, it would be better if they took a darker turn with the whole CGDCT genre. Do what Eva and apparently what Madoka did to their respective genres and make them dark and gritty.

First off, nobody needs muh dark and gritty everything AGAIN. We only just healed from 5-6 GUISE ITZ MAGICUL GURLS BUT EDGY N BLOODY shows every season with the same plot ripping off the same shows.
Secondly, they already did that. The most notable example being School Live.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
Heishi wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:

First off, nobody needs muh dark and gritty everything AGAIN. We only just healed from 5-6 GUISE ITZ MAGICUL GURLS BUT EDGY N BLOODY shows every season with the same plot ripping off the same shows.
Secondly, they already did that. The most notable example being School Live.

I don't think School Live was very dark. The schoolgirl zombies barely looked liked real zombies. You don't see their eyes and looked more liked they were possessed or something. Besides, we need something REALLY hardcore. Like "The Sopranos" type stuff.
Stuff that would probably be considered too hardcore even for late night tv or at the very least pushes the envelope on how much you can show on late night tv. It can even be borderline hentai.
Something that goes a little bit beyond HBO levels of dark or edgy.
Something that...is hard R.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Besides, we need something REALLY hardcore. Like "The Sopranos" type stuff.
Stuff that would probably be considered too hardcore even for late night tv or at the very least pushes the envelope on how much you can show on late night tv. It can even be borderline hentai.
Something that goes a little bit beyond HBO levels of dark or edgy.
Something that...is hard R.
Your profile pic sure checks out. Very Happy

Yeah I won't pretend that I wouldn't roll my eyes hard and pass on that particular anime, but then I'd also completely support you doing you and this theoretical show doing what it can to find an audience that is into it. Well I mean within reason, there's a pretty good chance that the actual execution of this show would delve into some territory that I'd find pretty yikes-y, but that's a completely different conversation and we're OT enough already.

Anyway, to bring things vaguely back to Fairy Gone, my problem with this show isn't that I wish it was a moe blob no sharp edges story with marketable waifus, my problem is that I'm bored. Well tbh I WAS bored, I've dropped it and will not come back unless the weekly review indicates that it somehow magically becomes good.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Your profile pic sure checks out. Very Happy

I hope my profile pic doesn't offend. Chikane isn't doing anything wrong here.

Quote:
Yeah I won't pretend that I wouldn't roll my eyes hard and pass on that particular anime, but then I'd also completely support you doing you and this theoretical show doing what it can to find an audience that is into it. Well I mean within reason, there's a pretty good chance that the actual execution of this show would delve into some territory that I'd find pretty yikes-y, but that's a completely different conversation and we're OT enough already.

Trust me, only those with a high tolerance for strong violence and strong sexual content would be able to stomach something like a dark CGDCT series, one I would make, anyway.
I mean, sure, there would be stuff in it you won't find particularly in good taste, but I would argue that if I were to make both an eroge and a manga adaption of said idea, it would probably be worse, in terms of sexual content.
After all, you're probably more likely to get away with showing ultra violent content rather than showing ultra sexual content.

But you're right when you say this discussion is going off topic. If you want to know more about my idea, there's a post I made in the ANN forums somewhere titled "Anime that's not doing it for you", I think.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Heishi"]I hope my profile pic doesn't offend. Chikane isn't doing anything wrong here.[quote]Oh no, not offended at all! I could debate about Chikane and other controversial anime characters all day, but I'd never be offended. It's just a show, after all!

Besides, everyone knows Chikane is the worst. Very Happy

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I'll crawl back under my rock now and continue to read the reviews. Hope the show gets better, but I'd be very surprised (happy, but surprised) if it does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3