• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Police Are Irritated by Japanese Public's 'Flippant' Reaction to Pierre Taki's Drug Crime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
This is one of the times where police can be jerks too. I am glad that someone stood up for him knowing that everyone deserves a second chance.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:48 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

I bet they don't have to see addicts shooting up on the curb while going through the McDonalds drive-thru like we do here in Texas. I don't think us Americans have any ground to be criticizing another country when it comes to how they handle drug abuse. Maybe let's back off and let Japan do their thing. It's apparently working for them.

If people are still selling,buying, & using drugs it's not working. Just like when the U.S. tried (for no good reason) to ban the sell and consumption of alcohol remember how that one turned out?

tomdean wrote:
Can't agree more with this. I find it more irritating for people from other countries to jump ontheir own high horses(as if they are themselves some kind of moral/social God) and criticize other countries.

You don't need to be a moral or social god to criticize Japan for their harsh (but comparatively less harsh than other Asian countries) stance on drugs, or for their back breaking and moral crushing work ethic, or how they view homosexuality and mental/emotional health.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
valoon

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
I have no respect for anybody, who criminalizes drug use.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If they want to fight the drug war, they should start with alcohol and tobacco first.

Smoking drives up their health care costs greatly and they've got enough problems already caring for an aging and dying population.

Ehhhh not really, smoking actually bring healthcare cost down since smoker tend to die younger and lung cancer is really hard to treat so cost relatively little to the government since they don't survive a long time needing expensive med and treatment.
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
It's all a matter of perspective. People use to treat weed like it's horrible but now they have medical marijuana and it's alot more acceptable. Yayo was openly sold in stores back in the 1950s as a toothache cure. Is a little bit of recreation once in a while that bad?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
ACAB: All Cops Are Bakas.

Legalize it, Japan. Take that stick out of your butt and relax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
valoon wrote:
I have no respect for anybody, who criminalizes drug use.

He was using cocaine. That is one drug that should never be decriminalized. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've never suffered having a drug addict in your family...

It would be totally different if it were marijuana, but harder drugs should not be associated with casual use.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Japanese law enforcement is a [expletive] joke.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sakurafire_ wrote:
He was using cocaine. That is one drug that should never be decriminalized.

I dunno, I'd choose heroin over cocaine if I could only have one drug criminalized in perpetuity.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Why is drug use one of the strictest laws in Japan, considering if you're busted there, you're treated the same way registered sex offenders are in America? Frankly, there are certain other crimes I wish Japan treated just as harshly as drug use, I don't get justice systems sometimes...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
All societies have something or other that they view as so horrible that every little hint of it must be stamped out at all costs, and it's basically impossible to reason with them on it. Usually (but not always) it is at least somewhat an actual problem, but blown out of all proportion by some major event. For Japan and many other Asian countries, it's drugs. The "why" in this case is the Opium Wars.

The subjugation of China through opium during the 19th century is definitely part of the reason though an individual vs group view of society is the other. There are no health benefits to cocaine, heroin, and meth but there are plenty of negatives.

El Hermano wrote:
I bet they don't have to see addicts shooting up on the curb while going through the McDonalds drive-thru like we do here in Texas. I don't think us Americans have any ground to be criticizing another country when it comes to how they handle drug abuse. Maybe let's back off and let Japan do their thing. It's apparently working for them.

Agreed, and it is ironic when people who live in countries with much higher crime rates lecture Japan on how they need to change their laws. The Japanese police are wasting their time trying with the pro-drug people on twitter but they have reason for their concern. The general impression of drugs is an important factor in whether children start taking them and that was used by the tobacco industry.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Why is drug use one of the strictest laws in Japan, considering if you're busted there, you're treated the same way registered sex offenders are in America?

A combination of the general societal values of the good of the family and society over individual desires, and fallout from the Opium Wars where the British Empire devastated China by flooding it with opium and getting people addicted to it.
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Frankly, there are certain other crimes I wish Japan treated just as harshly as drug use, I don't get justice systems sometimes...

The most fundamental thing to understanding them is knowing that while many people call them justice systems, they're actually legal systems. Which is to say, they're primarily concerned with whether or not something is legal, rather than whether or not it is just. And changes to the law are for the government to make.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading that much like the US house the Japanese Diet is "Gerrymandered" to favor the rural areas over the urban ones, meaning the Japanese gov is more conservative than the main population.

Given the long rule of the LDP that's likely the case.

Worldwide we have people moving away from "war on drugs"

and that's a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If they want to fight the drug war, they should start with alcohol and tobacco first.

Smoking drives up their health care costs greatly and they've got enough problems already caring for an aging and dying population. Of course that would mean having the Japanese government actually get out of the tobacco business.

Then you have salary men getting drunk everyday making fools of themselves, inebriated on the streets and misbehaving to coworkers, whose behavior society turns a blind eye to. If you want to talk about drugs causing societal problems, alcohol is the one to start with.

Of course this is just to point out the hypocrisy in drug laws. Given free will and personal responsibility no one should be pointing guns tell you what to do with yourself.

^^^^Thank you for saying this. I couldn't have agreed anymore than this.

Not to mention, a lot of countries think weed is the worst thing when tobacco and alcohol is just as bad yet we still have it around. A lot of people in Japan are ignorant about not knowing about certain things. I don't blame them since they should have people know better there who are the higher ups.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

The most fundamental thing to understanding them is knowing that while many people call them justice systems, they're actually legal systems. Which is to say, they're primarily concerned with whether or not something is legal, rather than whether or not it is just. And changes to the law are for the government to make.

Justice system is just short for criminal justice system. It has a specific meaning and is responsible for far more than you're implying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3